Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The future of television

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Digital TV Services Discussion

The future of television

Old 04-05-2021, 11:40   #196
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Indeed, but if a programme like LoD is scoring 13 million on the overnights and perhaps a further 3-4m on catching up that’s not because everyone without access to iPlayer in some form decided to watch the same program.

Fundamentally those kinds of figures are pushed by generating hype, getting people talking about it on social media and having the cast on a series of magazine programming/puff pieces on BBC News/Norton/This Morning.

Dumping seven episodes on an arbitrary Monday morning wouldn’t generate this level of interest. Even if universally available and “free”.
You are denying the inevitable by pointing to what is happening now, even though I have never claimed that there would be any major change in 2021. Furthermore, you continue to ignore what media commentators and those in the business are saying, rubbishing everything that contradicts your alternative vision.

I am, actually, keeping an open mind on this, but I have not read anything that points to a different scenario to the one I have painted. Your reference to ‘Line of Duty’ is utter desperation if that is meant to prove me wrong, which it doesn’t.

I am quite prepared to see the 2035 date slip without wanting to jump over a cliff if the unexpected happens. One crucial factor in that date is the government’s broadband rollout, which has already slipped. Clearly, if that keeps being put back, that will affect my thinking. However, a nice audience figure recorded on linear TV for a popular BBC1 programme cuts no ice with me. That big swing in audience habits for streaming services simply hasn’t happened to the extent that it will change anything yet, but I never said it would.

For someone who dislikes straw man arguments, you certainly like clutching at straws!

Anyway, let’s just sit back and see what happens. Neither of us are in a position to prove anything at this stage.
Old 04-05-2021, 11:45   #197
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
You are denying the inevitable
That’s quite a journey to

Quote:
Anyway, let’s just sit back and see what happens. Neither of us are in a position to prove anything at this stage.
I don’t see how the Line of Duty comparison is either desperate or a straw man.

I’m simply indicating to you that you haven’t fully understood the size or scale of the “problem” that you perceive.

The first being that most of the population are happy to watch linear, catch up/streaming, time shifted broadcasts as and when it suits them. The choice offers far greater flexibility and viewing experiences (e.g. can you safely go onto social media?). You perceive them to be “Neanderthals”.

Quote:
I am quite prepared to see the 2035 date slip
Well, it’s not the first time I suppose.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:49   #198
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Amazon Prime currently advertising for a "Prime Video Linear TV Senior Product Manager, Technical".

Quote:
We are seeking an experienced Product Manager for the Prime Video Linear TV team to redefine how customers watch 24/7 linear broadcast TV content. Linear TV enables customers to watch 24/7 streams of their favorite TV stations airing programs including sports, news, movies, award shows, special events and TV shows. You will be responsible for designing the end-to-end customer experience for how customers discover and watch Linear TV content.
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1508...ager-technical

On a related note, from earlier this year

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/netfli...vice-globally/
Quote:
Netflix Rolling Out ‘Linear TV’ Service Globally

Netflix is planning to expand worldwide a test feature that allows subscribers to simply click a button and let the streamer pick programming to watch. Tested in France and other markets, the “Shuffle Play” feature acts as an old-school TV channel broadcasting shows on a loop.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Interesting article from a couple of days ago.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90630158...mething-button

Quote:
04-28-21

Netflix’s new ‘Play Something’ button is fine, but it’s not enough

Netflix has a new one-click way to find something to watch. But the company could still do a lot more to solve streaming indecision

The long-awaited Netflix shuffle button is here.

Next time you’re unsure what to watch on Netflix, just click “Play Something,” and the service will pick a movie or TV show according to your personal tastes. You’ll find the new button on Netflix’s profile selection page, in the sidebar menu, and on the 10th row of the home screen. If Netflix’s algorithms choose unwisely, you can also hit “Play Something Else,” which will either bring up a new pick, resume a show you’re already watching, or start a selection from your watch list.

Netflix began testing the Play Something button eight months ago and seems to be rolling it out with some fanfare. (It’s announcing the feature in a blog post, with a goofy video of a cartoon remote whose buttons are tired of being pushed.) It’s arguably the company’s most concerted effort yet to cure streaming indecisiveness, and it arrives at a time when there’s more to watch than ever, both from Netflix and from a wave of new streaming competitors.

But while I love the idea of Netflix offering something akin to automated channel flipping, a single shuffle button feels like a half-measure. If Netflix really wants to help solve analysis paralysis, there’s still a lot more it could do. Here’s what I’m hoping Netflix considers next:

EMBRACE LINEAR TV
While I once assumed that on-demand video would subsume live TV for everything besides news and sports, the success of linear streaming channels has proven otherwise.

Pluto TV, which mimics a cable-style grid guide with round-the-clock streaming channels, has 43 million users tuning in every month, and it’s prompted a wave of imitators since ViacomCBS acquired it in 2019. Between the Roku Channel (which itself has more than 160 linear channels), Tubi, Plex, Peacock, Sinclair’s Stirr, and the preloaded linear TV apps on many smart TVs (including those from Samsung, LG, and Vizio), linear channels are making a comeback as a way to cure indecision.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 04-05-2021 at 13:40.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:29   #199
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Amazon Prime currently advertising for a "Prime Video Linear TV Senior Product Manager, Technical".

https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/1508...ager-technical

On a related note, from earlier this year

https://www.mediaplaynews.com/netfli...vice-globally/

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:13 ----------

Interesting article from a couple of days ago.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90630158...mething-button

EMBRACE LINEAR TV
While I once assumed that on-demand video would subsume live TV for everything besides news and sports, the success of linear streaming channels has proven otherwise.

Pluto TV, which mimics a cable-style grid guide with round-the-clock streaming channels, has 43 million users tuning in every month, and it’s prompted a wave of imitators since ViacomCBS acquired it in 2019. Between the Roku Channel (which itself has more than 160 linear channels), Tubi, Plex, Peacock, Sinclair’s Stirr, and the preloaded linear TV apps on many smart TVs (including those from Samsung, LG, and Vizio), linear channels are making a comeback as a way to cure indecision.’
Funny that you didn’t include the very next paragraph...

’These options have downsides, though: They’re all supported by ads, and in many cases they don’t let you pause, rewind, or fast-forward whatever’s on.)’.

However, I concede that some apps may contain linear TV channels (Pluto and Now already do in the UK) but my point has always been that the TV channels we have now will disappear. What is the point in having ITV, ITV2, ITV 3, etc, when you can have all of your programming under one app, like the ITV Hub?

As for whether the new linear channels on apps will prove popular, that remains to be seen. The Netflix idea of having linear channels within its app without adverts is probably the best bet. I haven’t met a single person who watches Pluto linear TV.
Old 04-05-2021, 14:39   #200
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
These options have downsides, though: They’re all supported by ads, and in many cases they don’t let you pause, rewind, or fast-forward whatever’s on.
I don't think anyone, anywhere, has suggested linear television wouldn't include this in the future.

Dare I say it's a straw man?

Quote:
What is the point in having ITV, ITV2, ITV 3, etc, when you can have all of your programming under one app, like the ITV Hub?
What is the point in not having it? Costs next to nothing, it's only replicating existing services on DTT, satellite and cable that remain universally popular. Advertising, and a schedule, is used to hook people onto ITV programming.

If they want to watch the next programme, or explore the app, either is a positive outcome for ITV. You are under the mistaken belief that one of them is negative.
Old 04-05-2021, 14:48   #201
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I don't think anyone, anywhere, has suggested linear television wouldn't include this in the future.

Dare I say it's a straw man?

What is the point in not having it? Costs next to nothing, it's only replicating existing services on DTT, satellite and cable that remain universally popular. Advertising, and a schedule, is used to hook people onto ITV programming.

If they want to watch the next programme, or explore the app, either is a positive outcome for ITV. You are under the mistaken belief that one of them is negative.
Because on a streaming service (which is where we will be in the future), there is no point in separating out content by channels. Categories, latest releases and so forth, yes, but not channels, which on a streaming service are pointless.

The popularity of linear TV may be present now, as I keep saying, but habits will change over time.
Old 04-05-2021, 15:10   #202
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Because on a streaming service (which is where we will be in the future), there is no point in separating out content by channels. Categories, latest releases and so forth, yes, but not channels, which on a streaming service are pointless.

The popularity of linear TV may be present now, as I keep saying, but habits will change over time.
Still at a loss as to where such a step ceases to be financially viable and what pushes consumer behaviour over the line.

