Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 29-03-2018, 17:19   #646
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
This morning I fixed a cassette I got......

It wouldnt play well,sounded like it got wet or was somehow being wedged in and couldnt freely move.... IT WAS HARD GETTING THIS!! -- I was tired and my eyes were hurting from overtired and I almost gave up..... The tape kept coming off the lead spool (The one on the left if looking @ side 1)

I put it into a different shell and finally got it closed w/o the tape being scrunched in the front!! (This shell has screws also thanfkully (The one I took apart easily came apart with a knife wedged in the front))

I didnt wanna lose it....... Whitesnakes first album - TROUBLE (1978)

Last edited by Dude111; 29-03-2018 at 18:05.
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2018, 22:48   #647
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Great album Dude111.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 10:11   #648
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Last night I fixed one of my 8 track tapes

I just got BARRY MANILOWS first concert (1977) and there was basically NO PAD and when track 4 played,the right channel wasnt there. (I LISTEN IN MONO BUT IT STILL MAKES IT SOUND WIERD MISSING A CHANNEL)

I popped the cartridge open and put a good pad in (Thankfully it wasnt damaged)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 14:32   #649
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Going through the solar lamps and rocks: Most still worked and just needed the batteries charged or changed, some attention with the switch cleaner and to the battery contacts, and the solar cells cleaned up with some Brasso to remove the mistiness on the surface that they develop over time.

Down to 3 rocks that need closer attention, one lamp that wont turn off in the sun and one that does nothing at all.

Two of the rocks above probably need my upgraded solar cells and batteries as they are the older 2 battery types. The remaining one has had the upgrade but needs the chip changing as the leads have rotted through.

The lamps must be well over 10 years old and the plastic (ABS) is getting brittle. They did cost quite a bit at the time but are very bright and much better than the tat turned out today.

Edit: The lamp that did nothing was just flat batteries, cleaned up and working now.

Last edited by heero_yuy; 25-04-2018 at 15:43. Reason: Fixed extra lamp
heero_yuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2018, 19:58   #650
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

I spray my solar lights with silicon which keeps them clean, water proofs, helps stopping brittleness.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 16:17   #651
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Last solar lamp: PCB needed cleaning of crud. Now turns off in the light.

Two remaining solar rocks re-worked with new, more powerful solar cells, revised electronics (single chip and choke) and more powerful batteries. All ready to go out when the sunshine comes back.
Old 27-04-2018, 17:06   #652
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

The timeline.

Thankfully I was able to go back and reset it so that we weren't conquered by giant turtles in the early 1980s.

You're welcome.
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 19:01   #653
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
The timeline.

Thankfully I was able to go back and reset it so that we weren't conquered by giant turtles in the early 1980s.

You're welcome.
Yeh, thanks for that (not!).

In the original timeline, as the leader of the Resistance (TMNT - Terrans Murdering Nefarious Testudines), we had just released a fast-acting virus which dissolved their shells and made them easy to kill, and we had just assassinated their Leadership Council (Lio, Mikiy, Doni, & Raf).

Thirty five years of millions of peoples’ hard work and sacrifice thrown away so you could try out one of your gadgets...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 27-04-2018 at 21:59.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2018, 19:33   #654
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Yeh, thanks for that (not!).

In the original timeline, as the leader of the Resistance (TMNT - Terrans Murdering Nerarious Testudines), we had just released a fast-acting virus which dissolved their shells and made them easy to kill, and we had just assassinated their Leadership Council (Lio, Mikiy, Doni, & Raf).

Thirty five years of millions of peoples’ hard work and sacrifice thrown away so you could try out one of your gadgets...
.. but that virus had a side effect, resulting in all human life mutating to look like Richard Madeley, so I saved the human race twice! (you're welcome, again!)

Anyway, how do you know what happened in a timeline that no longer exists?
Old 27-04-2018, 22:01   #655
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_love_monkey View Post
.. but that virus had a side effect, resulting in all human life mutating to look like Richard Madeley, so I saved the human race twice! (you're welcome, again!)

Anyway, how do you know what happened in a timeline that no longer exists?
It still exists, you just created a branch in the multiverse - anyway, how do you know the future in a timeline you thought you had erased?

btw, don’t speak ill of the Mighty Dick (all praise to Richard, Greatest Magesterial Tyrannosaurus Victorix (GMTV), and the Mother Empress Judy the Infallible).
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 27-04-2018 at 22:08.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 11:12   #656
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Quote:
It still exists, you just created a branch in the multiverse - anyway, how do you know the future in a timeline you thought you had erased?
I'm from the future of that timeline, not the present of that timeline - it was the transformation of 99% of the human race into Mighty Dick that prompted me to travel back to the 80s, reset the time line, then come forward to this point in the time line.
So there's currently 2 of me in this time line, so I'm pretending to be my older brother.

Quote:
btw, don’t speak ill of the Mighty Dick (all praise to Richard, Greatest Magesterial Tyrannosaurus Victorix (GMTV), and the Mother Empress Judy the Infallible).
ermmmmm
Old 28-04-2018, 18:51   #657
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Talking Re: What have you fixed lately?

Ahem.

I didn't fix something so much as solve it, to wit: my sister needed her defunct washing machine taken out of the fitted unit built around it, but she couldn't move it. Thinking (correctly, as it turned out) I might be able to help, I went round to hers.

The washer turned out to be fitting very snugly, but I discovered it could be tilted backwards, so it wasn't secured inside the unit as she'd feared. But even with nonslip gloves I couldn't move it, either. Washers are hard to grip, being smooth and all that, and there was no space at all on either side. Plus the washer's feet seemed to be catching on the stone-tiled floor, so it just would not slide forward. The problem, I surmised, was mechanical advantage - ironically, if I'd been at work I'd have had the ideal tool, i.e. a sack truck...but of course my sister certainly didn't have one of those.

Then it hit me: The Egyptian Solution!

This is a method I once used to move an entire freestanding bookcase (designed and built out of chipboard by yours truly!) without unstacking it first: get something under it to serve as a roller and thus give you mechanical advantage, just as the Egyptians did with those massive blocks they carved to build the pyramids.

In this case, a rolling pin did the job nicely. With that in place I could pull the washer out enough to reach in behind it and pull the beggar out. Simples! Who says history isn't important?

Behold the power of applied physics and human ingenuity!

Last edited by Anonymouse; 28-04-2018 at 18:56.
Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2018, 15:09   #658
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

My Braun 1508 electric razor: It had been getting slower and slower over the last few weeks and also the charging light kept flashing on and off instead of going properly off at the end of charging.

Turns out the NiMh battery was on its last legs. Fitted a replacement. Full speed is restored and the charge light now behaves.
Old 19-05-2018, 20:07   #659
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

The rear wiper arm of my car wouldn't wipe a large portion of the screen. So I drilled out the seized hingepin and replaced it with a nut and bolt. A good dose of copper grease and it works perfectly now. Much cheaper than the £38 Skoda wanted for a replacement.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2018, 16:17   #660
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

One of my solar rocks wasn't doing too well: not bright and not lasting long. I suspected faulty LEDs were preventing the battery from getting a good charge and yes they measured about 800Ω (Should be 100's of KΩ) Two faulty LEDs out of the four. One I'd already done so to be sure I replaced the other three. Fresh battery and is now blindingly bright.