Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Sky taking a leaf out of VMs book Re:Youtube

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar

BT Infinity2 - Questions?

Old 07-05-2013, 13:10   #1
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light
BT Infinity2 - Questions?

Guys,

Seriously thinking of BT Infinity 2 as the Cab is just across the street from me!

However I would like to know something about the hardware it comes with if anyone would care to enlighten me

What 'boxes' come with it?
How many power sockets do you need for the kit?
What 'sits' at the Master Socket?
Does the infamous HH have to reside at the Master Socket?

and finally
Can the HH be replaced with a Router of my choice?

Many thanks in advance !!
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2013, 15:24   #2
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Re: BT Infinity2 - Questions?

I'm on Sky fibre pro unlimited which is a little different to BT but you will get an openreach modem and a HH.

Ideally the OR modem sits at the master socket but can be resited with an extender kit. Ask the OR engineer.

With the aid of a long enough ethernet cable the HH can be sited anywhere you want, within reason.

Yes you can replace the HH with your own router quite easily or so I have been led to believe.

I hope your install goes without a hitch. With the cab so close you should get top speeds.

Enjoy
Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:07   #3
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers Mick for the information.
I'm slightly worried about the line as it's a bit 'noisy', but I intend to remove all the old legacy extension cables dotted about the house which are not in use.
I also have an old 'GPO' silver post in the garden about a foot tall, and I'm not exactly sure what it is or even if my line is connected to it.
This may all have an impact on my speeds.
I'll really like a site survey done before I commit but, I doubt if I could arrange it
I suppose I can always cancel assuming BT give a cooling off period with the Contract.
I'll keep this thread updated as I go along.
Cheers,
Old 08-05-2013, 15:53   #4
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by adduxi View Post
Cheers Mick for the information.
I'm slightly worried about the line as it's a bit 'noisy', but I intend to remove all the old legacy extension cables dotted about the house which are not in use.
Quiet Line Test

Unplug any extention phones, extention cables, answer machines or fax (anything except the phone you will use to do the test!).

Plug a normal (corded) touch tone phone directly into the BT master socket.

Dial 17070, press option 2 (quiet line test)

You should hear 'Quiet Line Test' and then silence, there should be no pops, clicks, whistles, buzzing etc. If there is noise on the line, make sure it's not your phones connection to the socket (wiggle it about a bit) and that you are using the master socket. If you are sure its the line making the noise then dial BT (or WorldOnline) and report the fault, they should be able to sort it out. Remember that 'mis-reporting' a fault (e.g. if it turns out to be your phone, extention cord etc.) may be charged a call-out fee by BT.

Quote:
I also have an old 'GPO' silver post in the garden about a foot tall, and I'm not exactly sure what it is or even if my line is connected to it.
Hmmm...Never heard of a "'GPO' silver post". Nothing on Google. I can only think it's an earthing rod??

Quote:
This may all have an impact on my speeds.
I'll really like a site survey done before I commit but, I doubt if I could arrange it
I suppose I can always cancel assuming BT give a cooling off period with the Contract.
I'll keep this thread updated as I go along.
Cheers,
The OR engineer should pick up any line faults when he installs your FTTC service. Don't forget, at the moment you are connected to the exchange but when your FTTC goes live you will be connected to a Cab which you say is just across the street.
Old 09-05-2013, 14:48   #5
adduxi
cf.addict

Mick,
Again thanks for the info. Very informative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
Hmmm...Never heard of a "'GPO' silver post". Nothing on Google. I can only think it's an earthing rod??
Yes, it's a strange beast! I'll take a photo and post it up here for your information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Fisher View Post
The OR engineer should pick up any line faults when he installs your FTTC service. Don't forget, at the moment you are connected to the exchange but when your FTTC goes live you will be connected to a Cab which you say is just across the street.
This is good to know, and I now feel more confident in going forward with the installation.

Cheers,
Old 09-05-2013, 17:26   #6
adduxi
cf.addict

Quote:
Yes, it's a strange beast! I'll take a photo and post it up here for your information.
As promised. The 'post' is right in the corner of the garden at the fence, on the other side is the public footpath.

Old 10-05-2013, 14:55   #7
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Although I don't recall seeing one of those before it does look kinda familiar in a deja vu'ish way.

