Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | GB News / Talk TV

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

GB News / Talk TV

Old 16-09-2021, 21:28   #391
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: GB News

Do we think GB News is done for now? Struggling as it is but if they have another rival going after the same audience then it'll be some achievement to pull it off. Only advantage they have for now is that talkTV won't be on air until the new year.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-09-2021, 21:44   #392
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Do we think GB News is done for now? Struggling as it is but if they have another rival going after the same audience then it'll be some achievement to pull it off. Only advantage they have for now is that talkTV won't be on air until the new year.
Yeah - done for imo because they are not in a good place.

It might even happen that Murdoch offers Farage a more lucrative slot.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2021, 22:35   #393
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

I think they might follow the LBC path and not be explicitly 'right-wing' but instead simply provocative and therefore also have left-wing hosts so long as they push the right buttons to get reactions from guests and the audience. Think of James O'Brien on LBC. I am sure they could find others. I.E They make 'Let's rejoin the EU' a discussion point, angry people phone in, call them idiots, get supportive calls, more calls to argue with those callers and away you go. Easy views.
Old 16-09-2021, 23:09   #394
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

I think with their News UK heritage, the new channel will also focus on sport and celebrities. Add in Dow Jones financial content and you have a far broader mix than GB News's focus on commentators.

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 23:08 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Yeah - done for imo because they are not in a good place.

It might even happen that Murdoch offers Farage a more lucrative slot.

Agreed on both counts.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 10:39   #395
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

The rat on question time sitting on the fence on everything presumably to keep his employment opportunities open.

It’s for others to make their own judgements. What weasel worded nonsense. In the words of the great Roy Walker “say what you see”.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 10:57   #396
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The rat on question time sitting on the fence on everything presumably to keep his employment opportunities open.

It’s for others to make their own judgements. What weasel worded nonsense. In the words of the great Roy Walker “say what you see”.
Why should he? He’s a private citizen working in an industry where you frequently have to produce copy from a perspective that reflects the editorial line even if it doesn’t perfectly align with your own. He doesn’t owe you or anyone else an explanation and for you to describe him in these terms for refusing to indulge you is just a little unhinged. You seem to have him confused with a politician you elected to serve your interests, though frankly even in that case your mode of expression would be extreme.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 11:00   #397
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Why should he? He’s a private citizen working in an industry where you frequently have to produce copy from a perspective that reflects the editorial line even if it doesn’t perfectly align with your own. He doesn’t owe you or anyone else an explanation and for you to describe him in these terms for refusing to indulge you is just a little unhinged. You seem to have him confused with a politician you elected to serve your interests, though frankly even in that case your mode of expression would be extreme.
Old 17-09-2021, 11:34   #398
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
It only shows him up as spineless.

He’s offered his own opinions on many political issues from the south of France, regardless of apparent journalistic impartiality you portray.

I don’t consider it particularly unhinged to call him out for what he is. A rat deserting a sinking ship.

He does indeed have the right to say nothing - it only seems odd to go onto Question Time to not answer the most obvious pertinent questions.
Old 17-09-2021, 11:46   #399
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
It only shows him up as spineless.

He’s offered his own opinions on many political issues from the south of France, regardless of apparent journalistic impartiality you portray.

I don’t consider it particularly unhinged to call him out for what he is. A rat deserting a sinking ship.

He does indeed have the right to say nothing - it only seems odd to go onto Question Time to not answer the most obvious pertinent questions.
Wasn't one of the aims of GB News was to stand up to 'cancel culture'?

Surely you're not now suggesting the BBC cancel him from appearing to express his opinions?
Old 17-09-2021, 11:59   #400
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
Wasn't one of the aims of GB News was to stand up to 'cancel culture'?

Surely you're not now suggesting the BBC cancel him from appearing to express his opinions?
I’m at a loss is he this benign impartial journalist entitled to private opinions, or is he a public figure of standing in the media who wants to throw his opinions out there and indeed seek to influence public discourse by doing so?

I’m a rational capitalist, I don’t see why the public sector should step in and supplement his income following a failed venture.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:05   #401
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I would be interested to hear why he left though. I would imagine given he was effectively leading the channel's set-up he had a significant say in the editorial line until he, reportedly, fell out over that direction with the other senior people there.

Neil himself was promoting this channel as an antidote to the 'woke' media and had a segment called 'Woke Watch' so I'll be interested to hear where he intended the channel to go.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
I’m a rational capitalist, I don’t see why the public sector should step in and supplement his income following a failed venture.
They're employing him to perform a task he is good at. Personally, I think he should have stayed the BBC in the first place.
Old 17-09-2021, 16:11   #402
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I would be interested to hear why he left though. I would imagine given he was effectively leading the channel's set-up he had a significant say in the editorial line until he, reportedly, fell out over that direction with the other senior people there.

Neil himself was promoting this channel as an antidote to the 'woke' media and had a segment called 'Woke Watch' so I'll be interested to hear where he intended the channel to go.

---------- Post added at 13:05 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

They're employing him to perform a task he is good at. Personally, I think he should have stayed the BBC in the first place.
Well, I don't think he will be heading off to News UK any time soon, not given what he said about Fox News last night on Question Time, he also revealed he was in a minority of one, regarding GB News direction.

Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 18:09   #403
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

I would be interested to see what direction he envisioned though? Because to me it isn’t that different. They might be leaning into the culture war more heavily now but he made a big point of taking on ‘wokeness’ which is pretty similar.

If you want Neil on the BBC he generally gives all politicians a hard time so unless he was told he has to give certain guests an easier time I can’t think what his issue was.
Old 17-09-2021, 18:31   #404
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

His principals possibly didn't appreciate Neil's self-importance. That was his problem at the BBC at the time of the general election.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 18:52   #405
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

LATEST: GB News issues statement on last nights QT:

Quote:
1/2 During last night’s BBC Question Time, a number of demonstrably untrue remarks were made about GB News. We stand for fair debate, tolerance, free speech and factual journalism. There are always more than two sides to any story and we believe in listening to all of them

2/2 We look forward to welcoming Andrew Neil back on GB News on Monday for his regular appearance.
Basically someone on the panel says the channel is a capture of bigotry. Must be some alternate reality they were talking about.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote