Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 08-12-2016, 10:55   #2086
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterQ View Post
Agreed, same old Tivo version with the same old bugs. In a cut down box without scart and no other alternative for multi-room viewing without getting a second one and having to connect with both coax AND ethernet. Can't see the point in having a 2nd Tivo sitting there doing nothing all day long but making a noise in the bedroom and wasting electricity or managing recording schedules over two devices and with twice as many devices to go wrong. I see there are complaints about lower volume too, on some channels with Dolby digital. I already have to have my amplifier on MAX to enjoy the sound on certain channels and that's with hundreds of watts of audio that is on less than a quarter on other sources. (Mind you, the lip-sync issues, which got worse for me in the latest update, make HD useless on the old box, for me)

And they want you to pay for it too, despite retention's promising me one for nothing when they convinced me to change my mind about leaving, last time. I just hope there is the usual February price rise, so I can leave at the earliest opportunity.

The standard of service from VM as far as I am concerned has just gone down and down over the past 5 years with all the bugs (slowness, dolby, lip-sync etc) and all the constant local faults. I wonder if there are actually any managers running the show anymore. It seems the staff can get away with telling you anything without comeback and telling you they have logged complaints that go nowhere. It's clearly not for me!!

The picture quality for me too has dropped recently, many channels now just look very blurry and washed out. There is no pixellation (other than the normal compression affects) so it cannot be a signal problem, yet from other sources ,I do not get this problem. Certainly no point getting an even bigger tv to watch on Virgin Media, in my opinion, if most of the channels already look so bad.

Game-changer? Yes, end of the road, switch to Sky,
It doesn't need to be connected by ethernet it just needs an internet connection.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2016, 10:55   #2087
Gavin-D
cf.mega poster

Gavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these partsGavin-D is just so famous around these parts

Four minutes of Sir David Attenborough’s acclaimed natural history series Planet Earth II is now available to stream in Ultra HD (4K) via the BBC iPlayer

*Due to the nature of the trial using cutting-edge technology, the test footage will only be available on a small selection of the latest TVs. A full list of compatible TVs will be published later today*

http://www.seenit.co.uk/bbc-iplayer-...e-in-ultra-hd/
Gavin-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:02   #2088
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
It doesn't need to be connected by ethernet it just needs an internet connection.
Yes, I accept that. However the staff seem to be insisting on it as the preferred means, as so many seemed to have problems with wi-fi during testing (says a lot about their wifi routers maybe!) and trying power line sockets seems another unnecessary waste, in comparison to my current situation.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:07   #2089
Jedi 123
Inactive

Jedi 123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think the decision to charge £49.99 for the v6 after years of having to put up with constant price increases and the slow old TiVo is a bit of a joke , also I bet this also renews your contract . For me the decision to look else where for my tv and broadband has kind of got easier ,after years of being with VM on the top package will come to an end when my contract runs out as much as it pains me the lure of sky q and there brilliant offers at the moment not to mention sport and movies in 4K will win .
Jedi 123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:13   #2090
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi 123 View Post
I think the decision to charge £49.99 for the v6 after years of having to put up with constant price increases and the slow old TiVo is a bit of a joke , also I bet this also renews your contract . For me the decision to look else where for my tv and broadband has kind of got easier ,after years of being with VM on the top package will come to an end when my contract runs out as much as it pains me the lure of sky q and there brilliant offers at the moment not to mention sport and movies in 4K will win .
I dislike Virgin Media, had troubles in the past in phoning them and them not really knowing about their products among other things. I think it's a bit unfair to criticise them for charging for a new box though.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:16   #2091
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi 123 View Post
I didn't have to renew my contract. I did ask, but was told the contract would stay the same.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:21   #2092
fenman35
cf.member

fenman35 is on a distinguished roadfenman35 is on a distinguished road

The Sky Q is still a 'work in progress' with many bugs and foibles. True it has UHD on sports channels but this is via an app and you cant rewind a live match to check incidents that occur. I have read that UHD is also not 'full fat' UHD but described as UHD light but i am not able to understand the technical points raised
fenman35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:25   #2093
MisterQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mythica View Post
I dislike Virgin Media, had troubles in the past in phoning them and them not really knowing about their products among other things. I think it's a bit unfair to criticise them for charging for a new box though.
Fair enough. Some of us think it unfair that they updated all of the old boxes, making them massively slower and then released a faster box with the same software and charge people for it. Even with the latest "fix" it is still far slower than it used to be just a few months ago.
Old 08-12-2016, 11:26   #2094
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
At the moment it's basically just a faster tivo. It will also let you watch Netflix in 4K in the unlikely event you have a 4K TV but no method of watching it already. It's more a box for future content than for anything right now, hence why i'm not rushing out to pay £99+£15 to get one.

I have a 4K UHD TV, so would it be worth my while getting the V6 box?
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34   #2095
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
The Sky Q is still a 'work in progress' with many bugs and foibles. True it has UHD on sports channels but this is via an app and you cant rewind a live match to check incidents that occur. I have read that UHD is also not 'full fat' UHD but described as UHD light but i am not able to understand the technical points raised
I'm pretty sure I've rewound when watching UHD as for bugs are you suggesting the V6 won't have any ?

Sky's UHD currently doesn't include HDR but that said neither does BT's.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34   #2096
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenman35 View Post
Who rewinds live matches?? that's so 5years ago lol

That's what replays are for?
Old 08-12-2016, 11:44   #2097
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I have a 4K UHD TV, so would it be worth my while getting the V6 box?
If you need the extra tuners it provides or just want a faster box than you have just now then sure. It's not going to offer you anything in the way of 4K that you don't already have though as your TV will have Netflix built in anyway.

Will it be nice to have? Of course. The question is whether it's worth £65, or in my case as i'm not on a top tier package £115. Personally i don't think so and will be waiting until i can get it free when they do the bi-yearly subscription fee raise in a few months.
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:57   #2098
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabaal View Post
If you need the extra tuners it provides or just want a faster box than you have just now then sure. It's not going to offer you anything in the way of 4K that you don't already have though as your TV will have Netflix built in anyway.

Will it be nice to have? Of course. The question is whether it's worth £65, or in my case as i'm not on a top tier package £115. Personally i don't think so and will be waiting until i can get it free when they do the bi-yearly subscription fee raise in a few months.
I agree mate. The V6 is for the future. It has some nice features that will help now, but if cost is a factor then definitely worth waiting.

Of course if you don't yet have a 4k UHD TV, then 4K you tube and Netflix won't be used anyway.

I'm not sure if the current Tivo comes with an installation charge, but for the same monthly Tivo price, £65 for me wasn't too bad.
Old 08-12-2016, 12:29   #2099
RB2004
Inactive

Services: Services: 200 Mbit Gamer on Hub 3, 3x Arris V6 Boxes, CISCO V HD, VIP Package
RB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation eraRB2004 has entered a golden reputation era

I assume its called V6 because of the 6 tuners?

whens the V8, and V12 coming out lol? everyone knows a V12 Is better than a V6.
RB2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:33   #2100
Kabaal
Haggis Hunting

Kabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of QuadsKabaal has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB2004 View Post
I assume its called V6 because of the 6 tuners?

whens the V8, and V12 coming out lol? everyone knows a V12 Is better than a V6.
But a V8 sounds better
Kabaal is offline   Reply With Quote