Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 12-05-2019, 12:02   #5266
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

It's actually easy to imagine Netflix declining. You yourself are the biggest advocate of a streaming future with a large number of providers. It is simply not realistic, in any market, to expect that a large number of new entrants will not have a negative effect on incumbents. Consumers don't have infinite cash so will make choices as to which provides best value. You also point out how flexible the price plans are, making them disposable quite easily.

Netflix doesn't own much of the content on it's platform so the long term risk is that the new entrants happen to be the content owners themselves weakening the position of Netflix significantly.
There we go, the prophet of doom declares that Netflix, the streamer that has single handedly transformed the TV landscape for the better, will soon be in its death throes!

Netflix is well placed to dominate for some time yet and the huge debts it has accrued are all part of its operating model. The reason why it's investing so much in its Originals is to ensure that Netflix still has a huge library of content to offer its subscribers. If the non-Originals were to disappear overnight, it would not make a scrap of difference to my viewing and I'm sure that many, like me, take Netflix purely for those Originals.

As for other competing streamers, yes, more will come on the scene over a relatively short timescale, but it is the pay tv channels that will suffer, not Netflix. It is true that people have only so much money to play with, but given the choice of cheap, bountiful content on the streamers, and expensive pay tv channels that incorporate hours of dross between one or two gems, what choices do you expect the public to make?
Advertisement
Old 12-05-2019, 13:21   #5267
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
There we go, the prophet of doom declares that Netflix, the streamer that has single handedly transformed the TV landscape for the better, will soon be in its death throes!

Netflix is well placed to dominate for some time yet and the huge debts it has accrued are all part of its operating model. The reason why it's investing so much in its Originals is to ensure that Netflix still has a huge library of content to offer its subscribers. If the non-Originals were to disappear overnight, it would not make a scrap of difference to my viewing and I'm sure that many, like me, take Netflix purely for those Originals.

As for other competing streamers, yes, more will come on the scene over a relatively short timescale, but it is the pay tv channels that will suffer, not Netflix. It is true that people have only so much money to play with, but given the choice of cheap, bountiful content on the streamers, and expensive pay tv channels that incorporate hours of dross between one or two gems, what choices do you expect the public to make?
Plenty of companies have transformed landscapes then ceased to exist/got taken over once the rest of the market has caught up with them.

It's a ridiculous notion to say that 'only' pay-tv channels (by this I presume you mean Comcast owned Sky, Liberty Global owned Virgin Media and others) will suffer and Netflix thrive with the increased competition in the market. The market for those willing to spend £8 a month for additional content has a finite size.

The public continue to make their choice month in, month out with direct debits worth hundreds of millions each month heading to Sky, Virgin Media and BT and I don't see any reason why people won't continue to do so. There's plenty of quality on demand content on those platforms too, for anyone with an irrational fear of linear television channels. There's also premium sport content, which given the prices paid appear to be the most popular/profitable content for platforms. No streamer has demonstrated a business model for this and every time I bring it up you just tell me that's different!
Old 12-05-2019, 13:22   #5268
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Now TV 1080p streaming coming this year, Full HD video trials underway

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/news/...vice-launching
I have recently been accepted onto the next Now TV trial, I am hoping it will be testing the new 1080P service.
I don't know too much about at it the moment apart from you have to have a Now TV device (smart box, stick or 4K box) and by Googling the name of the trial it appears to be something to do with video player software.

I would expect once it starts I will have to sign a NDA so wont be able to report what the new service is like,
but if not I'll try and give you guys and gals here a heads up on what its like.
Hopefully as well as the resolution they'll up the framerate of the sports channels too.
Old 12-05-2019, 17:07   #5269
cupcakes aka dd
cf.geek

Services: Almost the lot
cupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud ofcupcakes aka dd has much to be proud of

People with Now TV Sticks can forget 1080. The wifi pickup on them isn't that good unless it's sitting next to the router. Mines about 20ft away and its hit and miss. Had to opt for the PS4 app instead
Old 12-05-2019, 17:29   #5270
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Plenty of companies have transformed landscapes then ceased to exist/got taken over once the rest of the market has caught up with them.

It's a ridiculous notion to say that 'only' pay-tv channels (by this I presume you mean Comcast owned Sky, Liberty Global owned Virgin Media å others) will suffer and Netflix thrive with the increased competition in the market. The market for those willing to spend £8 a month for additional content has a finite size.

The public continue to make their choice month in, month out with direct debits worth hundreds of millions each month heading to Sky, Virgin Media and BT and I don't see any reason why people won't continue to do so. There's plenty of quality on demand content on those platforms too, for anyone with an irrational fear of linear television channels. There's also premium sport content, which given the prices paid appear to be the most popular/profitable content for platforms. No streamer has demonstrated a business model for this and every time I bring it up you just tell me that's different!
I don't think Comcast/Sky or Liberty Global/Virgin Media will have insufficient subscribers. What I am saying is that the streaming services will replace TV channels.

