Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The energy crisis

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The energy crisis

Old 21-06-2022, 12:33   #751
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: The energy crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
I timed my DD start so that I was always in debit until the end of the year. But the forced move to Scottish Power ruined that, so I have already built up a small credit level. The next hike in the Price Cap will wipe that out.

---------- Post added at 10:19 ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 ----------

I wonder if the Cost Of Living payments, which will be credited to our power company balances, has been taken into account?

2 neighbours said that they were looking forward to the "handouts" so that they could fly off for a holiday in the sun. When I told them they won't see any cash in their bank accounts, they were really miffed.
Are you sure?

Quote:
Cost of Living Payment

Guidance on getting an extra payment to help with the cost of living if you’re entitled to certain benefits or tax credits.

You may be able to get a payment to help with the cost of living if you’re getting certain benefits or tax credits.

You do not need to apply. If you’re eligible, you’ll be paid automatically in the same way you usually get your benefit or tax credits. The payments will be made separately from your benefit or tax credits.

These payments are not taxable and will not affect the benefits or tax credits you get.

Low income benefits

You may get a payment of £650 paid in 2 lump sums of £326 and £324 if you’re getting any of the following:

Universal Credit
income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
Income Support
Pension Credit
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/cost-of-living-payment
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2022, 11:29   #752
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal
Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Price cap increase in Oct now projected to be 52%
Jaymoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 11:55   #753
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Thought they had increased my DD too much, but adding up the past years
usage and using the new higher rates, it's not too far off. I will be building up
a large credit before winter sets in, which is annoying, but it should even out.
Makes it easier to budget with a known fixed amount. Too many people lack
the ability to cope with quarterly or half-yearly(e.g. water) bills

Some are telling people to cancel Direct Debit and create a Standing Order, that way you control the amount and NOT them.
Old 22-06-2022, 12:04   #754
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Jaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appealJaymoss has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Some are telling people to cancel Direct Debit and create a Standing Order, that way you control the amount and NOT them.
That way you also rip yourself off by getting charged more
Old 22-06-2022, 12:06   #755
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
But then they will hassle you, when your account is not in credit. If you're prepared to make one-one payments to settle the the debt, then it shouldn't be a problem.
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:06   #756
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

The price cap for non monthly direct debit payers is £130 a year higher
Old 22-06-2022, 13:32   #757
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
Price cap increase in Oct now projected to be 52%
Old 22-06-2022, 13:33   #758
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
tell me about it
Old 22-06-2022, 13:47   #759
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Our last electricity quarter just gone was £90 less than the previous one at £303 despite the price increases but only because I've been trying to save electricity wherever possible.

There's virtually nothing left to turn off except for the second freezer that has the overflow from the chest freezer. Unfortunately it's an upright model and quite old and thirsty. Something like 300W when running. I'll be looking to run down the contents and to turn it off ASAP.

It's not so bad for two adults as you can always put on more layers in Winter and sit under a throw to watch the TV but for a family with kids that expect a warm house and endless baths/showers this is going to be tough.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 22-06-2022 at 13:48. Reason: Typo
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 13:52   #760
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

I am the same as you. Cut right down. I can not save anymore. I was going to try and survive the summer without fans but I have failed that already haha. Worked it all out and will cost me about £15 over the summer for fans alone
Old 22-06-2022, 14:46   #761
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

I'm going to group some of the tech things in the lounge: TV, DVD HDD, Modulator, antenna amplifiers/splitters and put them on a second power strip that will only be on when I'm actually using them. Probably only amounts to 10Watts in standby but every little helps as they say.

The DVD HDD recorder/player doesn't have any standby lights on it but the on/off buttons are very small so I bet it's not fully off when not active.
Old 22-06-2022, 15:10   #762
Jaymoss
Just a Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I'm going to group some of the tech things in the lounge: TV, DVD HDD, Modulator, antenna amplifiers/splitters and put them on a second power strip that will only be on when I'm actually using them. Probably only amounts to 10Watts in standby but every little helps as they say.

The DVD HDD recorder/player doesn't have any standby lights on it but the on/off buttons are very small so I bet it's not fully off when not active.
My TV and FreeSat box are on smart plugs so remain off until needed. My TV is quite power hungry even is standby so that saved a few watts. I have stopped using plug in air fresheners. My PC is the single biggest drain not including white goods. With the 2 screens it runs about 120 watts general use and about 300 when gaming. It is my entertainment hub so I am not going to cut back on that although I have thought about using a laptop and one screen for general computing but I just do not want to hahaha

I am prepared to stop paying the TV Licence as I hardly ever watch live tv and could easily just watch on demand but will only do that if things get really bad next year.

This year el gov is pretty much bailing me out but if it continues to rise it could get quiet hairy next year. Still I have lived on beans on toast before so can again hahaha
Old 23-06-2022, 04:59   #763
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Has anyone applied for help from the Household Support Fund? I know a few people from my area that have, and they've received £200 towards their energy bills, £200 shopping vouchers to spend at a selected store such as Asda, Tesco, M&S, Aldi, or Morrisons etc. A few of them also received household items like a new washing machine, carpets, cooker and beds.

You have to be in receipt of certain benefits, but it's pretty easy to apply for, just search your local council website for "Household Support Fund". Enter post code here to find yours...

https://www.gov.uk/find-local-council

A decision was made within a week of applying and they had the energy credit and food vouchers within 2 weeks. The household items can take a few weeks more to be delivered.

Got to be worth a try.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2022, 11:52   #764
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Very helpful post.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2022, 16:55   #765
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymoss View Post
My TV and FreeSat box are on smart plugs so remain off until needed. My TV is quite power hungry even is standby so that saved a few watts. I have stopped using plug in air fresheners. My PC is the single biggest drain not including white goods. With the 2 screens it runs about 120 watts general use and about 300 when gaming. It is my entertainment hub so I am not going to cut back on that although I have thought about using a laptop and one screen for general computing but I just do not want to hahaha

I am prepared to stop paying the TV Licence as I hardly ever watch live tv and could easily just watch on demand but will only do that if things get really bad next year.

This year el gov is pretty much bailing me out but if it continues to rise it could get quiet hairy next year. Still I have lived on beans on toast before so can again hahaha
I've bought a second hand laptop and hooked it up to the TV, I only use my PC for gaming now, I seem to have saved quite a bit. I used to have the PC on all the time I was in the house, even when watching iPlayer/Prime etc, now it gathers dust most of the time.
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote