Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Britain outside the EU

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Britain outside the EU

Old 10-09-2021, 21:59   #2386
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Please see above - hth…
Re: Sandwiches -

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...xit-terms.html

Quote:
M&S warned today that it is already slashing Christmas ranges for Northern Ireland due to 'pettifogging' enforcement of Brexit rules - as the UK unveils plans to override the protocol unless Brussels sees sense.

The head of the famous chain gave an extraordinary account of the obstacles facing exporter as Lord Frost laid out proposals for ending the bitter standoff over the divorce terms.

The peer is calling for most checks to be eliminated on goods moving from mainland Britain to Northern Ireland - insisting the friction within the UK is putting the peace process at risk.

M&S chairman Archie Norman said its festive products for Northern Ireland were already being 'delisted' and shoppers could face higher prices.

He said he feared that when grace periods come to an end there will be similar issues to those seen exports goods to Ireland, where whole shipments have been lost due to documents being filled out in the wrong colour pen. Mr Norman said that every sandwich required three veterinary certificates.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-09-2021, 01:11   #2387
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'm looking forward to Hugh's answer.
I'm looking forward to seeing OldBoy's original post about sandwich labelling.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 08:41   #2388
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
And does this requirement apply to all countries outside the EU ?
Old 11-09-2021, 09:08   #2389
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
And does this requirement apply to all countries outside the EU ?
What a silly question. Why do you do this? The GB/NI situation is unique and the sandwich problem needs to be seen in that light.

Old 11-09-2021, 09:24   #2390
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
What a silly question. Why do you do this? The GB/NI situation is unique and the sandwich problem needs to be seen in that light.
It’s a genuine question I’m looking for the answer too

A simple yes or no is enough

Edit: for clarification the question I’m asking is to if these requirements apply from any non EU country into the EU/EU customs union.

Last edited by mrmistoffelees; 11-09-2021 at 09:38.
mrmistoffelees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:02   #2391
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
It’s a genuine question I’m looking for the answer too

A simple yes or no is enough

Edit: for clarification the question I’m asking is to if these requirements apply from any non EU country into the EU/EU customs union.
For clarification: The question is do the requirements to label and provide 3x veterinary certificates for each sandwich apply to imports from any non EU country into the EU/EU customs union/single market.

That is not a genuine question because you know the answer. EU rules are EU rules within the pragmatic allowances they could make But your question is not genuine because the EU is unlikely to import sandwiches from third countries.

As if you didn't know, the NI/GB situation is unique and the routine transfer of sandwiches (say, by M&S) from GB to NI has been shattered by intransigent application of EU rules. The poxy EU is just being difficult, most likely as punishment for Brexit.

I do at last believe that the UK is going to stand up for itself. Better late than never.

It seems perverse to me that Remainers imply we could have avoided all this nastiness by staying in the EU.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:11   #2392
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
For clarification: The question is do the requirements to label and provide 3x veterinary certificates for each sandwich apply to imports from any non EU country into the EU/EU customs union/single market.

That is not a genuine question because you know the answer. EU rules are EU rules within the pragmatic allowances they could make But your question is not genuine because the EU is unlikely to import sandwiches from third countries.

As if you didn't know, the NI/GB situation is unique and the routine transfer of sandwiches (say, by M&S) from GB to NI has been shattered by intransigent application of EU rules. The poxy EU is just being difficult, most likely as punishment for Brexit.

I do at last believe that the UK is going to stand up for itself. Better late than never.

It seems perverse to me that Remainers imply we could have avoided all this nastiness by staying in the EU.

Do the same requirements apply to any non eu country importing into the eu/eu customs union !

They either do or the don’t ? So, yes or no ?
Old 11-09-2021, 10:21   #2393
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

If I might interject … obviously the labelling rules apply to third countries. That’s precisely the point the UK government wants to make.

A Brexit deal in 2020 was only possible with some sort of provision for Northern Ireland in it. The NI provisions threatened to derail the entire process so HMG accepted them. I think their reasoning was not that the protocol was as decent a compromise as was possible under the circumstances, but that it was an outrageous infringement on internationally accepted norms of sovereignty, to such an extent that they could keep delaying its implementation without loss of international support and without the EU enjoying the political commitment of its member states to take rapid legal action.

The endgame here clearly is the technologically driven, invisible customs border between RoI and NI that has been discussed at length in this thread, with compromise after compromise muddled through until it is possible to implement that.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:43   #2394
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If I might interject … obviously the labelling rules apply to third countries. That’s precisely the point the UK government wants to make.

