Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 76 84.44%
No 8 8.89%
Unsure 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 16:42   #2551
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
weren't so many teachers working from home first time around, unless you count emailing out a PDF every Friday for the next week, working.........................
Quite a few had to attend school to look after the children of key workers, too.

---------- Post added at 16:42 ---------- Previous post was at 16:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The problem is he’s trying to offer polite opposition rather than meaningful opposition, while always trying to appear “ahead” of the curve. Trying to pre-empt this Government is a farcical ask.
Sir Keir's invisible manifesto policy is doing the trick on polling so I doubt he'll change tack whilst this is the case. He did call for a national lockdown yesterday so he may have had over 24 hours' disagreement with the government!
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2021, 16:46   #2552
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Hong Kong: 9,000 cases since the start of the pandemic - schools online til 14 February.
Scotland: 9,000 cases in last 4 days - schools online to the end of January.

---------- Post added at 16:46 ---------- Previous post was at 16:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Sir Keir's invisible manifesto policy is doing the trick on polling so I doubt he'll change tack whilst this is the case. He did call for a national lockdown yesterday so he may have had over 24 hours' disagreement with the government!
In fairness to him it’s the David Cameron playbook circa 2005. Folk laughed he stood for nothing and didn’t have any policies then too.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:46   #2553
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
weren't so many teachers working from home first time around, unless you count emailing out a PDF every Friday for the next week, working.........................

Missus would give you an absolute leathering if she saw this ...

Trust me, the workload was horrific. Even that Friday PDF was most likely compiled from material that was never intended for use as remote learning.

I spent two whole evenings separating massive PDFs into usable daily chunks for her one week, including cutting the answers to all the questions off the documents before they could be sent to the kids.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:48   #2554
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Quite a few had to attend school to look after the children of key workers, too.

And vulnerable children, too...

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...onal-provision

Meanwhile, in Colchester...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-55531589
Quote:
Security officers removed Covid-19 "deniers" who were taking pictures of empty corridors at a NHS hospital where the intensive care unit is at maximum capacity, its chief executive said.

The incident took place at Colchester Hospital at the weekend.

Chief executive Nick Hulme said it "beggars belief" some people were calling the pandemic a hoax.

He said it was "the right thing to do" to keep corridors in outpatients units as empty as possible.

Mr Hulme said hospital security had to "remove people who were taking photographs of empty corridors and then posting them on social media, saying the hospital is not in crisis".

"When you've got that sort of social media pressure and those people denying the reality of Covid it really concerns us. Words fail me," he said.

"Why would people do that when we all know somebody who has died from Covid?

"Of course there are empty corridors at the weekend in outpatients, because that's the right thing to do.

"We are facing the biggest health challenge we've ever seen and we are still seeing people flouting the [social distancing] rules."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:49   #2555
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

BREAKING: COVID-19 Threat Level has been raised to 5 it's highest level yet:
It is different and separate to the tiered system but the raised level indicates:

"We are at a “material risk of health services being overwhelmed."
Old 04-01-2021, 16:51   #2556
Julian
Oh When The Saints!!

Julian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny starJulian has a nice shiny star
Julian has a nice shiny star

Quote:

IS IT ??
Old 04-01-2021, 16:55   #2557
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Trust me, the workload was horrific. Even that Friday PDF was most likely compiled from material that was never intended for use as remote learning.

I spent two whole evenings separating massive PDFs into usable daily chunks for her one week, including cutting the answers to all the questions off the documents before they could be sent to the kids.
And this is why not having a plan for online/blended education to supplement face to face education has been flawed from the start. There were quick wins to be had around existing holidays which would have prevented the inevitable.

