Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 16-11-2016, 08:18   #1186
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Can't be far off as the Q hub had an update last month that added it to the main settings so it's not hidden. Only hidden on the actual stb and mini.
It is already on the box, wired connection. However sky are not publicising this. Power line can lead to more complications, wiring etc
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-11-2016, 08:26   #1187
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
It is already on the box, wired connection. However sky are not publicising this. Power line can lead to more complications, wiring etc
I alr3day said I know it's there. I have it enabled. However it is hidden in the engineer setting menu.

It works great for me.
Old 16-11-2016, 10:21   #1188
cj136uk
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media, TiVo/XL TV, XXL Internet, M Phone.
cj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enoughcj136uk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I alr3day said I know it's there. I have it enabled. However it is hidden in the engineer setting menu.

It works great for me.
in the settings menu, which joe public can access, there is a setting for wired connection.

I was told this also affects the power line.

The power line part I have found flaky.
cj136uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 11:24   #1189
trickytree
cf.addict

Services: VVIP500
trickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about themtrickytree has a spectacular aura about them

Just checked and I have the new software.
Will be interesting to see if in a week or 2 we don't see the usual slowness creep back in as a reboot helps things along for a day or 2 anyway better software or not.
trickytree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 11:39   #1190
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj136uk View Post
in the settings menu, which joe public can access, there is a setting for wired connection.

I was told this also affects the power line.

The power line part I have found flaky.
that is just Ethernet. Power line is different to that.
Old 16-11-2016, 20:05   #1191
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

There's been mixed reports as to whether the new software has helped to speed up the TiVo.

Some have reported an improvement, others not. Some reported an initial improvement, with a deterioration afterwards.

I think that the fact that software updates usually force the box to reboot will have had a bearing on any reports of improvement.

Only time will tell, my own TiVo was fine for the first month or so.

I genuinely do hope that it will speed up the boxes, but if the box cannot cope with what it's expected to do, I can't see how any amount of software would help, but maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong.

My old box is being collected tomorrow (had a courtesy call earlier today), could those with old boxes who have received the latest software update keep the thread informed as to how things progress over time?

I'm also a little confused, I was told that VM were going to release 10,000 boxes before the end of 2016 (this represents about half percent of TiVo customers).

Apparently, however, 10,000 boxes have already been released. Where does this leave people who want one from 1 December onwards??

Does anybody know if this will effectively mean that they will have to wait until at least Jan 2017?
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 21:49   #1192
Paddy63
Inactive

Services: Tivo 1tb, V+, 100meg
Paddy63 is an unknown quantity at this point

The 10,000 boxes were only for the technical trial. I'm assuming if all goes well then they will roll out the full scale install across the country.
Paddy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 11:59   #1193
Ddonald2016
cf.geek

Ddonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enoughDdonald2016 will become famous soon enough

Imagine on Nov 30th they tell us about the V6 and then go first of all winter we allocate to new customers to stamp out the bugs for our existing customers then spring will see a big roll out
Ddonald2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:57   #1194
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddonald2016 View Post
Imagine on Nov 30th they tell us about the V6 and then go first of all winter we allocate to new customers to stamp out the bugs for our existing customers then spring will see a big roll out
There is no reason to think that. However, early adopters may face a premium charge.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:22   #1195
smileybum
Inactive

smileybum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys, I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet (lots of pages to read through!) I have just been chatting to VM as a new customer - with the standard bundles that come with the 2 tivo boxes... when the v6 is formally launched i will be able to upgrade both boxes to V6 boxes free of charge!
smileybum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:25   #1196
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

There has been no V6 pricing officially announced, so I don't know why you were told that, and I doubt very much that'll be the case anyway.

Whether you're a new customer or an existing one I would think they'll be a premium for V6 over the current TiVo box for a period of time - just as there was for the current TiVo over the V+ HD.

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-11-2016 at 13:48.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:32   #1197
smileybum
Inactive

Ben,

I can send the chat conversation i had with the VM staff member if you'd like?
She may well be mistaken, but i asked twice and was told twice that they were a free upgrade once available.
Old 17-11-2016, 13:34   #1198
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
There has been no V6 pricing officially announced, so I don't know why you were told that, and I doubt very much that'll be the case anyway.

Whether your a new customer or an existing one I would think they'll be a premium for V6 over the current TiVo box for a period of time - just as there was for the current TiVo over the V+ HD.
That makes sense, as it will regulate demand initially. Otherwise, VM would be inundated with requests, no doubt.

Hopefully, they will refund that money when the premium is taken off as things settle down. I seem to recollect they did this with the original Tivo launch.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 13:37   #1199
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post

Whether your a new customer or an existing one I would think they'll be a premium for V6 over the current TiVo box for a period of time - just as there was for the current TiVo over the V+ HD.
It would be nice if loyal customers got the V6 at a discount though.
Old 17-11-2016, 13:47   #1200
smileybum
Inactive

Since having the live chat conversation with VM i have also had an email conversation... with completely different information

"The v6 box launch has been pushed back until 16th December £99.95 and within the bundle that was offered the pricing may have changed as the pricing changes each month so at the moment I wouldn’t be able to offer the v6 if you want to go ahead with the service I can do the offer with 2 tivo500 boxes"