Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Old 20-12-2016, 01:10   #2476
dwarfofpoison
cf.addict

dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media V6 - Powered by TiVo(new STB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
Does anyone know the approximate range of the RF remote?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
It's the same as 2.4GHz WiFi
My anecdotal findings are a little different.

0-10 feet = Great signal with the remote working well in any direction.
10-15 = Still decent but a little less responsive.
15-20 = The remote seems to be pushing its limits and behaves much like an IR remote, needs a little pointing!

The RF TiVo remote fails to work behind a closed door 5 feet away where as my RF light switch has no trouble 25 feet away and in the next room.The TiVo RF signal won't even pass through the palm of your hand.

The TiVo IR remote has had a new lease of life though, used with the V6 the IR remote has become a lot more powerful. Only needing a vague line of sight.

I have to add the TiVo RF remote is in my view, the better of the two types and there's no learning curve. Size and feel has a lot to do with it!
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-12-2016, 06:04   #2477
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
So finally you agree with me, these new boxes are going to kill the bandwidth for everyone else.

I seem to recall me being slapped down earlier as being ridiculous because the V6 takes all of it's data feed from the coax and the ip connection was purely for command and control.

Oh dear...2 million V6's x 100 mbps = 2x10^14 bits per second. Yes, I know they aren't all on my segment but they are all going back to the core at some point.

They only use the broadband connection for a return path, I.E watching BBC I player, the exact same as a normal tivo. There will be no change to bandwidth apart from the fact 4k is now an option.

There will be less noise in the network as in the future only the modem will be sending rf back through the network the v6 just receives rf. Moving to v6 is a good thing
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 09:59   #2478
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhReally View Post
Oh dear...2 million V6's x 100 mbps = 2x10^14 bits per second. Yes, I know they aren't all on my segment but they are all going back to the core at some point.
It's not 1xV6 = 1x100Mbps.

It's 1x100Mbit (or higher) for any V6 boxes an account has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
They only use the broadband connection for a return path, I.E watching BBC I player, the exact same as a normal tivo. There will be no change to bandwidth apart from the fact 4k is now an option.
The V6 uses the home network connection for everything that isn't broadcast TV or broadcast VoD. That includes streaming iPlayer, YouTube and Netflix, and all connecting all the other apps.

But then the current TiVos also use a broadband connection for doing those - they just happen to have their own seperate one.

So everytime a new TiVo is set up, a new broadband device is added to the local area - and that definately could be seen as 1x10Mbps per TiVo.
Old 20-12-2016, 10:58   #2479
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

I've just done a test of the V6 remote.
It works from anywhere in my house, even upstairs, diagonally opposite, pointed in any direction.
Of course, I have correctly paired my remote.
RobboEdin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:00   #2480
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwarfofpoison View Post
My anecdotal findings are a little different.

0-10 feet = Great signal with the remote working well in any direction.
10-15 = Still decent but a little less responsive.
15-20 = The remote seems to be pushing its limits and behaves much like an IR remote, needs a little pointing!

The RF TiVo remote fails to work behind a closed door 5 feet away where as my RF light switch has no trouble 25 feet away and in the next room.The TiVo RF signal won't even pass through the palm of your hand.
I suspect your remote is working on IR, not RF. I've just taken a V6 remote down to the other end of the building (about 100 feet and through 4 walls) and it still works fine.

To reset your remote, reboot the V6 and wait until the HOME screen is displayed. Then press and hold TV + Clear until you get a green light on top of the remote.
Press Thumbs Down 3 times, then press OK twice. When you next press a button, the remote will pair with the V6 again.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 11:48   #2481
dwarfofpoison
cf.addict

dwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of lightdwarfofpoison is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
I suspect your remote is working on IR, not RF.
Thanks spiderplant & RobboEdin, yep I'm back my idiot self. You're bsolutely right my remote was working on IR. It's a different animal now! Disregard my last post (anecdotal rubbish).
dwarfofpoison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:08   #2482
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

Mines ordered coming 11th Feb £49.99

Last edited by braysoj1; 20-12-2016 at 15:13.
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:21   #2483
Rob King
cf.addict

Services: Virgin Media Ultimate Package with M600 Broadband , 360 Box owner , Volt Mobile, + Virgin Home Phon
Rob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enoughRob King will become famous soon enough

mines ordered for 5th Jan 2017 but still not updated on My Virgin Media has anyone have the same ?
Rob King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:37   #2484
braysoj1
cf.geek

Services: virgin media xl , freeview, sky
braysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to allbraysoj1 is a name known to all

It will go though on the 5th
braysoj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:43   #2485
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
mines ordered for 5th Jan 2017 but still not updated on My Virgin Media has anyone have the same ?
Mine appeared on "Your Order Tracking" on My Virgin Media before I got the confirmation email.
Ultimate.Conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 15:59   #2486
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by braysoj1 View Post
Mines ordered coming 11th Feb £49.99
Beat you as ours is a day before.
Old 20-12-2016, 16:09   #2487
barbelboy
Inactive

barbelboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody got the new virgin media v6 box. What HIFI now sayin Planet Earth 2 4k HLG clip can be played on any 4k HDR TV via this box.
barbelboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 16:11   #2488
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

HDR isn't yet available on the V6. So you can play the clip but it won't be in HDR.

Although Trusted Reviews seemed to be saying that it's not actually in HDR anywhere yet

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...-content-guide
Old 20-12-2016, 16:15   #2489
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It isn't in HDR yet , it's available on certain Panasonic UHD sets , Virgin V6 and Sky Q however only SDR.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 17:16   #2490
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

Sorry to be a pain but could Ben or Spiderplant give me their opinion whether my pathetic average of 7Mbps down speeds during the worst of my high contention periods, (all evening from 7pm to 1am and most of the weekend) would adversely effect the new Tivo. No other things running on my BB other than my smart phone and laptop.

Oh and I'm not a gamer .... well I may have the odd game of Patience.