Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode 8)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode 8)

Old 23-12-2017, 23:25   #61
admars
cf.mega poster

admars has reached the bronze age
admars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze ageadmars has reached the bronze age
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode 8)

this will restore our faith in the force

admars is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2017, 00:51   #62
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

That is brilliant.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 17:39   #63
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

lol, I love it. I think it is great when people have the skill and passion to do stuff like that.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 21:55   #64
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Excellent, excellent film. Very well made, and a thoughtful piece as well, which explores issues that have previously been taken for granted in the Star Wars universe, such as the interface between destiny and self-determination. Does history inevitably repeat itself? If the Force chooses you, what can you do about it? In many ways it’s summed up by what I think is my favourite line in the entire film, which challenges so many of the assumptions we bring to a Star Wars film. Probably going to misquote it as I’ve only seen it once (so far), but here goes nothin’:

Spoiler: 
Kylo Ren, to Rey: “You have no place in this story. You're nobody. But not to me...”

Oh and I also love that we got to see Ben Kenobi’s wise saying about points of view played out in the three retellings of the story of Luke and Ben Solo.

Just brilliant. I’m looking for excuses to go again before the holidays are over.

Last edited by Chris; 24-12-2017 at 22:01.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 23:33   #65
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I really liked it too. I started reading the Thrawn Trilogy books recently (currently just started the third) so maybe that had something to do with it. If anything i wish it had been longer and spent more time on the political and learning parts.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 19:00   #66
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Thumbs up Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Episode 8)

I've just seen and loved it. There were quite a few twists, such as what Luke did with the lightsabre Rey offered him (I was totally WTF?! about that), and Kylo taking a leaf out of the book of the Sith, i.e.:
<SPOILER REMOVED - oops, sorry, didn't catch the 'no spoilers' warning until I read the rest of the thread, my bad!>
I honestly didn't see that coming. I'm amazed Snoke didn't, either...

But I'd still like to know who Snoke actually was, and where he'd been in the heyday of the Empire...and why Darth Sidious didn't sense his power. Plus I am not convinced Kylo told Rey the truth about her parents; if they and she were "nothing", how is it that she's so powerful with no training whatsoever, possessing an almost instinctual grasp of her abilities - as she showed in The Force Awakens; how did she know how to pull off the Jedi Mind Trick? How did she even know she could do that?

It seems too obvious an answer, but I'd like to think she's either Luke's daughter, or Leia's (perhaps conceived during her estrangement from Han). That ability with the Force had to come from somewhere. Or maybe there were a few Jedi survivors other than Obi-Wan and Yoda who had the sense to go underground and bide their time, as Olee Starstone did in the novel Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader...

I wonder what Rey will think when she starts seeing Force ghosts, as I'm sure she will? Knowing her, she'll likely try to brain 'em with that staff of hers!

Go, BB-8, go!!! He put Artoo to shame in this film!

One more question I really wanted answered: how did Maz acquire Luke's lightsabre?!

Last edited by Hugh; 27-12-2017 at 20:57.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 19:13   #67
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

You beat me too it. You just need to put spoiler tags around the relevant bits you want to mention
Old 28-12-2017, 01:23   #68
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

The film has been out for two weeks now, the time for spoiler tags has passed.

if you havent seen it by now then you should not be reading threads on it, you cannot expect details to be hidden.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 16:12   #69
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
But I'd still like to know who Snoke actually was, and where he'd been in the heyday of the Empire...and why Darth Sidious didn't sense his power. Plus I am not convinced Kylo told Rey the truth about her parents; if they and she were "nothing", how is it that she's so powerful with no training whatsoever, possessing an almost instinctual grasp of her abilities - as she showed in The Force Awakens; how did she know how to pull off the Jedi Mind Trick? How did she even know she could do that?

It seems too obvious an answer, but I'd like to think she's either Luke's daughter, or Leia's (perhaps conceived during her estrangement from Han). That ability with the Force had to come from somewhere. Or maybe there were a few Jedi survivors other than Obi-Wan and Yoda who had the sense to go underground and bide their time, as Olee Starstone did in the novel Dark Lord: The Rise Of Darth Vader...

I wonder what Rey will think when she starts seeing Force ghosts, as I'm sure she will? Knowing her, she'll likely try to brain 'em with that staff of hers!

Go, BB-8, go!!! He put Artoo to shame in this film!

One more question I really wanted answered: how did Maz acquire Luke's lightsabre?![/FONT]

I think the film made it obvious that Rey's parents are significant. It spent far too long telling us they aren't. If they weren't, why go to such lengths?

I suspect that her father is possibly Luke, or one of her parents is a descendant of Obi Wan (Obi Wan himself would be too old).
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 22:07   #70
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Maybe there was disagreement between the two directors on Ray's parents. Rian Johnson does seem to have jettisoned JJ Abrams' story arcs. Snoke? Dead. Ray's parents? Not important.

I like the choice, assuming it sticks, for Ray's parents not to be another Skywalker/important figure. It also frees up the franchise to move beyond the initial three films and universe. Why does every important figure have to be related? The theme of the film is to spread it out the force and story behind Luke, Han and Leia. The choice not to have Ray's parents 'be' someone, the whole 'let the past die' stuff, the 'we're the spark that lights the fire' line and the kid at the end.

They've deviated from the formula of a Star Wars film and from the story. It lets them do what they want without having to find a way to shoehorn the old characters into it.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 20:33   #71
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I just got back from seeing it with my Nephew.

I loved the Porgs. especially when Chewie looked like he was eating one, the ones in the Falcon.

I am very disapointed it didn't have a nod to Carrie at the end, unless it came later.

But my bladder was at DefCon 4 after a large coke need help.
Old 30-12-2017, 20:39   #72
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I am very disapointed it didn't have a nod to Carrie at the end, unless it came later.
it did and it was very soon after the credits rolled so you must have shot out the door pretty fast for a wee. It says something like "in loving memory of our Princess Carrie Fisher".
Old 30-12-2017, 22:51   #73
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Yup, there was an end credit note accompanied by a snippet of Princess Leia’s theme on piano. At the screening I was at, the lights stayed down until after that point.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2017, 01:16   #74
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Thanks guys.

I could only stay for a short while.
Old 31-12-2017, 20:03   #75
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

I thought it was good but wasn't amazed enough to be dying to watch again when the bluray comes out. Which is kinda weird as some films that aren't that great i really enjoy rewatching.

I started reading the Star Wars books lately so maybe they raised my expectations too high. Started with the Thrawn Trilogy and on the X-Wing ones at the moment and i'm enjoying them much more than the movies.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote