Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | If I move House

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Check Postcode

Old 25-04-2022, 20:33   #1
ImWatchingTV
cf.member

ImWatchingTV is an unknown quantity at this point
Check Postcode

Does anyone know of any site where I can check Virgin Media broadband availability and speeds without entering an address or phone number? I would like to check what I could get but the VM site asks for a phone number and address which I do not want to give as the last time I did this on the EE site they started sending me junk mail and sales calls. I tried sites like check postcode, but they seem to give just the highest speed overall instead of specifically VM? I think many years ago there was a tool called Sam Knows, not sure if thats still going or not?
ImWatchingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-04-2022, 20:58   #2
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Check Postcode

SamKnows is still very much around and is the de-facto authority for speed tests as far as VM are concerned. If you use the VM post code checker you do not need to enter your phone number. Entering a Virgin Media phone number is just another means of them identifying which segment of the network you are on so they can tell you exactly which services are available to you because it can literally vary street by street.

You can use the post code checker and just put your post code and house number in. You won't get any phone calls or anything through the post. It is purely to tell you what services (and broadband speed) are available at the address you provided. Otherwise how else would they be able to tell you? I used it daily for months to see when 1gbit was available in my area. Use this link:

https://www.virginmedia.com/postcode-checker

As an fyi, if you put in an address (yours or anyone else's) which is already serviced by VM it asks you to login so you can see available upgrade options. If you don't want the faff and are after a quick glance of what is available regardless of price then just pick a different house number in the list which you know isn't currently serviced by VM. I know my neighbour is with BT so I always use their house number.

Last edited by General Maximus; 25-04-2022 at 21:02.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 21:50   #3
ImWatchingTV
cf.member

ImWatchingTV is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, I'll give it a go, I just remember entering my address on a site a few years ago (I think it was EE or Vodaphone) and I got a lot of junk mail from them in the following weeks which is why I was a bit reluctant to do it!
ImWatchingTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2022, 21:57   #4
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

I've used the VM postcode checker in the past and wasn't too impressed when a salesman turned up at the house. He said he called round because I'd put our address in the checker a couple of times.
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote