Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 09:51   #6736
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoc14 View Post
The front page of BBC News is reporting that BritBox has gone live today.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50320731
Glad to see that Britbox will, in fact, have new shows on it as well. The earlier Guardian report did not mention this!
Advertisement
Old 07-11-2019, 11:27   #6737
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Britbox will struggle in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:31   #6738
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Don't be the Messenger of bad tidings MM as you know it won't go down well with OB.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:50   #6739
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Don't be the Messenger of bad tidings MM as you know it won't go down well with OB.
It will struggle in my opinion for several reasons

1. Only available on TV from launch on Samsung TV and Apple TV.
2. On the link posted here today it says they'll still have content on Netflix , Amazon etc.
3. Many pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV.
4. iPlayer has certain Boxsets available
5. UKTV still show many of the old shows.
6. Too much competition from bigger global players many of which they are still making content available on.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01   #6740
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

2. On the link posted here today it says they'll still have content on Netflix , Amazon etc.
3. Many pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV.
6. Too much competition from bigger global players many of which they are still making content available on.
Indeed as we have a LG TV which are popular TV's but there are many households with Sony , Panasonic and other makes of TV as well.

Having content still on Amazon , Netflix etc is not a good start either.

Having pay TV deals in place for archive BBC and ITV content for those who have traditional pay TV was always going to be another significant barrier as you have pointed out.

As yourself and many have already pointed out in that UKTV has much of this older content which is another barrier to take up.

Britbox remind me of a non league football team who is trying to stick one on a much bigger opponent and generally 99% of the time the ending does not end well.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:08   #6741
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I think so too i've already seen a large number of comments on other sites saying people are not paying for britbox when they pay tv licence.
Also being on very limited devices at launch won't help i feel.
Old 07-11-2019, 17:32   #6742
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is good news that Britbox will be showing content from all the main terrestrial channels. However, a notable omission from this article was any reference to original programming. I wonder if that is significant, and whether perhaps a decision has been made not to go there yet.

From what I can see, I would have viewed all the content on there already that would be of any interest to me, so I won't be subscribing for now. However, I can see how attractive this service would be to some.

Maybe this service will enable people to cut back on the amount they record from the main channels, particularly if you could guarantee that they would, in fact, appear on Britbox.
£6 to watch endless repeats of programmes shown for FREE many years ago - won't be getting anything from me!
Old 07-11-2019, 18:33   #6743
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50331667

Older Samsung TV models losing access to Netflix (2010, 2011 models).

I accept these are old televisions, however for those that want to plug their telly in and just watch it this is a backward step.
Old 07-11-2019, 18:55   #6744
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-50331667

Older Samsung TV models losing access to Netflix (2010, 2011 models).

I accept these are old televisions, however for those that want to plug their telly in and just watch it this is a backward step.
That is old news and to be frank I'm quite surprised such old TV's still have access to Netflix.
8 and 9 years is an exceptionally long time for the so called smart functions of a smart TV to still be working. Buyers of those sets have had better support than most people will ever receive.

On another note Reed Hastings has ruled out having advertising on Netflix as well as welcoming competition from Disney and other streamers

https://www.engadget.com/2019/11/07/...than-subscrip/
Old 07-11-2019, 19:45   #6745
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
I only tell it as I see it, Den. What will be, will be.

I wish Britbox well but I won't be subscribing myself, at least while the offerings remain as they are.

In the longer term, it may be that Britbox replaces the linear channels, at which time it will increase its popularity considerably. If it hasn't fallen over by then, of course.

---------- Post added at 18:45 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Quote:

My comments are:

1. You can also access Britbox on the Amazon Fire stick via Firefox. However, I am very surprised that they should have so few platforms from which to launch this service. Even Roku doesn't have it yet, despite the fact that Apple+ launched on the platform on day one. I think it was a huge omission not to have Britbox up and running on Sky, Virgin, BT and Talk Talk.It sounds to me that maybe it has been a bit rushed.

2. I guess there are contractual reasons for not pulling the material from other platforms, but it will be interesting to see whether any newer stuff from the terrestrials finds its way there.

3. True.

4. Also true.

5. Hazarding a guess, I think the UKTV channels will be withdrawn at some point, but it does depend on the extent to which these channels are regarded as taking away potential subscribers from Britbox.

6. I can't see many people ditching Netflix or Amazon for Britbox. Britbox is going to appeal to a particular type of audience at the moment - those who really like the UKTV channels in particular. Others will be attracted to it when the number of originals on it make it worthwhile.
Old 07-11-2019, 23:10   #6746
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
6. I can't see many people ditching Netflix or Amazon for Britbox. Britbox is going to appeal to a particular type of audience at the moment - those who really like the UKTV channels in particular. Others will be attracted to it when the number of originals on it make it worthwhile.
I'd consider subbing IF they showed some classic programmes rather then just recycle whats on every other service going such as UKTV, Prime etc.

Talking Pictures are picking up on the classic shows at the moment - just started to watch Catweazle each weekend which as far as I can remember hasn't been on in decades.
More shows like this which haven't been on for years would peak my interest.
Old 07-11-2019, 23:24   #6747
Aguero9320
cf.addict

Services: Sky Q, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Paramount+, Apple TV+
Aguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really niceAguero9320 is just really nice

Disney+’s UK launch date now official: 31st March 2020.

http://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-...on-march-31st/
Old 08-11-2019, 06:32   #6748
DVD Cinema
cf.addict

DVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about themDVD Cinema has a spectacular aura about them

Britbox will have movies from Film 4 too in 2020.

I hope they are in Dolby 5.1.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:31   #6749
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguero9320 View Post
Disney+’s UK launch date now official: 31st March 2020.

http://whatsondisneyplus.com/disney-...on-march-31st/
It will be interesting to see what is on offer in the UK. In the US, there will also be the Hulu and ESPN strands available. Without these, Disney + will not be the draw that it is over the pond, although I guess it will still be popular.

According to the link below, 25% of Brits intend to subscribe to Disney+ when it launches over here. That's a pretty good start.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...ing-to-disney/

Last edited by OLD BOY; 08-11-2019 at 08:46.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:48   #6750
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
It will be interesting to see what is on offer in the UK. In the US, there will also be the Hulu and ESPN strands available. Without these, Disney + will not be the draw that it is over the pond, although I guess it will still be popular.
You have been told this multiple times , ESPN has no key UK rights and has a deal with BT for some of its US Sport so no chance of that.

Hulu still offers content from ABC , NBC , Fox and Warner so no chance of that anytime soonin its current form.
Closed Thread