A Brexit deal in 2020 was only possible with some sort of provision for Northern Ireland in it. The NI provisions threatened to derail the entire process so HMG accepted them. I think their reasoning was not that the protocol was as decent a compromise as was possible under the circumstances, but that it was an outrageous infringement on internationally accepted norms of sovereignty, to such an extent that they could keep delaying its implementation without loss of international support and without the EU enjoying the political commitment of its member states to take rapid legal action.

The endgame here clearly is the technologically driven, invisible customs border between RoI and NI that has been discussed at length in this thread, with compromise after compromise muddled through until it is possible to implement that.
I think the implication from earlier posts by Old Boy had been that the EU was treating the UK harshly by interpreting the Brexit Deal to the letter and not by the spirit of the agreement. Seph confirmed that this was wrong as the EU treated all Third Countries in the same way.

If I understand you correctly, you believe the Brexit deal was unreasonable with regard to the NI provisions.

I think Johnson's end game is to kick the tin can down the alley long enough to see out this Parliament. It's an interesting situation to watch.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:48   #2395
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

To be honest, any country that needs to import ready made sandwiches needs to have a long hard look at itself.

Getting pretty fed up with all the stupid bickering, posturing, excuses etc regarding this type of crap . . . media driven insanity that triggers the gullible
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:04   #2396
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think the implication from earlier posts by Old Boy had been that the EU was treating the UK harshly by interpreting the Brexit Deal to the letter and not by the spirit of the agreement. Seph confirmed that this was wrong as the EU treated all Third Countries in the same way.

If I understand you correctly, you believe the Brexit deal was unreasonable with regard to the NI provisions.

I think Johnson's end game is to kick the tin can down the alley long enough to see out this Parliament. It's an interesting situation to watch.
I agree with Old Boy to the extent that the EU is indeed trying to implement the letter without due regard for the spirit or indeed the difficult political context. However I don’t think the EU is trying to issue a punishment beating per se. It’s always good to bear in mind that the European Commission is the civil service of the Union. They are bureaucrats, not politicians, and they slavishly follow the rules because that’s the core skill set of a bureaucrat. It’s somewhat worse in the EU’s case because the European Commission is a civil service on the French model, rather than the British. The French civil service is typically more activist than ours in proposing and promoting policy to the executive. Such is the case also in Brussels. So in “defending the treaties” the Commission really is defending its own baby. Annoying for us, but unsurprising.

The Northern Ireland provisions in the Brexit deal must be seen in this context. They are designed to defend the single market because that’s what the European Commission is for. The European Commission has no real understanding of national sovereignty because part of its mission is to facilitate the transition away from that concept to one in which the EU has broad competency over many things. Fundamentally it does not, and cannot, understand Brexit because it is a move in precisely the opposite direction to that which it exists to pursue.

So, the Northern Ireland provisions pursue something intrinsically “good” as far as the Commission is concerned, and anything that hinders that pursuit is therefore “not-good”. This is how we ended up with an intractable situation prior to the deal being signed and, I believe, Boris’ ultimate decision to sign it for the sake of getting the deal done, and then undermine it at every opportunity thereafter. As written, it is blindingly obvious that it is incompatible with any internationally recognised definition of sovereignty, but given the European Commission’s entire raison d’etre it is also entirely understandable that it is either blind or indifferent to that fact.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:36   #2397
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post
To be honest, any country that needs to import ready made sandwiches needs to have a long hard look at itself.

Getting pretty fed up with all the stupid bickering, posturing, excuses etc regarding this type of crap . . . media driven insanity that triggers the gullible
It's too easy to agree with you - but I can't on this occasion.

Your point amounts to M&S (the case in point) making sandwiches in NI vs continuance of their pre-Brexit practice of just-in-time deliveries from GB. So it comes down to M&S (in this case) choosing between increased production costs or cutting their losses. And all because the poxy EU won't implement their rules in a reasonable manner.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:45   #2398
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

there are a few members that get triggered every time the Eu dirty tricks are questioned.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:58   #2399
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
It's too easy to agree with you - but I can't on this occasion.

Your point amounts to M&S (the case in point) making sandwiches in NI vs continuance of their pre-Brexit practice of just-in-time deliveries from GB. So it comes down to M&S (in this case) choosing between increased production costs or cutting their losses. And all because the poxy EU won't implement their rules in a reasonable manner.

I think 'just in time deliveries' have taken a bit of a knocking just lately, probably easier in the long run (and better for the environment) for M&S to start making sandwiches in NI . . provides employment too

Probably cuts into profits, but that's how things go . . you either want to sell stuff in NI or you don't
Carth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 14:04   #2400
mrmistoffelees

Right, so we can agree that this applies to all non EU countries, we’re not being ‘picked on’ by the ‘perfidious EU’ or other such nonsense. This is just one of the consequences that has to be dealt with. Fab