Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 02-11-2013, 23:02   #61
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig
Re: What have you fixed lately?

two xbox controllers and a Dell tower running XP ( i had forgotten the joys of the reinstall screens )
rogerdraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 04-11-2013, 20:39   #62
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Fixed the draught-proofing on the openers/vents on 3 of our 5 Velux roof windows. The original 2" wide foam strips stuck on the underside of the wooden openers had perished over the years and took a bit of effort to remove but I managed to replace it with some foil backed thermal insulation and draught excluder to seal and gaps. Made a nice neat job of it even if I say so myself.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 13:15   #63
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Well I hope I've just fixed our faulty alarm system.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35646450-post1.html

Today I thought I'd give it a go so decided to inspect the internal battery. However, as soon as I touched the control panel to unscrew the 4 top cover retaining screws, the tamper went off which shouldn't have happened and was as loud as it was unnerving. After removing the cover, I soon found the tamper switch and could see that one of the 2 small plastic prongs which holds it in place was missing thereby allowing it to rotate. After a lot of looking and some trial and error, I also discovered the black wire from the switch to the circuit board was loose and fell out as soon as I touched it. After reconnecting the wire, I managed to secure the tamper switch into the closed position (as an interim measure) with a cable tie thereby curing the permanent tamper fault and alarm which was doing my head in. I then set about replacing the battery. Sure enough the positive terminal was corroded and stuck in place but after prising it off I was able to clean up the connection and fit the new battery without any problems. I screwed the control panel cover back on and successfully armed/disarmed the system a few times. I'll allow 24 hours for the new battery to charge and then try turning off the mains power supply to see if backup power has been restored. Fingers crossed!....
Old 19-11-2013, 14:34   #64
Osem
Inactive

Not sure if you're describing the same thing but one trick I've used before when I'm trying to remove a security screw is to find a slightly smaller bit which fits inside the head of the screw and then wedge something else in between the bit and the inside edges of the head so that when the bit turns the screw head will. I have some heat activated plastic which does the trick nicely, just press some around the loose bit, let it go hard then turn away.
Old 19-11-2013, 15:25   #65
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Yes, there's often a way to wedge something in if you don't have the exact bit to hand. There's always a drill for the worst ones and a mole wrench for the stump once apart.
Yes, I've also been known to saw a slot in the top of a damaged screw but that's obviously not easy in confined spaces. I've got a set of superwrenches which make easy work of removing broken studs, rounded off nuts and the like plus one of those sonic multi-tools which are great for cutting, sanding and grinding in tight places where there's little room to move and/or you don't want to damage anything else or create loads of dust.

Highly recommended and pay for themselves in just a couple of jobs.

http://www.idealworld.tv/4+Piece+Sup...et-710551.aspx

Bought my set at £19.99 and I'm sure the price will come down again.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CEL-Multi2PR...ords=cel+tools

Got mine with a couple of sets of the attachments which really are very good quality.
Old 19-11-2013, 15:37   #66
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

An old pc that was blue screening, even in safe mode. So I booted from cd using mini xp, then used the chkdsk command which found and fixed a couple of corrupted system files, problem solved.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 15:39   #67
Doug P
Inactive

Services: Virgin Cable TV (Tivo) and Freeview
Doug P has reached the bronze age
Doug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze ageDoug P has reached the bronze age

I have fixed myself a cup of tea... sorry if this old gag has been used before....
Doug P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 17:32   #68
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
An old pc that was blue screening, even in safe mode. So I booted from cd using mini xp, then used the chkdsk command which found and fixed a couple of corrupted system files, problem solved.
Like that. Usable PC saved.
Old 19-11-2013, 17:51   #69
martin201002
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD sports and movies HD, sky fibre pro, ps4 and xbox one.
martin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of lightmartin201002 is a glorious beacon of light

A outside Christmas light, I was installing it and accidentally twated it with a hammer and knackered it, fixed now though.
martin201002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 09:14   #70
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin201002 View Post
A outside Christmas light, I was installing it and accidentally twated it with a hammer and knackered it, fixed now though.
lol !

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2013, 17:01   #71
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Well I hope I've just fixed our faulty alarm system.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35646450-post1.html

Today I thought I'd give it a go so decided to inspect the internal battery. However, as soon as I touched the control panel to unscrew the 4 top cover retaining screws, the tamper went off which shouldn't have happened and was as loud as it was unnerving. After removing the cover, I soon found the tamper switch and could see that one of the 2 small plastic prongs which holds it in place was missing thereby allowing it to rotate. After a lot of looking and some trial and error, I also discovered the black wire from the switch to the circuit board was loose and fell out as soon as I touched it. After reconnecting the wire, I managed to secure the tamper switch into the closed position (as an interim measure) with a cable tie thereby curing the permanent tamper fault and alarm which was doing my head in. I then set about replacing the battery. Sure enough the positive terminal was corroded and stuck in place but after prising it off I was able to clean up the connection and fit the new battery without any problems. I screwed the control panel cover back on and successfully armed/disarmed the system a few times. I'll allow 24 hours for the new battery to charge and then try turning off the mains power supply to see if backup power has been restored. Fingers crossed!....
Just tested the system by disconnecting the mains supply and the battery backup appears to be working properly so I claim an official 'fix'. Phew!
Old 23-11-2013, 20:01   #72
CycoSymz
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview HD
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal
CycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appealCycoSymz has a bronzed appeal

I fixed my old 22" widescreen monitor that wouldn't wake up from sleep mode

Just had to swap a couple of bulging capacitors on the power supply. Wish I'd done that befoer buying a new 27" monitor though.

I've got 2 GCSE's. 1 in Biology and 1 in Metalwork...If you want your cat welding then I'm your man.
CycoSymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2013, 21:31   #73
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Cupboard door Euro-hinge in the kitchen's been clunking badly when opening. It's the built in self closer that's failed. Fortunately when I put the kitchen in there were a few extra ones that weren't needed so a 5 minute job to fit a replacement. The bit on the carcase stays.

Voila! No clunks.
Thanks for that mate! One of mine's been doing the same thing and you just reminded me that I have some spares left over from our kitchen installation somewhere. I'll view this as total vindication of my 'never throw anything away' policy towards DIY stuff.
Old 25-11-2013, 14:41   #74
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

It's called a 'man drawer*'

*Michael McIntyre
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 23:09   #75
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
It's called a 'man drawer*'

*Michael McIntyre
In my case it's called a double garage...