Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Old 11-04-2019, 03:53   #376
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: One or two new channels coming to Freesat.

Coming soon:

Paramount Network

Currently allocated LCN 132.
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-04-2019, 09:44   #377
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Coming soon:

Paramount Network

Currently allocated LCN 132.
Good.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 16:14   #378
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Good.
It's been a long time coming, I don't know why they didn't add it from launch. All I can think of is that Viacom started penny pinching with regards to Freesat as they removed one of their timeshift channels after Freesat restructured their charging structure last year (5* +1).

Maybe it's not doing as well as they had hoped and they need the extra viewers to appease advertisers??

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 12-04-2019 at 16:48. Reason: Added extra info.
Old 12-04-2019, 19:49   #379
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
It's been a long time coming, I don't know why they didn't add it from launch. All I can think of is that Viacom started penny pinching with regards to Freesat as they removed one of their timeshift channels after Freesat restructured their charging structure last year (5* +1).

Maybe it's not doing as well as they had hoped and they need the extra viewers to appease advertisers??
Main channels often do 8x (rough guess based on memory) better than their +1s, so maybe they will replace another +1 on FreeSat.

I looked at comparative ratings a week or two ago and Paramount Network isn't doing awful, and it's early days. Here's March's Barb ratings summary list.
https://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/...ewing-summary/

Just looking at it 5Select (previously My5) is 0.26 and Paramount Network is 0.21 last month. The former channel has been around longer than the latter, so PN isn't doing badly, relatively speaking.

Last edited by cheekyangus; 12-04-2019 at 20:01.
Old 12-04-2019, 22:35   #380
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like Paramount is being added to boost eyeballs onto a failing new channel then, so let's hope that this means that Viacom have found new faith in the platform. Maybe 5* +1 will return??

AFAIK, there aren't any other FTA Viacom channels missing from Freesat.
Old 13-04-2019, 10:01   #381
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I think it's more likely if they removed 5STAR+1 for fees vs ratings ratio reasons, they are more likely to remove another +1 from FreeSat and use the money from that SD channel toward Paramount instead. That is probably why 5STAR+1 was removed. A quick search seems that people speculated it was directly to reduce fees, but I saw one comment that suggested they use the EPG space for 5Spike, and it's now on FreeSat, so it seems that's what they did (that post lists the other spin off C5 channels, so I can infer that was the missing one at the time).
Old 17-04-2019, 13:44   #382
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

I just saw someone tweet that Paramount Network UK is now on 132 on FreeSat. Not been able to confirm myself yet.
Old 17-04-2019, 14:54   #383
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I just saw someone tweet that Paramount Network UK is now on 132 on FreeSat. Not been able to confirm myself yet.
And they didn't remove a +1 to add it, so good news all round for Freesatters
Old 26-04-2019, 11:43   #384
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Retro Movies have stated that they hope to join Freesat 'within the next three months'.
Old 26-04-2019, 12:05   #385
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Retro Movies have stated that they hope to join Freesat 'within the next three months'.
If it happens I hope they give it a number that allows the Film section to have a logic to it. And by this I mean there are a few +1 film channels that might launch on FreeSat and the closer they are to their main channels the better, in my opinion. Film4 and its +1 are side by side but the other film channels are numerically next to each other, so if they added their +1s they wouldn't be able to replicate that logic without a reshuffle.
Old 30-04-2019, 16:13   #386
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Keep It Country TV is to change its name to Spotlight TV, to reflect that the channel is also featuring a lot of programmes that are not country oriented.

CEO Phil Mack has assured viewers on his weekly show that the core format will remain as country music, but the name change will reflect the fact that increasingly popular non country shows are also now also attracting large audiences to the channel.

Courtesy of nodrogd.
Old 13-05-2019, 16:39   #387
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Data for Freesports HD to join Freesat has appeared today:

SID 52575 on 11426V (no video/audio testing as yet).

I wonder if the SD version will be removed when this starts? I know that a lot of people are disappointed at the quality of the SD feed.
Old 13-05-2019, 16:45   #388
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Keep It Country TV is to change its name to Spotlight TV, to reflect that the channel is also featuring a lot of programmes that are not country oriented.

CEO Phil Mack has assured viewers on his weekly show that the core format will remain as country music, but the name change will reflect the fact that increasingly popular non country shows are also now also attracting large audiences to the channel.

Courtesy of nodrogd.
I am just receiving Keep it Country, after months of no picture, but sometimes near midnight it starts to be a distorted picture. But I am glad to have it back Richard.
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 19:11   #389
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Data for Freesports HD to join Freesat has appeared today:

SID 52575 on 11426V (no video/audio testing as yet).

I wonder if the SD version will be removed when this starts? I know that a lot of people are disappointed at the quality of the SD feed.
Though I'd lose it in one room due to having an antiquated ex-Sky box I think they should. They had said it was coming to Freesat/Freeview prior to the VM deal and on Freeview it would certainly replace ithe SD one, since HD equipment is required to receive that multiplex anyway.
Old 13-05-2019, 19:34   #390
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Though I'd lose it in one room due to having an antiquated ex-Sky box I think they should. They had said it was coming to Freesat/Freeview prior to the VM deal and on Freeview it would certainly replace ithe SD one, since HD equipment is required to receive that multiplex anyway.
Freesports said ages ago that they wouldn't be going HD on Freeview due to the cost, hopefully the VM deal might mean that they can now afford it.