Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

[Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Old 29-08-2015, 14:02   #1306
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
Re: [Update] Windows 10 Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
LastPass is awesome, i have been using it years, shame it isn't free on mobile devices though.
The free version is available for mobiles and tablets.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-08-2015, 14:29   #1307
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Has anyone here done a fresh install of windows 10 and if so did they have any activation issues that are being reported?
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 17:24   #1308
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
The free version is available for mobiles and tablets.
Interesting, last time I installed it they wanted money so will have to check it out again.

Edit

It wants money to sync with desktop...... Deleted.
Old 29-08-2015, 18:26   #1309
iadom
Oh Lanky Lanky.

Services: 2 V6 running 360. 500mb BB, Phone line, mobile simm.
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star
iadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny stariadom has a nice shiny star

My AV, Trend Micro Titanium has a password manager feature which works fairly well but sometimes asks me for it's master password which defeats the object IMHO.
iadom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 19:57   #1310
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
Has anyone here done a fresh install of windows 10 and if so did they have any activation issues that are being reported?
clean installed with no problems at all here
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 14:04   #1311
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by gba93 View Post
Hope all goes well
It didn't.

It turns out that the processor, although it is powerful enough, doesn't support NX! Windows 8 and 10 require this. (Intel Pentium 4 540) I have found a single core processor that will fit my board and has NX support. (Intel Pentium 4 524) £6.80 eBay. I'll give this a try when it arrives.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2015, 22:35   #1312
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Well i managed to update my slowwww Dell 1520 Inspiron Laptop to Windows 10 from a dodgy Windows 8.1 install, MS sure make it easy to turn a dodgy install into a legit one!
Old 31-08-2015, 22:42   #1313
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star

Apple is awaiting otherwise.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 00:18   #1314
Matth
Inactive

Services: BB:M, TV:XL, Phone:M, Loyalty
Matth has reached the bronze age
Matth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze ageMatth has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
It didn't.

It turns out that the processor, although it is powerful enough, doesn't support NX! Windows 8 and 10 require this. (Intel Pentium 4 540) I have found a single core processor that will fit my board and has NX support. (Intel Pentium 4 524) £6.80 eBay. I'll give this a try when it arrives.
Is it too old a board for a Core 2? Or a Pentium D?

My old 915 chipset board was P4 only - No dual cores, not even the Pentium D ... The 540 and similar may logically appear as if dual, but it's a single core with hyperthreading.

With a 945 chipset, you're generally up to Pentium D dual core - and with an updated VRM, Core 2 Duo but not the higher FSB ones.

PS. Wow the Pentium D seems to come up cheaper than the P4 - probably because of the small window when boards could take a Pentium D Dual but not the vastly superior Core 2 Duo
Matth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 00:40   #1315
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Quote:
Well i managed to update my slowwww Dell 1520 Inspiron Laptop to Windows 10 from a dodgy Windows 8.1 install, MS sure make it easy to turn a dodgy install into a legit one!
Think I will put a cheap SSD in this thing as it looks like the HDD is a huge bottle neck.
Old 01-09-2015, 16:14   #1316
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:
Think I will put a cheap SSD in this thing as it looks like the HDD is a huge bottle neck.
HDDs are pretty much the biggest bottleneck in any computer that still has one.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 22:16   #1317
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
clean installed with no problems at all here
When u did the install did u use ur old key or new one issued by Microsoft.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 22:57   #1318
Dave42
cf.mega poster

Services: V.I.P 120 tivo and v+
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze
Dave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronzeDave42 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanbjames View Post
When u did the install did u use ur old key or new one issued by Microsoft.
if you upgraded first and activated you don't need a key to clean install can skip that and it activate from your hardware id
Dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:12   #1319
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

This may not be a Windows 10 thing, but I have just upgraded Google Chrome(32bit) and now I cant even open it without it crashing, has anyone else tried yet?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:31   #1320
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l upgraded Google Chrome and never had a problem SnoopZ.