Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2021, 09:54   #8446
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

https://www.skygroup.sky/en-gb/artic...-films-in-2021
Advertisement
Old 25-01-2021, 10:47   #8447
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l cannot remember for the life of me who it was that said the day of reckoning was coming for Sky.
Are Sky still around? Sorry, my bad, mixed them up with Eleven Sports.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:12   #8448
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Are Sky still around? Sorry, my bad, mixed them up with Eleven Sports.
More shockingly Freeview is still around.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:14   #8449
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
More shockingly Freeview is still around.
Can’t believe folk are so brain dead as to still stick their TV on and press a number to access a channel. How quaint.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:20   #8450
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...e-goes-global/

Netflix Direct, which presents the streamer’s content library in the form of a traditional linear schedule, is to be rolled out internationally.
Old 25-01-2021, 12:25   #8451
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Can’t believe folk are so brain dead as to still stick their TV on and press a number to access a channel. How quaint.
From the BroadbandTVNews item
Quote:
We’re going to now roll out globally because it’s really working for us, where our members can basically indicate to us that they just want to skip browsing entirely, click one button and we’ll pick a title for them just to instantly play. And that’s a great mechanism that’s worked quite well for our members in that situation,” said Gregory K. Peters, COO & Chief Product Officer, Netflix in an investor interview.
Old 25-01-2021, 13:13   #8452
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Not U.K. related but this sorta seems big..

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301213995.html

WWE Network to shut down in the US and all of its content including live PPVs (any no added cost) will move to Peacock.
Old 25-01-2021, 13:27   #8453
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
30 original films in one year is quite a number - and one probably borne out of necessity once theatrical exhibition cratered (And I expect a few of those titles to have been once earmarked for theatrical like Blithe Spirit) but it’s probably the right direction to go in - and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them lean on more British product much like Sky Italia do with local language films.
I noticed today on my Sky Q box that Sky Cinema subscribers are now getting 20% off Sky Store rentals not sure if this is a permanent offer or just a temporary one it seems to make HD rentals cheaper than competitors now at £4.39.
Old 25-01-2021, 13:56   #8454
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
From the BroadbandTVNews item
Interesting....
Old 25-01-2021, 13:57   #8455
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2021...e-goes-global/

Netflix Direct, which presents the streamer’s content library in the form of a traditional linear schedule, is to be rolled out internationally.
Except that it would not be the same. They are not planning to have a schedule as such, it will simply be targeted content that you can see from the start. This is not inconsistent with what I envisaged after several posters commented over time that there were occasions when they were tired and just wanted to switch on the TV and watch whatever was being served up. My response was that targeted content could be served up on a random basis from similar programmes you have watched in the past, and that this could play until such time as you wanted to select something else.

That seems to be exactly what this is.
Old 25-01-2021, 13:59   #8456
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Except that it would not be the same. They are not planning to have a schedule as such, it will simply be targeted content that you can see from the start. This is not inconsistent with what I envisaged after several posters commented over time that there were occasions when they were tired and just wanted to switch on the TV and watch whatever was being served up. My response was that targeted content could be served up on a random basis from similar programmes you have watched in the past, and that this could play until such time as you wanted to select something else.

It's no different from linear channels targeting different demographics. The only difference is Netflix can probably guess your demographic. Otherwise folk choose their favourite channels, just as they choose their favourite streamers, based on the content offered.
Old 25-01-2021, 15:57   #8457
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Not U.K. related but this sorta seems big..

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...301213995.html

WWE Network to shut down in the US and all of its content including live PPVs (any no added cost) will move to Peacock.
Peacock is exceptional value already as it has most premier league matches on plus NBC catalogue and Universal, adding WWE to it too will make it incredible value for money.
Old 25-01-2021, 16:13   #8458
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post

I've had a look - can't seem to find these "several posters"; can you point their comments out, please?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 25-01-2021, 18:09   #8459
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I've had a look - can't seem to find these "several posters"; can you point their comments out, please?
There have been several comments about this. Here is one (post #1150 from the linear channels thread).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
Hello Old Boy,

My opinion on this remains the same as I've said before and as people choose streaming services over traditional pay tv, many linear channels will close.

However, in many regards, I see tv of tomorrow looking very much as it did thirty years ago with there remaining a core group of linear channels acting as shop windows into their respective streaming services.

Until true intelligent tv comes along (some way off) many people do not want to wade through endless menus or have to "think" about what they want to watch after a long day and a core group of linear channels which are broad in nature, as our main channels used to be, with a varied selection of programming, will dominate I believe. Having wall-to-wall reality crap and celebrity chefs will become a thing of the past as those channels with poor quality content close.

Don't be surprised within five years to find a Netflix One channel, (perhaps a Netflix Kids channel, or Netflix Crime channel etc) which shows the best of what's on offer on Netflix's streaming service. And if people want to break away from the linear schedule and binge watch a certain show, rather than waiting for the next episode to appear in the linear schedule, they've only got to enter the streaming service to do it. Ie Press the red button to binge watch the whole season of a show you're currently watching.

Who runs these linear channels in the future though, I think is very much up for debate and all depends on which streaming services survive over the next ten years or so. I believe Disney and Netflix will survive, not sure on the others yet and I believe ultimately our own UK broadcasters may well collapse.
There are other comments that are more specific - Harry Hitch I recall was one of them making this point directly.
Old 26-01-2021, 00:50   #8460
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Peacock is exceptional value already as it has most premier league matches on plus NBC catalogue and Universal, adding WWE to it too will make it incredible value for money.
Absolutely incredible news for those in USA. Premier league football, NBC content both classic and new and now the WWE network all for 5.99 or 9.99 for no adverts. Superb...

Only thing that worries me is

1) Will the US version of the WWE network bring over everything that is currently on it to peacock? This could impact the flow of new content elsewhere.

2) Will the WWE now be desperately looking for its next biggest market the UK to sell the wwe network rights? Where would it go? BT Sport App? Possibly but why would BT sport spend even more money for the network coverage then their app doesn't have huge numbers? So who would go for the network in the UK? Now TV? Well its owned by comcast but it surely couldnt go there as WWE have just done a deal with BT sports! Amazon Prime? Possibly?

3) Will the classic content still be uploaded? I'm a huge fan of stuff from the 1980s and 1990s and it has become noticeable they've slowed down these uploads. Will it slow to a halt now? Will peacock want new uploads such as 1980s midsouth? Possibly not!

I'd just rather have confirmation from the horses mouth that the network will exist as it is currently in the UK for the short term since all their social media accounts keep saying "keep checking our website!!". They really don't do good customer service for anyone outside the US...
Closed Thread