Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus

Old 13-03-2022, 23:18   #1756
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I think you’ll find the recent omicron wave completely ………………..whatever, supports that view.
... and I was a case in point.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2022, 08:54   #1757
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
If you want to be a dick I can happily remove you from the topic.

Rising cases do not automatically mean rising hospital admissions, or deaths, as was noted in the figures many times over the last few months.

You are free to obsess over one virus if you want, I will be carrying on with my life, and worry about more important things that actually matter to me.
I am not being a "dick" as you so eloquently put it. I am pointing out the mistake in your evident denial of where this virus could take us.

A case in point:

Daily Covid cases surge 60% in a week to 61,900 in biggest rise since Freedom Day as admissions climb by a quarter and deaths creep up 9%

Quote:
Britain's Covid wave continued to rebound today, official data showed as cases surged by their largest jump since Freedom Day.

Government dashboard data revealed there were 61,900 new positive tests over the last 24 hours, up 58.7 per cent on last week's figure of 39,000.

There were also a further 212 people deaths registered today, up 9.3 per cent on the 194 recorded last Tuesday.

Meanwhile, hospitalisations continued to increase to 1,253 on March 4, the latest date UK-wide data is available for. That marks a 23.4 per cent rise on the 1,1015 the week before.

Infections first began picking up last Wednesday in a possible sign of the effect of lifting all measures in England on February 24. Hospital admissions - a lagging indicator - have started to creep up in the past week.

The rise in cases also coincides with the emergence of new, more infectious version of Omicron that has become dominant — although experts insist it is just as mild as its parent strain.

Figures also show that hospitals in the South West of England are recording more daily Covid admissions now than during the peak of the Omicron wave.

The region saw 150 admissions a day on average during the week to March 5, up 30 per cent in the first full week after 'Freedom Day'. For comparison, average daily virus admissions reached a previous high of 142 on December 31 at the peak of the Omicron wave.

Experts today claimed there was no reason to panic yet but admitted it may be an early sign of booster vaccine immunity starting to wane.
We need to remain vigilent.
Old 14-03-2022, 09:22   #1758
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Experts today claimed there was no reason to panic yet but admitted it may be an early sign of booster vaccine immunity starting to wane.
These "experts" have been prophets of doom throughout the pandemic, which lost their credibility in recent months.

Of course positive tests are rising since isolation stopped; I was one of them (although this was contracted second hand from Royal Berkshire Hospital). I didn't 100% isolate so may well have contributed to the numbers.

My point, however, is that my booster was 5 months ago and I'm classed as vulnerable. No more than a prolonged cold, no aches etc, and the booster clearly did its job.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 09:28   #1759
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Ex - Has been
Spurt - Small drip under pressure.
Old 14-03-2022, 09:44   #1760
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I am not being a "dick" as you so eloquently put it. I am pointing out the mistake in your evident denial of where this virus could take us.

A case in point:

Daily Covid cases surge 60% in a week to 61,900 in biggest rise since Freedom Day as admissions climb by a quarter and deaths creep up 9%

We need to remain vigilent.
% are the dog turd of statistics look at the numbers:

Quote:
hospitalisations continued to increase to 1,253 on March 4, the latest date UK-wide data is available for. That marks a 23.4 per cent rise on the 1,1015 the week before.

Quote:
The region saw 150 admissions a day on average during the week to March 5, up 30 per cent in the first full week after 'Freedom Day'. For comparison, average daily virus admissions reached a previous high of 142 on December 31 at the peak of the Omicron wave.
Old 14-03-2022, 09:51   #1761
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

With small number, small changes give big percentages.

Last week : 1 death, This week : 2 deaths -> 100% increase
Last week : 100 deaths, This week : 150 deaths -> 50% increase but actual more real deaths

Increases now restrictions have been removed/eased in not exactly unexpected. New variants not unexpected and note the new variants (AFAWK) are coming from "outside" so what we really need to do is aid other countries to get their figures down and maintain border security.
Old 14-03-2022, 18:13   #1762
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

All UK travel rules to end on Friday.

Quote:
Currently, everyone travelling to the UK must complete a passenger locator form before they arrive.

Travellers who are not fully vaccinated have to take a Covid test before departure, fill in the form, and book and pay for a PCR test after arriving.

Grant Shapps confirmed in a tweet that these rules will end at 04:00 on Friday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60741158

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2022, 18:58   #1763
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Hooray for that.
Old 16-03-2022, 13:06   #1764
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

This one made me laugh.
Attached Images
File Type: png Infectious.png (15.6 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by 1andrew1; 16-03-2022 at 13:09.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 13:52   #1765
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Snigger
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 14:28   #1766
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://twitter.com/imperialcollege/...369843713?s=21

Quote:
The Telegraph has corrected and apologised for another untrue claim about Imperial #COVID19 epidemiology. It's the 16th time they have had to correct or clarify false or misleading reporting on Imperial coronavirus research.

The newspaper falsely claimed that following a ‘brief spike in cases during summer 2021’ Prof Neil Ferguson predicted that ‘Britain would soon hit one million infections a day'. He and his Imperial team made no such prediction.

The Telegraph had come up with this claim by picking one of 72 analyses from a study - in this case clearly labelled as 'pessimistic' hypothetical and specific scenarios - and misleadingly presented it as a prediction of what 'would' happen. It was nothing of the sort.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 723D66A4-5C01-4544-8618-C34DDB48FF80.jpeg (117.1 KB, 126 views)
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 21:05   #1767
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Lying is OK Hugh, our Prime Minister continues to demonstrate that.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 21:23   #1768
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

I would like to know how many of the 72 analysis's of the study even came close to being correct. Surely if there was even 1 they would be crowing about it.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 09:00   #1769
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
I would like to know how many of the 72 analysis's of the study even came close to being correct. Surely if there was even 1 they would be crowing about it.
I don't think Imperial do 'crowing'. Though any published Covid predictions are doomed to failure because people modify their behaviour based on them. In that sense, the Telegraph's sloppy reporting may have done us a favour.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 11:02   #1770
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Just as a point of interest following posts made on this thread last year about Covid restrictions being flaunted in Westminster and Downing Street. It appears that some fines may soon be issued.
Quote:
The first fines for breaches of Covid-19 lockdown rules as part of a police inquiry into government parties will be issued soon, the BBC has been told.

The Metropolitan Police will issue at least 15 fixed-penalty fines initially and could start on Tuesday, Westminster sources suggest.

The investigation of 12 events held across government began in January.

It came after an internal inquiry passed information to the force.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60906757