Show it to the OR tech maybe he will enlighten us.
Old 10-05-2013, 15:16   #8
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Just found this on another forum, it might explain what it is or used to be, the info is 4 years old so take from it what you will

Quote:
They used to be markers that there was a ' GPO ' or telecom jointing box or post near by, hence the question of man hole cover above, however nowadays they are mostly obsolete with the posts been removed whent the underground plant is relocated.

BT /Openreach do a free' Dial before you dig ' service where they will send someone out to mark the area and identify any currently in service cables and wires prior to anyone digging up the pavements / roads . I'll get you the number tomorrow as it may be worth a call before anything ' happens ' to the post
Quote:
DIAL BEFORE YOU DIG CONTROL, 0800 917 3993. option 4 ... Charter Row, Sheffield South Yorkshire S1 3EF .

Not sure if this is the most recent of the local contacts
Hope it helps
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28   #9
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

From further down the same page however...

Quote:
I rang dial b4 you dig, they told me it would be £200 to have some one come out and just look at the post. They would then decide how much it will cost to move it.
So as you can guess i declined
Quote:
Be very careful, do not attempt to move or in any way interfere with it, and do not let your builder mess with or damage it. It might look an eyesore but it is BT property at the end of the day. BT's charges for damaged plant are very expensive. Don't say I didn't warn you. When I worked for BT the dial before you dig service was free of charge but nowadays could have changed, did you explain the situation to the right department.
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 15:34   #10
adduxi
cf.addict

Well finally got the install done and as to the sliver GPO box, the engineer had no idea!?!?
I guess he was too young to remember antiques .....

As for the Cab across the street, it seems, yes it is a new 'terminating' FTTC cab, but my phone line from this cab, goes back up the street and around the corner to another cab and back to my house.
It's from this further away cab I get my line, so I'll lose some speed ....... you really couldn't make this stuff up !!

I'll leave the install to settle and report some speed tests in due course. Just have to think about which router to replace the Home Hub with.

By the way, the kit supplied a HH3 and I've emailed to complain and ask why the new install didn't come with a HH4 !!
Old 04-06-2013, 15:38   #11
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Well finally got the install done and as to the sliver GPO box, the engineer had no idea!?!?
I guess he was too young to remember antiques .....

As for the Cab across the street, it seems, yes it is a new 'terminating' FTTC cab, but my phone line from this cab, goes back up the street and around the corner to another cab and back to my house.
It's from this further away cab I get my line, so I'll lose some speed ....... you really couldn't make this stuff up !!

I'll leave the install to settle and report some speed tests in due course. Just have to think about which router to replace the Home Hub with.

By the way, the kit supplied a HH3 and I've emailed to complain and ask why the new install didn't come with a HH4 !!
My kit just came..for install tomorrow

it is HH4, I hope that is good
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 15:43   #12
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin25 View Post
My kit just came..for install tomorrow
Sooo Close!

The HH4 has Dual Wifi meaning both 2.4 and 5Ghz run at the same time which can improve wifi speed, if your other wifi equipment supports it.
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 15:44   #13
colin25
Inactive

Services: Sky Tv, BT infinity broadband - since 5 June 2013..oh, and a BT phone (BT infinityyyy and beyonddddd
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star
colin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny starcolin25 has a nice shiny star

ok..seems it does this

It gives you the option of using a 5Ghz connection with suitable devices whilst also using the usual 2.4ghz wifi connection at the same time.
5Ghz will give faster speeds at short ranges (same room) but doesn't have as good a range as 2.4Ghz. Having the option of using 5Ghz is also better for use in congested wifi environments as less neighbours are likely to also use it (for now at least).. so less interference from other devices/wifi networks.
colin25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 20:05   #14
adduxi
cf.addict

Quote:
<snip> my phone line from this cab, goes back up the street and around the corner to another cab and back to my house.
It's from this further away cab I get my line, so I'll lose some speed<snip>
Just done a few speed tests and averaging around 65DL and 16UL, so not too far off the estimated 72/19 I was quoted.
The Profile on the modem is 67/20.

Next is the replacement of the HH3 with my old ASUS RT-N16 router. Really don't like the HH3, severe lack of user configuration
Old 12-06-2013, 20:25   #15
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Shame about the IP profile, do you have a TBB graph set up?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote