Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2021, 17:17   #6526
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
Trouble here that things get complex very quickly. Wear here but not there but not if you are buying this only in this situation.

As can be seen on here there are competing and valid reasons behind wearing or not wearing masks, keeping or dropping rules. Our leaders (again wouldn't matter who they are) have to think in a bigger scale that we as individuals and whichever way things move it's going to "discomfort" someone.

We are looking forward to getting back to church, meeting together, singing together. Our building is big enough and setup in a way that we can have areas separated off for those wanting to "isolate" and the rest of those of us not wanting (or needing) to do so.

I guess shops could set aside periods where masks would be required/requested more strongly for those wanting/needing more protection and that could possibly work except for those in those groups who can't make those times and how do you police the changeover?

There's a significant difference between 'discomfort' & that of 'serious illness and/or death' which 5m people are potentially at risk of.

I find your attitude quite odd keeping in mind to your religious beliefs
Old 19-07-2021, 17:18   #6527
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
This however is total and utter overkill, if you're still shielding ask them to put the package down, step back and if needs be spray it or wipe it down with disinfectant wipes etc. What you've done above is antagonistic,inflammatory and puerile
Not at all. Imagine the delivery driver sneezing and schnotting over the medical package and RC misses that bit when he's wiping down ...

My advice is at your risk.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:21   #6528
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-57864699 @17:00

Quote:
Nightclubs for fully vaccinated only from end of September - Zahawi
Zahawi has announced that people will be required to be fully vaccinated to attend "large crowded settings" such as nightclubs from the end of September - after all over-18s have had the chance to receive both vaccine doses and develop immunity.

"So at that point we plan to make full vaccination a condition of entry to nightclubs and other venues where large crowds gather, proof of a negative test will no longer be sufficient," he said.

"We will ensure the appropriate exemptions for those who have genuine medical reasons of why they can't get vaccinated and I'm clear we will always look at the evidence available and do all we can to ensure people can continue to do the things they love."
So, in just over two months time, people won’t be able to get in a nightclub/other venues where there are large crowds - one assumes this is to stop infections?

But for the next two months, go for it!

Not following the logic…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:22   #6529
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
No it is not selfish.

The media have not seen the vast amount of people today, so I do not equate that to any valid opinion to as to who wants to wear a mask and who does not.

And in those circumstances, these individuals would be advised to stay in isolation for their own personal protection. I hope your not suggesting thousands of these very vulnerable people will be out and about with such a compromised immune system, like it's the normal thing to do.
Well both BBC/Sky News showed Birmingham New Stree and a station at an Oxford commuter belt virtually empty, and those that were there were 80% masked. Out on my travels today the vast majority of people were masked.

immunosuppressed/ compromised people go to work as we do every day. so, yes, there;s many thousands of those people who need protection.

You think you're right to not wear a mask is greater than someone's right to be protected. I disagree, neither of our opinions are more valid nor hold more weight so we can agree to disagree
Old 19-07-2021, 17:31   #6530
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
So you're choosing to go without medication .
No, I will change supplier if they don't meet my requirements.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:35   #6531
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
We're seeing approx. fifty deaths a day from cases ten days again where case rates were nowhere near the level they are. lets see what the deaths are looking like in the next few days. then we can do back of a fag packet maths and then extrapolate that against 100,000 or perhaps up to 200,000 cases a day. You're right about the vaccines, they are working but the link as has been repeatedly stated by the government and also the boffins is severed not completely broken.

I take your point regarding education and yes children have suffered during this past eighteen months. However (and i stress this is only what i have seen locally) parents are dead set against both extending the school day or shortening the school holidays. If we need to make up for the past eighteen months then surely should parents should be welcoming such options.

I did some reading before responding to this regarding suicides The BMJ is unable to prove a significant increase in suicides during the pandemic , never mind a ten fold increase. if you have evidence to the contrary I'd genuinely like to read it.

To your next point regarding the hospitality sector IMHO only certain areas are on their knees nightclub etc. Those same night clubs however refusing to use the NHS app. onto other areas of hospitality have you tried booking a staycation? Lake District, Cornwall etc. has little to no availability and the very limited availability is being priced exorbitantly £5k for a cottage in Whitby for a week?

