Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | OK? Who is your money on ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

OK? Who is your money on ?
View Poll Results: Make your choice
England 27 81.82%
Australia 1 3.03%
I am not bothered 5 15.15%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22-11-2003, 20:14   #121
yesman

Re: OK? Who is your money on ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbie
Can someone please tell me why "Swing low sweet chariot" -- a negro slave song,has become the unofficial anthem of england's rugby team?
Its became the anthem at Twickenham as explained below.

Quote:
Swing Low, Sweet Chariot
The mid 1980s was not a great period for the England team. Coming into the last match of the 1988 season, against Ireland at Twickenham, they had lost 15 of their previous 23 matches in the Five Nations Championship. The Twickenham crowd had only seen one solitary England try in the previous two years and at half time against Ireland they were 0-3 down. The mood of the home support was understandably sombre.

Then it happened.

During the second half the floodgates opened. England scored a remarkable six tries in a thumping 35-3 win. Three of the tries came in quick succession from Chris Oti, a black player winning his second England cap but making his Twickenham debut. A small section of the crowd started to belt out a rugby club favourite †“ the gospel hymn †˜Swing Low, Sweet Chariotââ‚à ‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢ †“ in honour of their new hero, and as the tries continued to come so the numbers singing the song increased.

That might have been the end of it.

However, at the next Twickenham home game, against Australia, a young centre named Will Carling made his debut as England captain in another rousing victory. The England team was about to embark upon a period of great success and the Twickenham crowd was about to be offered many more opportunities to bellow out the song that had now become synonymous with Twickenham and the England team.

Advertisement
Old 22-11-2003, 21:08   #122
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

I think I should get a thank you from each and every one of you for the following reason.
I am a jinx to any of Englands sporting chances if I watch or listen to the matches.If I watch them they lose.

Therefore as a consequence I'm forbidden from watching such events(suits me down to the ground not being a sports lover) by my husband.However if hubby wants to watch I have to go out or get lost in some fashion.

This morning I went out and had to dodge the match everywhere.Even in the middle of the Saturday Open market it was being watched.In the supermarket it was on the radio.
It even cost me the price of a new mouse/phaser as I had to duck into a PC shop to pass the time.

Eventually I was allowed back home.

You have no idea of the struggles of the lone sports jonah to allow the fans to feel happy.

Incog.
Old 22-11-2003, 21:13   #123
Bex
Inactive

Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Bex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appealBex has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to Bex

coggy....my mum is banned from watching footie....we always loose when she watches, and until she moved in with her current boyf she wasnt interested in ruggers, so we were safe on that score..but it seems her jinx is only applicable to fottie (i dont care im not a footie fan)
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2003, 22:06   #124
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

I hate sport if it involves a ball but I was riveted to the tv (and radio later on, whilst on the M25) and I had goospimples and hairs standing up on the back of my neck listening to the final moments of the match. And I'm not even English.

Well done that team!
Old 23-11-2003, 01:31   #125
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramrod
I hate sport if it involves a ball but I was riveted to the tv (and radio later on, whilst on the M25) and I had goospimples and hairs standing up on the back of my neck listening to the final moments of the match. And I'm not even English.

Well done that team!
What Nationality are you Ramrod? I am just curious, don't really need to know. PM me if you want.

Well done the English Rugger Buggers!
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2003, 19:38   #126
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman
Its the final of the rugby world cup tomorrow, so who is your money on ?

The tabloids have already decided that England will win, but I am not so sure..
Isn't it embarrassing when your failed predictions are left prominently exposed to public view.
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2003, 21:18   #127
yesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodoric
Isn't it embarrassing when your failed predictions are left prominently exposed to public view.
Eh ?