Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 19-05-2018, 17:07   #4291
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Not in my opinion OB.
How do you find them useful, Den? They are not even in HD. I rarely watch anything in SD these days.

---------- Post added at 17:07 ---------- Previous post was at 17:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onramp View Post
I guess there are people out there that would want to record 6 channels and watch catchup on a 7th, but really, how often would that happen in practice? Bandwidth on cable for broadcast is at a premium. I think +1s, while originally a nice concept, are now just a waste of space.

Given the option, an individual subscriber could theoretically choose channels that they want to ¨+1-ify¨ by using some of their free tuners to fill a temporary area of their box with 1 hour old content. Then you could even choose to make a particular channel a +2 if you wanted.
If you have two linked V6s, that's not a problem!
Advertisement
Old 19-05-2018, 17:56   #4292
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
How do you find them useful, Den? They are not even in HD. I rarely watch anything in SD these days.
There are useful because l use them as l do a lot of recordings to watch in the coming days.
Old 19-05-2018, 18:15   #4293
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
You are being pedantic, Chris. Most people outside this forum don't have a clue what the difference is between streaming and on demand. As far as public perception is concerned, they are one and the same thing.

I kind of apologise for any confusion I might have created, but I was not addressing the technophobes!

No, I was referring to my assertion that Sky Atlantic was coming to VM. It was true, but not in the timeframe I expected. Sky Atlantic should indeed appear on VM screens either this year or early next.
....And by the way, Chris, my prediction was for 20, not 10 years ahead.

You may be interested in this:

https://www.tvbeurope.com/content/ro...l-broadcasters

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:
There are useful because l use them as l do a lot of recordings to watch in the coming days.
I thought you had a V6, sorry!
Old 19-05-2018, 18:19   #4294
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

https://www.tvbeurope.com/content/ro...l-broadcasters

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

I thought you had a V6, sorry!
l have OB..
Old 19-05-2018, 18:19   #4295
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
So you are trying to record 6 programmes at the same time? I'd be interested to know what they are!!
Old 19-05-2018, 18:28   #4296
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Quote from OLD BOY:

So you are trying to record 6 programmes at the same time? I'd be interested to know what they are!!
I wondered seeing as we are quite happy with a non-recording VboxHD and rarely find any collisions.

Or maybe we're just a bit more picky?
Old 19-05-2018, 18:31   #4297
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
I wondered seeing as we are quite happy with a non-recording VboxHD and rarely find any collisions.

Or maybe we're just a bit more picky?
I think perhaps you are missing a lot!
Old 19-05-2018, 18:49   #4298
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Quite a few l series on different channels , football , horse racing , movies.
Old 19-05-2018, 19:08   #4299
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Quite a few l series on different channels , football , horse racing , movies.
Fair enough, although in your shoes I'd be inclined to watch sport live and bookmark the movies.
Old 19-05-2018, 20:40   #4300
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Surely record ability and on-demand means +1 channels are redundant?
No, they remain quite popular.
http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing-data/w...-summary/?_s=4
Old 19-05-2018, 21:35   #4301
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Fair enough, although in your shoes I'd be inclined to watch sport live and bookmark the movies.

Ideally yes, but not always possible as people have other things to do and there are clashes particularly on a weekend
Old 20-05-2018, 16:13   #4302
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
This news seems to back up my thoughts that streaming is not coming cheap.
On top of normal tv/phone/broadband bundles, I'd agree. But when/if the traditional pay tv bundle collapses, then it may get cheaper or not, if streaming prices keep rising.

---------- Post added at 16:13 ---------- Previous post was at 15:45 ----------

Quote:

https://www.tvbeurope.com/content/ro...l-broadcasters[COLOR="Silver"]
I think you're still right. Linear will largely die off.

In effect, my viewing has been almost all on-demand since 2004 when ntl upped their broadband speeds.
Old 20-05-2018, 16:18   #4303
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post
On top of normal tv/phone/broadband bundles, I'd agree. But when/if the traditional pay tv bundle collapses, then it may get cheaper or not, if streaming prices keep rising.
That's the thing. When only the on demand/streaming services are left (or everything you can get on the pay tv channels is replicated there), paying only for the streaming/on demand services will make perfect sense and this would be cheaper than the existing satellite and cable tv bundles.

Sky have already embraced this with the changes they are bringing in soon and I am sure that VM have advanced plans, since they've been promoting on demand for years. They need to get many more VM Exclusives and plenty more besides in HBO-type deals to make it worthwhile to continue to subscribe to cable services. This, and ensuring that the STBs become known as good value streamers, is the key to ensuring the survival of cable tv.
Old 20-05-2018, 16:44   #4304
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
That's the thing. When only the on demand/streaming services are left (or everything you can get on the pay tv channels is replicated there), paying only for the streaming/on demand services will make perfect sense and this would be cheaper than the existing satellite and cable tv bundles.

Sky have already embraced this with the changes they are bringing in soon and I am sure that VM have advanced plans, since they've been promoting on demand for years. They need to get many more VM Exclusives and plenty more besides in HBO-type deals to make it worthwhile to continue to subscribe to cable services. This, and ensuring that the STBs become known as good value streamers, is the key to ensuring the survival of cable tv.
Streaming will only be cheaper than linear if there are only A small number of streamers.

If the rights to different sports are spread over a larger number of streamers all wanting there £15-25 pm it is going to be more expensive for me
Old 20-05-2018, 18:32   #4305
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Streaming will only be cheaper than linear if there are only A small number of streamers.

If the rights to different sports are spread over a larger number of streamers all wanting there £15-25 pm it is going to be more expensive for me
Sport is rather a different proposition, I'll grant you that. However, it is likely that you will be able to pick and choose which sports you want to watch, rather than paying for a lot of sport that doesn't interest you.

I think maybe there will be a lot more choice of sports events televised than as at present, which could give the impression that you are getting less value for money whereas you may be making choices that lead you to watch more of your preferred sports than you are able to do now.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out.
Closed Thread