I'm most concerned about those frontline NHS staff who have gone through more than a lot us would be able to comprehend over the past eighteen months. Those who now it appears are going to have to deal with yet another significant influx of patients. They IMHO need and deserve time to recover before they then have to start dealing with the huge backlog of those on waiting lists.

releasing everything in a 'big bang' is IMHO a reckless decision, BoJo himself is 'begging us to use our common sense' it will either pay off handsomely or we will by September/October be in yet another lockdown. I very much hope it's the former, but I very much believe it will be the latter.

just my 2p
[quote]
severed
/ˈsɛvəd/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: severed

having been cut or sliced off.
"severed limbs"
(of a connection) ended; broken off.
"the heartbreak of severed relationships"[/quote
Old 19-07-2021, 17:37   #6532
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
This however is total and utter overkill, if you're still shielding ask them to put the package down, step back and if needs be spray it or wipe it down with disinfectant wipes etc. What you've done above is antagonistic,inflammatory and puerile
I'm not prepared to risk becoming disabled or dying for anybody. My life is more important than whether you think this is antagonistic, inflammatory or puerile.

The driver didn't do any of what you suggested, he came right up to my face as I was semi hiding behind the door and was no longer wearing a face mask.

They will either meet my demands or I will go elsewhere. Unfortunately, I am an extremely good customer of medicinal products.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:38   #6533
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

So, in just over two months time, people won’t be able to get in a nightclub/other venues where there are large crowds - one assumes this is to stop infections?

Not following the logic…
I think the thinking is that there are still people who physically cannot get their second jab yet, so for them the only option is proof of a negative test.

Once everyone has passed that i.e. everyone over 18 has been offered a second jab + two weeks then it becomes a simple proposition to have the vaccine requirement.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:40   #6534
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
An immunocompromised or suppressed individual does not have the same amount of protection against the virus as you or i do as 'normal' individuals. a subset of this group wont be able to EVEN have the vaccine. The boffins we're saying on the news the other night that an eighty year old with both doses of the vaccine has the equivalent protection to a 35yr old who has had no vaccinations.

I can't think of a disease in my lifetime that has posed such a significant risk to the elderly or those as i've mentioned above which can spread so rapidly or so silently. Can you ?

I'll retain my stance that is is to a degree selfish. Thankfully, it would appear from what i've seen on the news today that the vast majority of the public are keen to keep masks.

We have a duty of care to those who who are at risk most in society. this to me comes over and above the fact that we legally not required to wear masks.
Best get them to tell the BMJ.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1088
Old 19-07-2021, 17:43   #6535
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
severed
/ˈsɛvəd/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
adjective: severed

having been cut or sliced off.
"severed limbs"
(of a connection) ended; broken off.
"the heartbreak of severed relationships"[/quote
Thanks for your insightful input.

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:41 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Best get them to tell the BMJ.

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n1088
You can take that up with Witty,Valiance et al they quoted it at the last briefing.

---------- Post added at 17:43 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I'm not prepared to risk becoming disabled or dying for anybody. My life is more important than whether you think this is antagonistic, inflammatory or puerile.

The driver didn't do any of what you suggested, he came right up to my face as I was semi hiding behind the door and was no longer wearing a face mask.

They will either meet my demands or I will go elsewhere. Unfortunately, I am an extremely good customer of medicinal products.
So, ask the driver to do it in future. Your reaction is juvenile.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:44   #6536
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think the thinking is that there are still people who physically cannot get their second jab yet, so for them the only option is proof of a negative test.

Once everyone has passed that i.e. everyone over 18 has been offered a second jab + two weeks then it becomes a simple proposition to have the vaccine requirement.
I don’t believe they need a negative test to get in at the moment.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/18/night...nter-14944656/

https://www.standard.co.uk/reveller/...d-b945364.html
Quote:
However, a majority of London nightclub operators insisted they would ignore guidance to introduce “covid passport” checks

Carlo Carello, co-founder and owner of Raffles nightclub in Chelsea, said they would not be making checks on the door as they are not mandatory.

He said: “We won’t be checking as it’s not a requirement for us. It’s all about trying to get back in the flow.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 19-07-2021 at 18:15.
Old 19-07-2021, 17:44   #6537
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

That would make sense but they need an option for 'unable to have vaccine'

From watching the press conference, boris appears to be saying 'start doing it now, because it's coming....'
Old 19-07-2021, 17:56   #6538
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

I think I'll just use some basic common sense and be cautious for the time being. At least with those that think otherwise we'll know one way or another very soon.
Old 19-07-2021, 18:11   #6539
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Not following the logic…
Control
The UK is becoming a dictatorship
Old 19-07-2021, 18:14   #6540
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

Not following the logic…
Logic, are you suggesting there has been any logic at all through this?