Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin TV box of mystery

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin TV box of mystery

Old 14-07-2022, 03:51   #1
Krilltis
cf.member

Krilltis is an unknown quantity at this point
Virgin TV box of mystery

Seeing as it's mega hot and my brain is melting....any of you gals/guys/non-binary etc....know what this little gem is?

No clues....well....ok....just the one clue....'You don't have to be a Virgin Media customer to own one'....emphasis on the word "own"....

So....it's....what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220714_032440~2.jpg (1.65 MB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20220714_031418~2.jpg (1.12 MB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 20220714_032349~2.jpg (1.45 MB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20220714_032626~2.jpg (1.73 MB, 103 views)

Last edited by Krilltis; 14-07-2022 at 03:58.
Krilltis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-07-2022, 08:45   #2
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin TV box of mystery

Though it says VBox and the styling of the EPG is like the Liberate era software, I think it might be from the time VM did a Freeview DTT box for broadband customers not on their Cable network. The clue being the channel order, which is the current Freeview channel order of those channels.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 09:53   #3
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

I think it's a toaster.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 10:54   #4
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
Though it says VBox and the styling of the EPG is like the Liberate era software, I think it might be from the time VM did a Freeview DTT box for broadband customers not on their Cable network. The clue being the channel order, which is the current Freeview channel order of those channels.
Yup

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/au...-129068/review
Old 14-07-2022, 12:22   #5
Krilltis
cf.member

It's not a Toaster....I tried it with 2 slices of bread...nothing seemed to happen...just loads of crumbs everywhere...maybe try some crumpets later....

Yep...it's a freeview box from Virgin Media National....here's a couple of box pictures for you

Still all works and I do especially like the cute little remote control, it looks almost like new

Oh....any DPA fans/freaks/non-binaries out there....don't worry....there aren't any customer account details ingrained in the box....it's just a freeview box....of which, yep, as per that article...you could buy outright and use on any telly

Wonder if there's still a market out there for DTT if they ever try residential 'beyond cable' again....cos I kinda like it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220714_120014~2.jpg (923.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20220714_120106~2.jpg (1.06 MB, 54 views)

Last edited by Krilltis; 14-07-2022 at 12:26.
Old 14-07-2022, 16:43   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

I'm impressed that it still works and you've got the packaging.

I've got a U.S.Robotics 56K Faxmodem still in the shrinkwrap here. It's dated 2001. What's that worth?
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 16:58   #7
epsilon
cf.geek

epsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation eraepsilon has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

I've got a U.S.Robotics 56K Faxmodem still in the shrinkwrap here. It's dated 2001. What's that worth?
You might get a few pennies for the shrinkwrap...
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2022, 18:30   #8
Krilltis
cf.member

Cripes...56k...y'know there's a cash machine ATM in the local off-licence that uses some kind of dialup modem, you can hear it dialup and do that weird squeaky handshake thing....then you get your £10....at least I think it's a real tenner....maybe it's just a Fax copy...probably is ;-)

And yep....tis an old piece of kit....and the photos that I took of the VBox were from using the 'James Webb' telescope...to see into the past....well....just wack a 'NASA' watermark in the bottom corner and it may aswell be...:-)

Anyway...it is funny what still actually works
Old 14-07-2022, 18:32   #9
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

I wasn't surprised it works, I've got a much older Freeview box that still works.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2022, 17:04   #10
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krilltis View Post
Seeing as it's mega hot and my brain is melting....any of you gals/guys/non-binary etc....know what this little gem is?

No clues....well....ok....just the one clue....'You don't have to be a Virgin Media customer to own one'....emphasis on the word "own"....

So....it's....what?
TV looks like old analogue cable tell and the use of scart shows it's not HD
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 10:48   #11
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

The Jerrold analogue cable box you could fry an egg on, it was dual purpose.
Can't cook anything on these new rubbish ones.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2022, 21:15   #12
Dingbat
cf.member

Dingbat has disabled reputation

Reminds me. Got an original BT Freeview box in the loft somewhere from when I was field trialling for the launch of BTTV.

Oh, and also in the loft is a Zenith 486 laptop with Windows 3.1 and a 28.8k modem PCI card. Got that in about 1993.
Dingbat is offline   Reply With Quote