Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream traffic management scrapped

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream traffic management scrapped

Old 23-05-2018, 19:32   #1
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Upstream traffic management scrapped

As of today, it appears that VM have scrapped upstream traffic management on all packages.

http://virginmedia.com/trafficmanagement
cje85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-05-2018, 00:27   #2
cje85
cf.member

cje85 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Upstream traffic management scrapped

Apologies, the correct link is: http://www.virginmedia.com/traffic
cje85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 00:38   #3
SirThomas
cf.addict

Services: Vodafone 80x20 Backup, MixTV & V6, Vivid 350, Hub3 & RT-AC87u
SirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really niceSirThomas is just really nice

Now that's interesting...

How handy, I'm up for renewal on my contract soon, I guess I can safely move off the 'Gamer' plan, now!

Tom
SirThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 00:41   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

So there is no shaping on newsgroups either?
Old 24-05-2018, 02:25   #5
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

According to that link, it would appear not.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 09:30   #6
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

If they have done this on the uploads then i cant see any chance now of getting an upstream upgrade soon on any packages.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:32   #7
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
If they have done this on the uploads then i cant see any chance now of getting an upstream upgrade soon on any packages.
I'm actually surprised they didn't keep traffic management and up upload speeds to keep things in check.

From what I remember when they removed download STM, it was actually cost-saving - it was cheaper to just add capacity than run and maintain the infrastructure required to monitor and reduce people's speeds. It's probably a similar thing on the upload side of things.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:37   #8
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

I think a big part of the removal of traffic management will be the changes to broadband advertising rules.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:39   #9
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
I think a big part of the removal of traffic management will be the changes to broadband advertising rules.
I was wondering about this as well. However you don't really see upload speeds mentioned much anyway - so perhaps also a sign of Virgin increasing theirs?
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 11:47   #10
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Other ISPs are apparently publicising their upload figures:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-speeds.html

I guess if Virgin do nothing, they run the risk of others running adverts saying "2x faster than Virgin Media's average upload so you can post more pictures online" or whatever, also if VM want to advertise upload speeds in the near future, they need to remove the traffic management now so that they can get a few months of test data at the better speed.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 13:22   #11
batchain
cf.addict

batchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to beholdbatchain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
Other ISPs are apparently publicising their upload figures:

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...nd-speeds.html

I guess if Virgin do nothing, they run the risk of others running adverts saying "2x faster than Virgin Media's average upload so you can post more pictures online" or whatever, also if VM want to advertise upload speeds in the near future, they need to remove the traffic management now so that they can get a few months of test data at the better speed.
Unlike all major rivals, the Virgin website clearly states the average upload speed on all broadband products

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/broa...band-only.html

The 'other ISPs' in that article apparently being Plusnet/John Lewis. Can't seem to find any mention of the upload speed for the 10Mb offering though. Indeed looking at the Plusnet and John Lewis websites the upload speed isn't clearly mentioned for any product. This also seems to be the case for other ISPs too with Sky relegating upload speeds to the small print.

Virgin
54Mb/3Mb
108Mb/6Mb
213Mb/12Mb
362Mb/21Mb

Plusnet
10Mb/?
36Mb/ 9Mb
66Mb/ 18Mb

Sky
10Mb/0.7Mb
36Mb/9Mb
58Mb/18Mb
batchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 15:04   #12
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

With other ISp's offering around six times the upload speed on their lowest speed tiers, I think VM should seriously think about a major increase.
Taf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 19:29   #13
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
With other ISp's offering around six times the upload speed on their lowest speed tiers, I think VM should seriously think about a major increase.
Taf exactly, i really think 30mb should be a minimum on the 362mb tarrif.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 19:32   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

well they are continuously moving in the direction with capacity upgrades, speed upgrades and stm removal so who knows, maybe upload speed increase will be next and everyone will be realigned to 10:1. It would make sense once everyone is on 4 upstreams running qam64.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2018, 19:39   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Who is offering 6 x upload (so 6 x 20 = 120M) ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote