Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 19-05-2018, 19:07   #706
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

The rear wiper arm of my car wouldn't wipe a large portion of the screen. So I drilled out the seized hingepin and replaced it with a nut and bolt. A good dose of copper grease and it works perfectly now. Much cheaper than the 38 Skoda wanted for a replacement.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 25-05-2018, 15:17   #707
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 70M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars

One of my solar rocks wasn't doing too well: not bright and not lasting long. I suspected faulty LEDs were preventing the battery from getting a good charge and yes they measured about 800Ω (Should be 100's of KΩ) Two faulty LEDs out of the four. One I'd already done so to be sure I replaced the other three. Fresh battery and is now blindingly bright.
Old 27-05-2018, 16:16   #708
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My daughter said the vac "squealed then stopped". I took it apart and found a wadge of kitchen paper, a wine cork... and a telescopic radio aerial!
Old 13-06-2018, 15:00   #709
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 70M SHUB thingy in modem mode XL TV VboxHD Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars
heero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny starsheero_yuy has a pair of shiny stars

Water butt that gathers rain from the utility room lean to roof had cracked at the base and was leaking. Probably the result of getting frozen solid in the winter.

I drilled a hole at each end of the crack. Standard proceedure to stop further propogation of a crack. Gouged out the crack with a small burr on my hobby drill. Roughened up the surface with some 60 grit sandpaper and then filled the crack and holes with some P38 car body filler.

Then mixed up a generous helping of P40, that's the one with glass fibres in it, and covered the whole area to at least 3" beyound the damage.

Set nice and quick in the hot sun so hopefully it's fixed for now, ready to get filled up by storm "Hector" tomorrow.

They're not that expensive but a fix with stuff from the cupboard is better and I don't add a plastic butt to the trash overload.

At the same time I got out the stepladder and pushed some of the slates back into place on the roof. Nail fatigue. Rollered on some strips of bituminous flashing to stop them slipping out again. Only needs to hold for a year or two as the whole thing will be demolished soon to make way for a big conservatory that will double up as the utility room at one end.
Old 14-06-2018, 08:16   #710
Mr_love_monkey
Anyone can play guitar

Services: Women for money
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Send a message via Yahoo to Mr_love_monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
One of my solar rocks wasn't doing too well: not bright and not lasting long. I suspected faulty LEDs were preventing the battery from getting a good charge and yes they measured about 800Ω (Should be 100's of KΩ) Two faulty LEDs out of the four. One I'd already done so to be sure I replaced the other three. Fresh battery and is now blindingly bright.
Do you have something like a 'how to' for these kinds of things? - got a load of solar lamp kind of things in the garden that we inherited when we moved house, but very few of them seem to work - if they can be fixed rather than binning.....
Mr_love_monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2018, 09:01   #711
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

I'm an electronics engineer by trade so fixing these things, is for me, relatively easy. I don't know of a guide but there's probably something up on on Youtube.

Most of these modern lamps have a single NiMh battery, a 4 pin chip, a choke (coil), the solar cell, an on/off switch and some LEDs.

Most problems I've seen relate to corrosion of the battery holder/battery contacts or trouble with the on/off switch. A good clean of the first and some switch cleaner on the second or even shorting it out with solder do the job.

The batteries can and do die but replacements are easily sourced. I usually keep a look out for when Lidl do a promotion on rechargables as then they're much cheaper than the branded ones.

Only when they get much older do problems with the LEDs and corrosion of the solar cell connections kick in. By then the plastic parts of the lamp are usually getting faded and brittle.

For testing you can use a standard 1.5v battery instead of the rechargable one.
Old 14-06-2018, 11:20   #712
Taf
cf.mega poster

Replaced a few planks of the garden patio set, repainted, and it's all back in use.

When it fails again. I'll just build another out of treated CLS timber.