Councils could (should) have developed one to two week chunks of long standalone sections of each course, prepared centrally, allowing teachers to concentrate on the teaching part. Now there’s a reason for no contingency plan and it’s that central Government absolutely never countenanced the idea and threatened schools that didn’t open with legal action.
Old 04-01-2021, 16:56   #2558
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

According to the FT the government have not ruled out closing schools until the mid-February half-term break.

https://www.ft.com/content/f1550dbb-...7-306ccfdaffca
Old 04-01-2021, 17:12   #2559
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

A study found that during the Spanish Flu outbreak, a US city that kept schools open, fared no worse than another which kept them closed.
The kids aren't going to be cooped up at home are they? At the very least they will be traipsing around the shops, mixing with the rest of us that have to be in shops.
It's not a matter of where people are, but what they are doing wherever they are. Behave responsibly, and they will be no impact, whether you are down the street, at a holiday home in the country, or in New Zealand. Attend a party of 100 people, and that is possibly going to cause problems, wherever you are on the planet.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:14   #2560
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
And this is why not having a plan for online/blended education to supplement face to face education has been flawed from the start. There were quick wins to be had around existing holidays which would have prevented the inevitable.

Councils could (should) have developed one to two week chunks of long standalone sections of each course, prepared centrally, allowing teachers to concentrate on the teaching part. Now there’s a reason for no contingency plan and it’s that central Government absolutely never countenanced the idea and threatened schools that didn’t open with legal action.
I wholeheartedly agree ... the SNP should have done much better.

All kids in our high school have a chromebook now, with the intention to extend this to P7, although in our LA that hasn’t happened yet. The programme seems to have minimal central input though.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:31   #2561
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

I apologise for the sweeping generalisation. I'm sure there was good and bad practice throughout the country. I am only calling on my experience, which I wouldn't describe as positive.

There was no personal contact (apart from the email) from the teacher for the eldest Y5.

and the youngest who was in reception - well they were just written off for the year - there was nothing, absolutely nothing in regards to any contact or work - we had to come up with our own.

If they do shut the schools I hope my lot have upped their game.

---------- Post added at 17:31 ---------- Previous post was at 17:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post

Quote:
I don't, fortunately....I don't even know anyone within extended friends and family that have had it.

2 work colleagues that had it in March are the only people I know personally that have had it.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm obviously not denying it exists of course not. Just pointing out people have different experiences.
Old 04-01-2021, 17:43   #2562
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote:
I don't, fortunately....I don't even know anyone within extended friends and family that have had it.

2 work colleagues that had it in March are the only people I know personally that have had it.

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm obviously not denying it exists of course not. Just pointing out people have different experiences.
Same here, as I have noted a few times.
Even after 10 months now, I still dont personally know of anyone.
The closest Ive come is (still) a couple of people at my wifes school, who both recovered just fine.

(and yes, they were back at school today).

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 04-01-2021, 18:22   #2563
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

I know of more people who have survived Covid-19, myself included, than have died of it, I only know of one person who died but they did have other underlying health conditions.

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

BREAKING: 26,000 are now believed to be in hospitals with Covid-19 - Prof Whitty is understood to have advised Prime Minister, the new variant is now in every part of the country. Source Laura Kuenssberg BBC.

This is it folks, we're heading for another national lockdown, with potentially more heavy sanctions for people who break the instructions.

---------- Post added at 18:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:51 ----------

Latest from BBC's Laura Kuenssberg: This from the 4 Chief Medical Officers across UK- 'We are not confident that the NHS can handle a further sustained rise in cases and without further action there is a material risk of the NHS in several areas being overwhelmed over the next 21 days.'

---------- Post added at 18:22 ---------- Previous post was at 18:09 ----------

BREAKING: Scotland Police have arrested SNP MP Margaret Ferrier over alleged Coronavirus restriction breaches in September 2020.
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...h-covid-rules/
Old 04-01-2021, 18:26   #2564
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Think that one shifted into the public interest. Although it's not an arrest for a breach of the Covid regulations as the previous view (from the Met?) was she had breached guidance but not regulations I think.
Old 04-01-2021, 18:36   #2565
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

About time too. She was my local MSP and should have been charged when the incident happened.