Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2019, 09:26   #5206
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

That isn't possible on most streaming apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Top tip, record things then Fast Forward through the ads. This is top secret, don't tell anyone else
Advertisement
Old 03-05-2019, 10:46   #5207
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
That isn't possible on most streaming apps.
That's what I thought. Has this changed recently?
Old 03-05-2019, 10:53   #5208
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
You seem to be misunderstanding demographics - at no point did I imply that 'all' high earners would take subscription services and that no low earners would. That's a ridiculous assertion, but very much a straw man argument on your part because it simply isn't what I said.

Streamers will be able to gleam so much useful information about their subscriber base, location, working pattern - even social habits and holiday habits. Is the viewer in on Friday and Saturday nights? Do they log in from Dubai, Benidorm or Blackpool when away from home?

Youtube isn't selling premium content, it's selling 'no adverts'.
Except that I did not make that assertion. I was trying to put across that while Netflix attracts more better off viewers than those less well off, they cannot be sure that they would retain those viewers if they incorporated advertising. Therefore, Netflix would be likely to lose money, not gain, from incorporating advertisements.

So if Netflix went down the advertisements route, they would need an ad free option with a subscription, which is the route All4 and the ITV Hub are taking here in the UK.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:23   #5209
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Except that I did not make that assertion. I was trying to put across that while Netflix attracts more better off viewers than those less well off, they cannot be sure that they would retain those viewers if they incorporated advertising. Therefore, Netflix would be likely to lose money, not gain, from incorporating advertisements.

So if Netflix went down the advertisements route, they would need an ad free option with a subscription, which is the route All4 and the ITV Hub are taking here in the UK.
Literally you said:

Not all high earners subscribe to Netflix and probably less would do so if they had to sit through hours of mindless adverts.

That is a textbook case of the straw man.

You seem to be speculating a lot in favour of your own preferred outcome. You don’t want ads on Netflix, but you’re ignoring how lucrative a revenue stream it will be for a company substantially in debt. The vast majority of people tolerate ads on subscription services as it stands - there’s no reason to expect long term delivery over the internet to be any different.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37   #5210
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Literally you said:

Not all high earners subscribe to Netflix and probably less would do so if they had to sit through hours of mindless adverts.

You seem to be speculating a lot in favour of your own preferred outcome. You don’t want ads on Netflix, but you’re ignoring how lucrative a revenue stream it will be for a company substantially in debt. The vast majority of people tolerate ads on subscription services as it stands - there’s no reason to expect long term delivery over the internet to be any different.
I know I said that, but you misrepresented what I said.

If you really believe that most people don't mind unskippable ads on their on demand services, I think you are in an extreme minority in believing that.

Have you noticed when you go to the cinema how many people turn up late to avoid the commercials?
Old 03-05-2019, 11:41   #5211
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Literally you said:

A company without adverts as a part of their revenue stream is a company that will not surprise in the long run as adverts bring a lot of monetary value to a companies overall financial results at the end of each financial year.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:57   #5212
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
I know I said that, but you misrepresented what I said.

If you really believe that most people don't mind unskippable ads on their on demand services, I think you are in an extreme minority in believing that.

Have you noticed when you go to the cinema how many people turn up late to avoid the commercials?
You’re, perhaps mistakenly. assuming that the content providers will give people a choice in the matter. There’s also a huge gap between a half hour of ads (another straw man) and trailers prior to a movie and thirty or sixty seconds of ads before a television programme.

One or two extremely tailored adverts.

I think people would prefer no adverts, of course, but despite this ads remain prevalent - even on subscription television as a while. Whether it’d force people to change provider or not is another matter - especially if said provider had the most popular content.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:13   #5213
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I don’t mind ads on commercial TV because that’s how the service is paid for. I hated them on Sky because not only was I paying for the service I was also being shown more ads per hour than is even allowed on public service TV. And I absolutely loathe anything unskippable on a DVD that I’ve just paid for.

I wouldn’t object to a relevant, static, side bar advert alongside my menu on Netflix or Prime but I wouldn’t be at all happy with any commercials playing before or during my programme.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:52   #5214
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
I watch an absolute maximum of 2 hours in an evening (but sometimes up to six hours on a Friday or Saturday evening when we don't go out, staying up to about 2am).

I'm very active during the day and am fairly slimline these days.

It's not about quantity, but quality.
If the programs you watch are quality, having advert breaks does not change that - albeit it is nicer not to have them.

As there will not be any linear to in your future world, companies will have to advertise on streaming - get used to it

Like them or not ads keep costs down, so not to have them means paying more!
Old 03-05-2019, 14:19   #5215
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
If the programs you watch are quality, having advert breaks does not change that - albeit it is nicer not to have them.

As there will not be any linear to in your future world, companies will have to advertise on streaming - get used to it

Like them or not ads keep costs down, so not to have them means paying more!
Yes, well I and many others would rather pay more than have the things we watch ruined by advertisements that we have no choice but to view.

---------- Post added at 13:18 ---------- Previous post was at 13:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
I don’t mind ads on commercial TV because that’s how the service is paid for. I hated them on Sky because not only was I paying for the service I was also being shown more ads per hour than is even allowed on public service TV. And I absolutely loathe anything unskippable on a DVD that I’ve just paid for.

I wouldn’t object to a relevant, static, side bar advert alongside my menu on Netflix or Prime but I wouldn’t be at all happy with any commercials playing before or during my programme.
I don't mind them on commercial TV simply because I can fast forward through them. You can't do that with the streamers.

Like you, I would not object if ads were introduced only on the menus.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
A company without adverts as a part of their revenue stream is a company that will not surprise in the long run as adverts bring a lot of monetary value to a companies overall financial results at the end of each financial year.
And that's fine, provided there is a non-advert subscription option.
Old 03-05-2019, 14:41   #5216
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

No - the apps adverts if anything are getting more strict.

You can not FF thru them and now not even past them on some apps.

So for some, if there is an ad break at 20 minutes and you skip straight to 25 minutes - you get the adbreak from the 20 minutes position before it plays from your selection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
That's what I thought. Has this changed recently?
Old 03-05-2019, 15:36   #5217
oliver1948uk
cf.geek

Services: VM Mix TV, 200 internet, basic house phone. Also Virgin mobile phone
oliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quadsoliver1948uk has a fine set of Quads

All this about advertisements seems to me to support the current practice of recording your preferences off linear TV and then fast forwarding through the bits you don't want
Old 03-05-2019, 15:53   #5218
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Discovery looks like the next streaming service to be ready to go. No word yet about when it will become a global service, although I would have thought this would follow within a year of being launched in the US.

https://www.digitaltveurope.com/2019...svod-platform/

---------- Post added at 14:53 ---------- Previous post was at 14:52 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver1948uk View Post
All this about advertisements seems to me to support the current practice of recording your preferences off linear TV and then fast forwarding through the bits you don't want
That's what we do now. You can't do that with streaming services containing commercials, though.
Old 03-05-2019, 16:17   #5219
jfman
Architect of Ideas

A global service within a year is highly unlikely given there will be carriage deals in place already for many of the counties around he world.
Old 03-05-2019, 17:21   #5220
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
A global service within a year is highly unlikely given there will be carriage deals in place already for many of the counties around he world.
That depends on how many of those carriage deals remain in place and how much material Discovery possesses which will not be covered by such deals in a couple of years' time.

You will be aware that Netflix in the US has a bigger library than we have access to in the UK simply because a proportion of that content is not for showing in the UK. Given that carriage deals typically last 4 or 5 years and that Discovery would have been planning this for a while, I would be surprised if such rights were much of an issue by 2021.
Closed Thread