Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2016, 10:22   #2851
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Some on here seem to think streaming services will dominate our viewing in the years to come but as we all know that's just a load of baloney as streaming will have its place in our entertainment world but it will never replace normal linear TV viewing which will always have the ability to generate large audiences for major single events as that's something streaming services can never do.
Old 19-07-2016, 11:32   #2852
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Netflix price rises prompt subscribers to turn off as their international losses mount....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36831819
Most of those who stopped subscribing stopped because Netflix blocked vpns and smart dns, more cancellations are coming one feels if Netflix doesn't listen to it's customers.
Old 19-07-2016, 11:36   #2853
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Some on here seem to think streaming services will dominate our viewing in the years to come but as we all know that's just a load of baloney as streaming will have its place in our entertainment world but it will never replace normal linear TV viewing which will always have the ability to generate large audiences for major single events as that's something streaming services can never do.
I think the scene will look rather different in the years to come, Den. The big change will come when the BBC licence fee is scrapped in favour of a subscription. That's when those who can't afford a Netflix subscription will at last have a genuine choice about which services to purchase.

When that happens (and that is likely to be at least a decade away), the likes of Netflix will indeed be able to deliver big audiences.
Old 19-07-2016, 11:57   #2854
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Most of those who stopped subscribing stopped because Netflix blocked vpns and smart dns, more cancellations are coming one feels if Netflix doesn't listen to it's customers.
I'm not sure that subscribers reduced for the reasons you state, I think Netflix is correct that it's lost subscribers as it's upped its prices. In the US, Netflix is highly successful as there are weak public FTA channels. Outside the US, it's a far more competitive market.
In what respect does Netflix not listen to its customers? It is trying to acquire content on a global basis but it won't get any content suppliers to sign deals with it if it doesn't abide by regional rights.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think the scene will look rather different in the years to come, Den. The big change will come when the BBC licence fee is scrapped in favour of a subscription. That's when those who can't afford a Netflix subscription will at last have a genuine choice about which services to purchase.

When that happens (and that is likely to be at least a decade away), the likes of Netflix will indeed be able to deliver big audiences.
That's an interesting hypothesis, and I don't mean it sarcastically.
Old 19-07-2016, 12:35   #2855
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I'm not sure that subscribers reduced for the reasons you state, I think Netflix is correct that it's lost subscribers as it's upped its prices. In the US, Netflix is highly successful as there are weak public FTA channels. Outside the US, it's a far more competitive market.
In what respect does Netflix not listen to its customers? It is trying to acquire content on a global basis but it won't get any content suppliers to sign deals with it if it doesn't abide by regional rights.

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

That's an interesting hypothesis, and I don't mean it sarcastically.
Blocking vpns for a start Netflix customers asked them not to do this as many use vpns for privacy reasons but Netflix still went ahead anyway and blocked vpns, smart dns you can understand as it's obvious what they are mostly used for but vpns no need to block them many myself included use them for privacy reasons, i don't want the goverment (for example) seeing what i do online or tracking me (no nothing naughty lol) so i use a vpn to give me privacy, Netflix should understand this and maybe say "ok use your vpn but only for the region you subscribed to netflix in, if you use other regions you won't gain access" complex i kjnow but doable.
To add i'm quite happy with uk netflix there is some superb original content on it i think globaly too shows such as stranger things, orange is the new black, daredevil and slowly they do seem to be getting more and more new movies. I just rather Netflix allowed me to use my vpn for my privacy, vpns can also protect users too against things such as hackers, no i'm not being paranoid it does happen.

Last edited by theone2k10; 19-07-2016 at 12:40.
Old 19-07-2016, 13:40   #2856
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The big change will come when the BBC licence fee is scrapped in favour of a subscription. .
Wasn't/isn't going to happen anyway. Good to see the anti-BBC John Whittingdalehas been sacked.
Old 19-07-2016, 15:35   #2857
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Blocking vpns for a start Netflix customers asked them not to do this as many use vpns for privacy reasons but Netflix still went ahead anyway and blocked vpns, smart dns you can understand as it's obvious what they are mostly used for but vpns no need to block them many myself included use them for privacy reasons, i don't want the goverment (for example) seeing what i do online or tracking me (no nothing naughty lol) so i use a vpn to give me privacy, Netflix should understand this and maybe say "ok use your vpn but only for the region you subscribed to netflix in, if you use other regions you won't gain access" complex i kjnow but doable.
To add i'm quite happy with uk netflix there is some superb original content on it i think globaly too shows such as stranger things, orange is the new black, daredevil and slowly they do seem to be getting more and more new movies. I just rather Netflix allowed me to use my vpn for my privacy, vpns can also protect users too against things such as hackers, no i'm not being paranoid it does happen.
Presumably it's down to requirements from Netflix's content suppliers, there's no benefit to Netflix to block VPNs. They can listen to their customers but if their suppliers say no or charge a premium for permitting VPNs then Netflix can't do much about it. Once they get bigger then maybe they will be able to set the terms of future contracts.
Old 19-07-2016, 19:14   #2858
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I highly doubt that's the main reason , it's simply not a case of Netflix not listening to its customers its a case of them adhering to the stipulations put in place by the movie/tv studios like all other providers are made to do.
Old 19-07-2016, 23:46   #2859
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Let me throw a scenario at you....