13 million people OB. A tenth of that isn't an inconsiderable audience to fight over.
Old 04-05-2021, 15:17   #203
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Apparently, it’s possible for both streaming and Linear to grow - it’s not a zero-sum game…

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...6-34s-tune-in/
Quote:
UKTV achieves record Q1 as more 16-34s tune in

The broadcaster behind channel brands Dave, Drama, Gold, Yesterday and Alibi has enjoyed its highest ever share of viewing in the first quarter of the year.

UKTV, which is owned by BBC Studios, recorded a 4.73% share, representing 8.6% growth year-on-year.

All the main channels have experienced growth, as has its on demand service UKTV Play. The hard to get 16-34s have also been attracted to the channel with viewing from the age bracket up 10% on the same period in 2020.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 21:23   #204
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

So maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but if the BBC does as you predict and at some point in the future says bugger it and just has iPlayer what will happen for example to new episodes of EastEnders? Will they just add them as and when in some random fashion or to keep viewers happy will they add an episode every Tuesday at 7:30pm? I would wager there will be some sort of expected day/time for new episode releases which then surely makes it a linear channel doesn't it? Or am I missing something
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 08:41   #205
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
So maybe I'm being a bit thick here, but if the BBC does as you predict and at some point in the future says bugger it and just has iPlayer what will happen for example to new episodes of EastEnders? Will they just add them as and when in some random fashion or to keep viewers happy will they add an episode every Tuesday at 7:30pm? I would wager there will be some sort of expected day/time for new episode releases which then surely makes it a linear channel doesn't it? ]Or am I missing something
No, it doesn't. Airing new episodes weekly already happens for some programmes on Netflix, Amazon and Disney + for example. The programme simply appears on the designated day. You don't need a traditional linear channel to do that.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 06-05-2021 at 08:45.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 09:51   #206
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Did it never occur to you that the weekly “drop” of premium content on streaming platforms is their attempt to address an inherent weakness of their distribution method - that it lacks the ability to get large numbers of people discussing their content on social media simultaneously, or at the “water cooler” next day?

For Netflix, which doesn’t have a linear channel, this is the closest they can get to one. Linear channels have that advantage.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 17:56   #207
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Did it never occur to you that the weekly “drop” of premium content on streaming platforms is their attempt to address an inherent weakness of their distribution method - that it lacks the ability to get large numbers of people discussing their content on social media simultaneously, or at the “water cooler” next day?

For Netflix, which doesn’t have a linear channel, this is the closest they can get to one. Linear channels have that advantage.
It’s hardly a weakness. The streaming services have always designated a date on which to launch new content.

So on the contrary, it is a strength. If certain content is best released weekly or on certain days of the week (or even a certain time on a designated day) then that’s what they do. And the audience can view it either straight away or at any time at their convenience.
Old 06-05-2021, 18:07   #208
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, it doesn't. Airing new episodes weekly already happens for some programmes on Netflix, Amazon and Disney + for example. The programme simply appears on the designated day. You don't need a traditional linear channel to do that.
Doesn't this happen at the moment with many programmes? Watch them on the relevant linear channel at the appointed hour or watch them on the on-demand section at the appointed hour. Most people chose the linear channel as it's easier.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 18:08   #209
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
It’s hardly a weakness. The streaming services have always designated a date on which to launch new content.

So on the contrary, it is a strength. If certain content is best released weekly or on certain days of the week (or even a certain time on a designated day) then that’s what they do. And the audience can view it either straight away or at any time at their convenience.
You are wrong. Most streamed content drops all at once, as a series. A limited number of high-profile, big budget series drop one episode per week.

These are the same sorts of shows that would ‘drop’ weekly in a prime evening slot on broadcast TV. That they reserve some of their premium content for weekly release undermines your argument that streaming, and giving viewers limitless choice and absolute control at all times, is inherently better. In terms of justifying investment in the most expensive programmes, there is a clear need to get a critical mass of simultaneous, or near-simultaneous, viewing, so that word of mouth works to maximum effect to increase ratings.

This is something broadcast TV achieves simply by its nature. It is something a streaming service tries to approximate by undermining the very thing you have always claimed is its principal benefit.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 18:12   #210
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:

It’s entirely a weakness. A streaming service can never achieve the levels of social media engagement a linear channel has because it defines exactly when a substantial proportion of viewers will watch.

The best bit, of course, is a linear channel additionally makes the content available on demand. Therefore catering for everyone.