Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | wifi help

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

wifi help

Old 08-07-2019, 19:57   #1
baz
cf.member

baz is an unknown quantity at this point
wifi help

hi guys having probs super hub connecting to smart tv, set it up a few weeks ago and today when I wanted to access iplayer all was ok and now a few hrs later tv is saying tv needs to be retuned and connected to internet, my tv is picking up signals from next door and across the road so tv seems ok, anyone else having this problem, help most welcome.

regards all
baz
baz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2019, 20:11   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: wifi help

Try powering the TV off at the socket for 30 seconds and on again, if that doesn't work do the same with your modem.
Old 08-07-2019, 20:19   #3
baz
cf.member

tried that and still no joy wifi working ok ipad picking it up
Old 08-07-2019, 20:21   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Delete the wifi settings for the connection on the TV and set it up again thats all i can think of to fix it.
Old 08-07-2019, 20:43   #5
baz
cf.member

thanks i'll give that a try
Old 08-07-2019, 20:49   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Also try turning off the hub firewall and try to connect and if it connects turn it back on again.
Old 08-07-2019, 21:48   #7
baz
cf.member

even tried softwere update on tv still not picking wifi, may have to launch it out the window!!
Old 08-07-2019, 21:55   #8
daveeb
cf.mega poster

daveeb has reached the bronze age
daveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze agedaveeb has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
hi guys having probs super hub connecting to smart tv, set it up a few weeks ago and today when I wanted to access iplayer all was ok and now a few hrs later tv is saying tv needs to be retuned and connected to internet, my tv is picking up signals from next door and across the road so tv seems ok, anyone else having this problem, help most welcome.

regards all
baz

I have similar problems with shub 2. Some days some devices won't see it.
Other days it's fine, the range is actually quite good when it works.
i've solved it in 3 ways for different situations.

Sons X-box now connected via homeplugs (this might be your best bet for the tv).

Anything important connected via ethernet cable where practicable.
Set up a secondary router as an access point for when the main wifi is dicky (also you could use the shub in modem mode if you have a spare router).
daveeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 22:01   #9
baz
cf.member

many thanks will look into that strange ipad will pick up wifi in garden but tv wont and only 12ft apart!!
Old 08-07-2019, 23:07   #10
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

I'd check the WiFi channel(s) - I had one HELL of a time trying to figure out why my V6 was losing WiFi every now and then.

...Turned out that it didn't support DFS channels and it was simply dropping connection every time my router auto-switched!

The above would make since, owing to the fact that you can see other local wireless networks.

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 14:38   #11
baz
cf.member

when is a smart tv not a smart tv ? when it says you are connected on the screen and you go to view yutube and its says check connection settings, I give up
Old 09-07-2019, 14:55   #12
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
when is a smart tv not a smart tv ? when it says you are connected on the screen and you go to view yutube and its says check connection settings, I give up
If you're connected to your 5G VM network, try connecting to your 2G one.

Also did you try turning off the Hub firewall and rebooting the Hub and then connect to the TV?

Have you tried running an Ethernet to the TV?
Old 09-07-2019, 16:48   #13
baz
cf.member

not sure how to turn off hub firewall, just an ethernet to tv and bang no probs and then only to find VM messing about rebooting hub for some reason seems to be a regular thing in the last 2wks, if I phone them on 150 I always land up with someone I cant understand does my head in.
Old 09-07-2019, 17:12   #14
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
not sure how to turn off hub firewall, just an ethernet to tv and bang no probs and then only to find VM messing about rebooting hub for some reason seems to be a regular thing in the last 2wks, if I phone them on 150 I always land up with someone I cant understand does my head in.
Login in with your hub info here http://192.168.0.1 this is assuming you have a hub 3 if not see the last link.

Go to advanced security settings/firewall

More info for logging in.
https://www.virginmedia.com/help/vir...on-status#hub3
Old 09-07-2019, 17:40   #15
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirThomas View Post
I'd check the WiFi channel(s) - I had one HELL of a time trying to figure out why my V6 was losing WiFi every now and then.

...Turned out that it didn't support DFS channels and it was simply dropping connection every time my router auto-switched!

The above would make since, owing to the fact that you can see other local wireless networks.

Tom
This...

Also check channel width (available options are 20/40/80Mhz

If it's on 80 drop it too 20