In ten years time Amazon has all the tv/streaming rights to not only the majority of the games of the Premier League but also the Italian, French, German, American NFL, NBA and baseball matches too.

Do you really think if these games are streamed live, that sports fans will not watch these games via Amazon's service?

A tv channel is only a means of watching tv shows, sports, news etc. It's not the sport, drama, news itself only a means to "deliver" it.

What would Netflix's (rather shaky) subscriber numbers look like today if they had global rights to new episodes of Game of Thrones?
Old 20-07-2016, 11:40   #2860
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

In ten years time Amazon has all the tv/streaming rights to not only the majority of the games of the Premier League but also the Italian, French, German, American NFL, NBA and baseball matches too.

Do you really think if these games are streamed live, that sports fans will not watch these games via Amazon's service?

A tv channel is only a means of watching tv shows, sports, news etc. It's not the sport, drama, news itself only a means to "deliver" it.

What would Netflix's (rather shaky) subscriber numbers look like today if they had global rights to new episodes of Game of Thrones?
That's a whole load of what ifs.
Old 20-07-2016, 11:52   #2861
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Yes that's what l thought but alas he is not the first on this forum to come out with a lot of Ifs , buts and maybes as we have a venerable forum member who has a track record of that type of thinking.
Old 20-07-2016, 12:06   #2862
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
You say that but where most people would have watched TV live they now prefer to watch via catch up or record shows to watch later using a DVR.

Linear viewing has already changed for good and streaming services are starting to become the norm.

Live sports streamed over iPlayer for example would still generate large number of viewers. ie red button sports like the Olympics.
Old 20-07-2016, 13:00   #2863
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
You say that but where most people would have watched TV live they now prefer to watch via catch up or record shows to watch later using a DVR.
Huh? 88% of TV viewing is live.

Source: http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/bin...cmr15/UK_2.pdf
Old 20-07-2016, 13:15   #2864
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizon View Post

I think you make some good points there Horizon. In essence, content is king though brands eg BBC, Channel 4 have a lot of pull too.

The current pay-TV sports business models favour Sky Sports and BT Sport but elsewhere different models may surface. In Germany, Perform Group has launched an OTT service called DAZN (which translates as all sports, one platform). It will offer web-video rights of the Bundesliga, other European football, US sports like NBA and NFL, tennis, handball, ice-hockey, darts and other sports live and on-demand for a monthly fee. It will be available via smart TVs, tablets, smartphones, PCs, laptops and games consoles. The service will be offered in HD quality with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound. Selected content will be provided in Ultra HD/4K.
http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2016/...ce-in-germany/

---------- Post added at 13:15 ---------- Previous post was at 13:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

Good point. I think it's really easy to consider the viewing habits of ourselves and immediate people around us and think that's representative of the country as a whole. The report shows that this is a mistake. I'm surprised by the 88% figure but I guess live sports account for a lot of viewing.
Old 20-07-2016, 13:21   #2865
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post

I be surprised if that figure is sustained. While the current adult demographic are probably more likely to watch linear/live TV the younger generation, the current 5-16 age group will be more at home streaming content.

While my only evidence is anecdotal, in that I've observed that my kids all prefer using netflix/now TV as opposed to switching on Boomerang and watching what is being spat out at the time they are watching and my Niece and Nephew now consume pretty much everything via Netfix/Amazon/Now TV, there's a seems to be a shift in attitude in that generation, a demand to watch lots of episodes of a show when they want not to have to wait a week like i did. I can't even remember the last time I actively watched live tv.

That said the quality, and consistency of that quality, of shows being produced by the the likes of Netflix and Amazon is what is going to have the biggest impact. At the moment the quality is there in spades and quite frankly because of this I think this will be my last year as cable TV pay tv subscriber, certainly not one that pays an excessive amount. Between the 3 big streaming services I think I'm more than covered for entertainment, although I'd probably retain a Tivo box and try and get on a VM tv deal that costs the least to retain the ability to record some shows on the free to air HD channels.
Closed Thread