Sky and VM will have bouquets of SVOD/AVOD services instead. That is the way this is going.

Ditch the traditional pay TV channels for the new VOD services and you will get better choice and see some change out of what you were paying before. Why is that a bad thing?

As for premium sport, Sky will simply set up a stteaming service and compete with the likes of Amazon. Incidentally, you did clock that Amazon is showing premiership matches free of extra charge, didn't you? Disney + will also be showing sport on its ESPN strand, and I think that will be at a pretty reasonable price.

The cost of some sports such as boxing are high anyway, whether or not we receive it by traditional means.

By the way, where does any 'fear' of traditional broadcast channels come from? Nobody fears them, old chap, they are just on their way out, and over the next decade, that will become pretty obvious - even to you.
Old 12-05-2019, 17:48   #5271
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Amazon won packages that didn't meet the reserve price the FAPL had at the first round of auction, low cost rights allow Amazon to show games in something like four separate time slots during the season. By comparison, Sky showed 9 games on Sky One this season. None of this breaks current business models.

You think, but can't demonstrate, that Disney will enter the market at a "reasonable" price, nor can you demonstrate that at said price it could sustain buying the highest profile rights presently held by Sky or BT and that they could turn a profit from doing so.

Linear TV gone by 2029? That's quite quick considering it took us 14 years to complete digital switch over.

The fear of linear TV is your attitude towards it. To the rest of the population many watch (and pay heavily to services providing) it day in, day out, without any significant distress caused to their day to day lives. Right now I'm watching the climax of the Premier League without having to avoid Twitter in case I find out what happens on there before it happens on my TV screen (as appears to be the case with so-called live streaming).
Old 12-05-2019, 18:35   #5272
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Amazon won packages that didn't meet the reserve price the FAPL had at the first round of auction, low cost rights allow Amazon to show games in something like four separate time slots during the season. By comparison, Sky showed 9 games on Sky One this season. None of this breaks current business models.

You think, but can't demonstrate, that Disney will enter the market at a "reasonable" price, nor can you demonstrate that at said price it could sustain buying the highest profile rights presently held by Sky or BT and that they could turn a profit from doing so.

Linear TV gone by 2029? That's quite quick considering it took us 14 years to complete digital switch over.

The fear of linear TV is your attitude towards it. To the rest of the population many watch (and pay heavily to services providing) it day in, day out, without any significant distress caused to their day to day lives. Right now I'm watching the climax of the Premier League without having to avoid Twitter in case I find out what happens on there before it happens on my TV screen (as appears to be the case with so-called live streaming).
Well, it's likely to be less than $5 in the States, so I would not expect ESPN to be too expensive here. I can demonstrate that Disney will enter at a reasonable price, actually, by the way.. Clock this:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/1...le-deal-likely

Once again, your negative view of all this is wrong. The big question really is whether ESPN UK will carry any of the football premier league packages, and whether Disney will be able to absorb some of that cost as a loss leader.

Amazon certainly would, without question, although some doubting Thomases on here still refuse to believe it. The fact that Amazon have got the lowest Premiership package only this time around is acknowledged. However, you have totally ignored the fact that they are providing these matches with no extra charge. Not very Sky-like, is it?

My 'attitude' towards linear channels is most certainly not based on any 'fear' on my part - why would I fear them? They will be dying off soon. It's pretty obvious really but it's difficult to 'prove' what hasn't happened yet. However, that doesn't make you right, not by a long chalk.

Incidentally, where did I say that linear TV would be gone by 2029? My view has always been that they will be gone (at least for all intents and purposes) by 2035.
Old 12-05-2019, 18:46   #5273
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Well, it's likely to be less than $5 in the States, so I would not expect ESPN to be too expensive here. I can demonstrate that Disney will enter at a reasonable price, actually, by the way.. Clock this:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/4/11/1...le-deal-likely

Once again, your negative view of all this is wrong. The big question really is whether ESPN UK will carry any of the football premier league packages, and whether Disney will be able to absorb some of that cost as a loss leader.

Amazon certainly would, without question, although some doubting Thomases on here still refuse to believe it. The fact that Amazon have got the lowest Premiership package only this time around is acknowledged. However, you have totally ignored the fact that they are providing these matches with no extra charge. Not very Sky-like, is it?

My 'attitude' towards linear channels is most certainly not based on any 'fear' on my part - why would I fear them? They will be dying off soon. It's pretty obvious really but it's difficult to 'prove' what hasn't happened yet. However, that doesn't make you right, not by a long chalk.

Incidentally, where did I say that linear TV would be gone by 2029? My view has always been that they will be gone (at least for all intents and purposes) by 2035.
Your link doesn't even prove that a Disney sports service will launch in this country, let alone at a reasonable price. It's going to take a lot of $5s to recoup the thick end of £4.6bn if they did enter.

Sky offering Premier League games on Sky One (available in the basic packages on Sky and Virgin) is exactly the same as Amazon offering them "free" to subscribers to Prime.

Again there's much speculation that these huge global entities will be willing to take a hit on the Premiership rights without actually considering why they'd bother? If they can't turn a profit from them in the three year window what's the long term benefit? As you've said many times before - these are flexible packages people can just leave easily and there will be plenty of other choices available.
Old 13-05-2019, 23:42   #5274
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeye View Post
I have recently been accepted onto the next Now TV trial, I am hoping it will be testing the new 1080P service.
I don't know too much about at it the moment apart from you have to have a Now TV device (smart box, stick or 4K box) and by Googling the name of the trial it appears to be something to do with video player software.

I would expect once it starts I will have to sign a NDA so wont be able to report what the new service is like,
but if not I'll try and give you guys and gals here a heads up on what its like.
Hopefully as well as the resolution they'll up the framerate of the sports channels too.
You might get a voice activated remote, which Comcast now issue to its subscribers. You may also get more search options, like you can find out what songs are being played in a film, as but one example. This is all Comcast stuff, that I expect will arrive at some point either with Now TV and/or Sky's full tv service.
Old 14-05-2019, 00:06   #5275
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
You might get a voice activated remote, which Comcast now issue to its subscribers. You may also get more search options, like you can find out what songs are being played in a film, as but one example. This is all Comcast stuff, that I expect will arrive at some point either with Now TV and/or Sky's full tv service.
Sky Q already does voice search and other voice functionality however this will expand further using Comcast technology.
Old 14-05-2019, 00:16   #5276
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
The proof is there and already posted here (by yourself??).

Pay tv is on rapid decline in the States, while streaming services like Netflix and now Hulu have been on the rapid increase. If people want links to this proof, they can type into Google themselves, but take one example: Comcast.

Comcast is rapidly losing pay tv subscribers, especially among the younger age bracket 20-35, but they are rapidly gaining broadband customers instead as the younger folks use the streaming services. Link to these figures are here:

https://www.cmcsa.com/news-releases/...r-2019-results

This is happening to all the pay tv companies in America as people cut their cords in favour of streaming.

How much proof do people want that linear tv is in terminal decline? Will they only agree when BBC1 is left broadcasting??
Old 14-05-2019, 00:22   #5277
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

How many of those are then signing upto TV services like Youtube TV , Sling TV , Hulu Live TV , DirecTV Now ?

All of which offer linear TV the only difference being streamed rather than over satellite or cable.
Old 14-05-2019, 06:54   #5278
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Apple TV is now available on non-Apple devices.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/13/...ung-smart-tvs/

I've just got it on my Samsung 2018 TV. 4k HDR content is available, however it doesn't look like iTunes Extra content is.

Additionally Airplay 2 is supported and also works as you'd expect.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:03   #5279
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
How many of those are then signing upto TV services like Youtube TV , Sling TV , Hulu Live TV , DirecTV Now ?

All of which offer linear TV the only difference being streamed rather than over satellite or cable.
True, but it is a different method of delivery, as in Pluto TV.

---------- Post added at 08:03 ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Apple TV is now available on non-Apple devices.

https://www.engadget.com/2019/05/13/...ung-smart-tvs/

I've just got it on my Samsung 2018 TV. 4k HDR content is available, however it doesn't look like iTunes Extra content is.

Additionally Airplay 2 is supported and also works as you'd expect.
The big question being - will VM carry Apple+?

Apple wants to get this streamer onto as many platforms as possible, so hopefully VM will be an attractive proposition.
Old 14-05-2019, 09:05   #5280
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
The proof is there and already posted here (by yourself??).

Pay tv is on rapid decline in the States, while streaming services like Netflix and now Hulu have been on the rapid increase. If people want links to this proof, they can type into Google themselves, but take one example: Comcast.

Comcast is rapidly losing pay tv subscribers, especially among the younger age bracket 20-35, but they are rapidly gaining broadband customers instead as the younger folks use the streaming services. Link to these figures are here:

https://www.cmcsa.com/news-releases/...r-2019-results

This is happening to all the pay tv companies in America as people cut their cords in favour of streaming.

How much proof do people want that linear tv is in terminal decline? Will they only agree when BBC1 is left broadcasting??
Any proof of terminal decline at all would be helpful at all.

You, like Old Boy, are making the false assumption that current pay-tv companies do not adapt and decline to zero while streaming service subscriber penetration will rise to the sum total of human population.

Fanciful.
Closed Thread