Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | 5G from May 30th UK

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other Telco Services Discussion

5G from May 30th UK

Old 22-05-2019, 12:03   #1
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all
5G from May 30th UK

First to launch = EE. If you are in a major city and have a 5G phone of course, otherwise... a long wait.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48363462
JPAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 22-05-2019, 12:22   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: 5G from May 30th UK

From the article
Quote:
Prices for 5G - which will require new handsets - will start at £54 per month for 10 gigabytes of data.
This is why 5G will not replace WiFi or home broadband for a lot of people. £54 for 10 Gig. Windows itself can use a couple of gig a month for updates. Add a few apps, and that can be a couple more gig (although in fairness, unless you are using huge media suites such as the Adobe CC suite, the updates are quite small). Add in streaming, with TV increasingly being online, and even a couple of hours viewing can be a couple of gig.

If you are a gamer, 10 gig is nothing. Even a small game nowadays is likely to be several gig, and if you like AAA titles (such as the Rockstar games, Call of Duty, Hitman etc) as I do, each game can be up to 80 gig.

Last edited by Stuart; 22-05-2019 at 12:36.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 18:45   #3
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

That’s a price for early adopters. Such people have more money than sense and are prepared to pay because they enjoy having the latest gear. It is also a price from the sole supplier. No competition, no competitive prices.

All that will change, once the handsets become ubiquitous and there is competition for customers. It’s still never going to be as cheap as wired home Wi-fi but it won’t always be prohibitive.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2019, 23:23   #4
JPAC
cf.addict

JPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to allJPAC is a name known to all

Wonder how much 3 will ask for 5G? EE have more plans with higher data allowances, 120Gb for £79/m, but no unlimited plans yet. Still can't work out if the OnePlus 7 Pro is the 5G model. Full 5G capability from 2020. Lots of health concerns about 5G though.

Interesting time for techies.
Old 23-05-2019, 01:06   #5
Stephen
Bah Humbug!!

Services: Sky Q 2Tb, Sky Q mini, boxsets and Sports & Movies HD, Sky Fibre unlimited
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star
Stephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny starStephen has a nice shiny star

I remember the health concerns about mobiles back in the late 90s. Just people worrying about nothing.

I'm waiting a while as there are going to be very few 5G handsets at launch and also the networks will take a while to expand to more coverage.
Old 25-05-2019, 14:40   #6
Tricky Trevor
cf.geek

Services: Gig1,Ultimate Volt,Virgin 360x2, O2 mobile
Tricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of QuadsTricky Trevor has a fine set of Quads

Virgin mobile will no doubt be 2 or 3 years after everyone else as it was with 4G
Old 25-05-2019, 15:05   #7
JPAC
cf.addict

Had a look in the EE shop and they had a OnePlus 7 Pro 5G on display, very nice but very expensive. This time next year, phones should have the X55 modem which will cover most 5G bands at high speed, the coverage should be a lot better as well. The full screen display is clever, no cut outs or holes. Who will be first to offer 5G mobile wi-fi devices?
Old 25-05-2019, 22:44   #8
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Some of us are still using 3g, seems good enough for most things to me.
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2019, 18:46   #9
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

My work was a nightmare with a mobile signal. In one location on my desk I could get a "H+", move it .000000005mm and I got no signal.

Last year there was talk of a mast being put on our works roof.

In the end a mast was put near by and I get a very strong 4G signal as is every one else.
Old 27-05-2019, 22:26   #10
JPAC
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Some of us are still using 3g, seems good enough for most things to me.
Thing is, 3G is being phased out and the frequency bands that use 3G and 2G are being used for other bands, that's called refarming. Gradually of course, existing mobile phones have a limited working life.
Old 27-05-2019, 23:02   #11
JMcB
cf.geek

Services: 2x 306Tivo Full TV with Movies & Sport 1000Mb BB Land Line Mobile Phone x2 (Sim Only)
JMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant futureJMcB has a brilliant future
Send a message via MSN to JMcB

Any word form Virgin about 5G
JMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 07:57   #12
JPAC
cf.addict

Today's the day, 5G starts. Anyone tried it yet? Interesting article here.

* "expect "network slicing" to become a new buzz-phrase"

And... "Three has said its 5G rollout could be delayed by 18 months if the government bans Huawei's equipment".

& https://5g.co.uk/virgin-mobile/ Unknown so far.
Old 30-05-2019, 12:13   #13
JPAC
cf.addict

BBC's TV Rory Cellan-Jones used up his data allowance already. (Notice right hand shaking) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48458280

Last edited by JPAC; 30-05-2019 at 12:19. Reason: New info
Old 30-05-2019, 13:03   #14
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

With WiFi everywhere now, it's all a bit irrelevant.

---------- Post added at 12:03 ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPAC View Post
BBC's TV Rory Cellan-Jones used up his data allowance already. (Notice right hand shaking) https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48458280
That's what would worry me. My 3g is fast enough on the rare occasions I need it, 5g would just make my payg allowance disappear in minutes. Not prepared to pay more than my yearly £30 in top ups
Mr K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 14:43   #15
JPAC
cf.addict

Limited info so far. 'Three will launch its first 5G network this August in London, before extending it to 25 other UK towns and cities before the end of the year.

After London it plans to launch in: Birmingham, Brighton, Bristol, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Leeds, Liverpool, Manchester, Nottingham, Sheffield and Sunderland before the end of the year.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48582957