Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 22-03-2020, 11:23   #976
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Another thing I'm finding very frustrating is how the WHO and similar seem to be worried about "stigmatising" the Chinese in this.

People are ill and dying, now is not the time to be concerned about political correctness.

I am not suggesting we ought to be hostile in any way to Chinese people, that would be ridiculous.

But we must never ever allow ourselves to forget what their "culture" (which it appears we are told is behind this) caused the world to go through.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Advertisement
Old 22-03-2020, 11:26   #977
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

How long before the government insist that holiday parks close??

The selfish top box brigade are arriving in droves with no thought for the residents down here.

Bog off home grockles you aint wanted here.
Old 22-03-2020, 11:38   #978
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian View Post
How long before the government insist that holiday parks close??

The selfish top box brigade are arriving in droves with no thought for the residents down here.

Bog off home grockles you aint wanted here.
Maybe the local shops should refuse to serve non locals. They'll soon starve and run home.
Old 22-03-2020, 11:50   #979
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

On a lighter note......

Old 22-03-2020, 11:56   #980
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
No one, it’s just pointless
We know a few medics (GPs, nurses, hospital staff such as anaesthetists/A&E staff), who liked the sentiment, so, if you don’t mind, I’ll take their opinion over yours...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 22-03-2020, 12:10   #981
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Bear with me.

Currently my is seriously ill in our local hospital.

I was up at 6am on Wednesday, that night she had no feeling from the knees down.

We had to call 999, and all they kept asking about was Covid-19 symptons, in A&E i had to call my sister at 6am she came and I was in bed by 8am, 9am my sister phoned me in tears, her o2 levels had plummeted to 50.

I raced to the hospital, and we where advised to get family to see her, so I raced home again got my dad up there, luckily a disabled bay was free.

My sister got my nephew and niece, she burst in to tears. My sister made them take me home and I got into bed after 38 hours.

While there I had to take my dad home, and in the car park 3 helipcopters did a tough and go.

Then the A&E ward my mum was on was moved, they have basically closed a part of the hospital ready for Covid-19.

She has a 50/50 chance at the moment.

I cannot praise the NHS enough, even more so when the shelfs are empty.
Old 22-03-2020, 12:35   #982
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
Bear with me.

I was up at 6am on Wednesday, that night she had no feeling from the knees down.

We had to call 999, and all they kept asking about was Covid-19 symptons, in A&E i had to call my sister at 6am she came and I was in bed by 8am, 9am my sister phoned me in tears, her o2 levels had plummeted to 50.

I raced to the hospital, and we where advised to get family to see her, so I raced home again got my dad up there, luckily a disabled bay was free.

My sister got my nephew and niece, she burst in to tears. My sister made them take me home and I got into bed after 38 hours.

While there I had to take my dad home, and in the car park 3 helipcopters did a tough and go.

Then the A&E ward my mum was on was moved, they have basically closed a part of the hospital ready for Covid-19.

So sorry to hear about your Mum. I hope she pulls through and you can get her home as soon as possible.

Hugs, Jo
Old 22-03-2020, 12:40   #983
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Talking to an old friend on the blower this morning and he's currently on oxygen at home for a lung condition after a stay in hospital. He's dreading getting this from one of his carers.
Old 22-03-2020, 12:51   #984
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
We know a few medics (GPs, nurses, hospital staff such as anaesthetists/A&E staff), who liked the sentiment, so, if you don’t mind, I’ll take their opinion over yours...
I wasn’t in search of your approval or seeking your agreement.

I’m looking forward to similar campaigns for warehouse staff, shelf stackers, HGV drivers, post workers, communication engineers, and basically anyone working through this crisis ensuring the country doesn’t stop.
Old 22-03-2020, 13:44   #985
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
For every freeloader, every selfish hoarder or profiteer there's someone else doing something good for society, there stories are being lost in the maelstrom at the moment but the longer this goes on the more they'll surface, the people shopping for the elderly, bosses keeping pepple in work out of their own pockets, carers going above and beyond, volunteers delivering medical supplies and the thousands of retired NHS staff coming out of retirement to help out, I'd rather dwell on these people than the **** of the earth. Besides which we'll get our own back on the freeloaders, hoarders and profiteers as this isn't going to last forever but the stain on their characters in their communities just might.
Very true, i've been moved by everything from seeing examples of young lads shopping for older people to young mothers swapping items to help each other through.

---------- Post added at 13:39 ---------- Previous post was at 13:37 ----------

Quote:
The trouble is with limiting items is this.

My sister was buying food for 3 people so only bought what she wanted. but the checkout person said a two item limit.
I created a thread suggesting loyalty cards could deal with this but, sadly, it looks like a non starter.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33708847

---------- Post added at 13:41 ---------- Previous post was at 13:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Another thing I'm finding very frustrating is how the WHO and similar seem to be worried about "stigmatising" the Chinese in this.

People are ill and dying, now is not the time to be concerned about political correctness.

I am not suggesting we ought to be hostile in any way to Chinese people, that would be ridiculous.

But we must never ever allow ourselves to forget what their "culture" (which it appears we are told is behind this) caused the world to go through.
Aye, eating bats ugghh. We are told that we are supposed to respect all other cultures, but some I find just just intolerable.

---------- Post added at 13:44 ---------- Previous post was at 13:41 ----------

Quote:
Bear with me.

I wish you all the best in this awful situation. Anyone who thinks that it's pointless virtue signalling to show our gratitude for NHS staff and carers who may be putting their own lives at risk to help us knows how important this initiative is.
Old 22-03-2020, 14:11   #986
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post

The problem is, people *are* being hostile to the Chinese as a result of this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...virus_pandemic. Hostility, in a lot of cases, involving violence.

I'm not defending the Chinese. I have little doubt that their practices helped this virus spread to Humans, and while they are sharing data now, there is apparently some concern that they didn't share it quick enough. But I do think it wrong to blame invidividual people who may, or may not, have anything to do with it.
Old 22-03-2020, 14:23   #987
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The problem is, people *are* being hostile to the Chinese as a result of this. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...virus_pandemic. Hostility, in a lot of cases, involving violence.

I'm not defending the Chinese. I have little doubt that their practices helped this virus spread to Humans, and while they are sharing data now, there is apparently some concern that they didn't share it quick enough. But I do think it wrong to blame invidividual people who may, or may not, have anything to do with it.
I was sent a text a few weeks back by someone who was slightly worried that they were sitting next to Chinese people in a restaurant. I pointed out at that point they were far more at risk from people who had spent a romantic weekend in Northern Italy.
Old 22-03-2020, 14:37   #988
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Major new measures to protect people at highest risk from Coronavirus.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...om-coronavirus
Old 22-03-2020, 15:15   #989
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Major new measures to protect people at highest risk from Coronavirus.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...om-coronavirus
It's a bit of a surprise that 1.5m people are in those groups, especially as most of those conditions tend not to appear in the young, eg severe COPD.
Old 22-03-2020, 15:22   #990
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

Absolutely, nobody should blame individuals. However as it seems to have been a "cultural" issue people are too scared to address the issue and that is very wrong.

I cannot stand Trump but he's absolutely right to refer to it as the "Chinese virus".

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Closed Thread