Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 27-03-2018, 10:05   #3361
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Start a 4K Youtube video on the V6 box and it reports it is downloading at around 80-90Mpbs.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-03-2018, 11:54   #3362
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Start a 4K Youtube video on the V6 box and it reports it is downloading at around 80-90Mpbs.
You need nowhere near that speed to stream YouTube in 4K.

To be clear I'm not saying 50mb will do everyone especially in really large families but it will happily stream 4K.

Last edited by muppetman11; 27-03-2018 at 12:02.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 12:18   #3363
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

50mb will stream 4K fine - if nothing else is happening.

But Youtube will take what it can even if it don't need it.

You V6 box will use capacity at random times to update the guide.

50mb is not very much once one person is stream 4K and another starts using Youtube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
You need nowhere near that speed to stream YouTube in 4K.

To be clear I'm not saying 50mb will do everyone especially in really large families but it will happily stream 4K.
ozsat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 12:47   #3364
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I always managed multiple UHD streams when on Infinity 1 and it's 52mb speeds and still had available bandwith for browsing or watching something else online.

I guess it depends on the quality of your connection. I accept though anyone wanting more than that needs a higher tier broadband.

Last edited by muppetman11; 27-03-2018 at 13:05.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 13:12   #3365
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

For me the reason for 100Mb was at the time that was the lowest speed in a TV bundle when the Virgin TV V6 box came out.

It also ensured that you could have more than one V6 box without having to change your broadband choice.

But as the current aim is to swap one V6 box for anyone who doesn't already have one, then 50Mb is fine for that.

I'd think that where people want multiple V6 boxes then they'll likely be on 100Mb or higher anyway.
Old 17-11-2018, 17:53   #3366
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Does anyone know what the update did to the V6 yesterday? was it just bug fixes? haven't noticed anything different
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 18:25   #3367
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Does anyone know what the update did to the V6 yesterday? was it just bug fixes? haven't noticed anything different
Improved power saving in Eco Low Power mode, and you'll now only be asked for a PIN once when watching a box-set unless a later episode has a higher parental rating. And some bug fixes.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 19:26   #3368
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Improved power saving in Eco Low Power mode, and you'll now only be asked for a PIN once when watching a box-set unless a later episode has a higher parental rating. And some bug fixes.
So I wasn't imagining an update.

You know when you are in fast forward and you press to advance to the white notches? Well in last year or so it hasn't worked as well as it used to on Tivo and then V6 when in catch-up and On-demand. But maybe it was my imagination but yesterday when I tried it it seemed to work properly again. Is this one of the fixes?
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2018, 19:40   #3369
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
You know when you are in fast forward and you press to advance to the white notches? Well in last year or so it hasn't worked as well as it used to on Tivo and then V6 when in catch-up and On-demand. But maybe it was my imagination but yesterday when I tried it it seemed to work properly again. Is this one of the fixes?
I don't think that's fixed. If I remember right, it works OK for the ticks near the start, but not for those near the end.
Old 17-11-2018, 19:51   #3370
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
I don't think that's fixed. If I remember right, it works OK for the ticks near the start, but not for those near the end.
I use that quite a lot but haven't noticed this problem. Maybe I'd better not talk too soon!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 09:53   #3371
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I use that quite a lot but haven't noticed this problem. Maybe I'd better not talk too soon!
Seems it must have been a freak occurrence when it seemed to work correctly. Tried it on another episode of the same show last night on On-demand and it crashed the progress bar so I had to resume normal speed and try again much slower.

Now I have to see if the other annoyance has been fixed. Namely when you finish a recorded show and it says Delete or Keep. In recent months when you press Delete it goes back to the show information page like you had pressed Keep, though if you subsequently press left to exit this screen back to My Shows it has in fact deleted as it was supposed to. It used to go straight back to My Shows when you pressed delete at the end of watching a show.

I find this much more annoying than the weird UI design with regard watching some On-demand where you basically end up selecting Watch twice on two slightly different screens before it plays. But if this also got fixed that would be excellent.
cheekyangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2018, 16:51   #3372
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Thanks

Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2018, 10:48   #3373
1701-e
EU citizen proud of it!

Services: TV 360 Maxit TV, Gig1 bb & a landline.....
1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one1701-e is the helpful one

Press red on BBC and the screen goes black with the BBC loading message rather than transparent. Only started this in the last few days. Connected to the s/w upgrade?
Old 19-11-2018, 11:14   #3374
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1701-e View Post
Connected to the s/w upgrade?
I doubt it. More likely to be a change by the BBC.

Note that the roll-out is about halfway through, so lots of boxes still have the old software. (old=20.7.6.., new=20.8.1...)
Old 19-11-2018, 11:25   #3375
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Just got sent a email from Virgin offering a free Powerline kit.

It goes fill in the online form and we’ll pop your kit in the post asap.

Is there a catch?.