Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Want ADSL?-Read on....

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Other ISPs Discussion

Want ADSL?-Read on....

Old 08-09-2004, 19:46   #211
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star
Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadKenny
In regards to porting the number, would I get a number initially from BT, then if the line is installed okay, I tell NTL I want to cancel and tell BT I want to port the number?
What happens is that you ring BT, book the phone line install (probably free as you are reconnecting) and tell them you want to port your number. They take your current number and account number and give you a date (normally 7 working days). That's it, they come when they say they will, they install the line, and if you give it 24 hours you'll be able to enter your current number into the number checker on the site of your chosen ISP and then order it.

Thats how it all worked for me anyway, I'm now with Bulldog, they are great, a plain net connection, no proxies, no caps, no blocked ports, and they tec/cust services answer the phone fairly quickly. They also have a geographical number for their tec support so you don't have to pay 0870 prices.

Everything you could ask for in an ISP.

www.bulldogdsl.com
0870 BULLDOG (285 5364)
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-09-2004, 22:02   #212
DeadKenny
Inactive

Services: PlusNet 2Mbps Premier. BT. Sky Digital. TiVo.
DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellwear
What happens is that you ring BT, book the phone line install (probably free as you are reconnecting) and tell them you want to port your number. They take your current number and account number and give you a date (normally 7 working days).
What about giving NTL notice? i.e. surely if I ring BT now and say I want a new line and the number ported, NTL are going to tell them to get stuffed as far as the number is concerned?

Or does the number get ported and the NTL line converts to some other number until it's cancelled?
DeadKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2004, 22:45   #213
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array
Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
What about giving NTL notice? i.e. surely if I ring BT now and say I want a new line and the number ported, NTL are going to tell them to get stuffed as far as the number is concerned?

Or does the number get ported and the NTL line converts to some other number until it's cancelled?
BT do it all for you (OFCOM rules AFAIK)
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 14:51   #214
DeadKenny
Inactive

DeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enoughDeadKenny will become famous soon enough

Okay, BT line is booked, though they can't do it until 1st October.

Slight problem, they don't believe there's ever been a BT line there, even though there's a BT socket in the house. Hmm, exactly what NTL said when I got hooked up with them :suspect:.

I'm 99% certain the person there before me had BT as when I moved in I got NTL put in (the NTL cable was up to the house but not to my flat), and so there was only a BT socket at the time. It says 'BT' on it and unless the person before had been living there for 9 years without ever having activated it, it must have been BT.

So anyway, they're charging me £75

Porting the number was easy, although they've said I'll never be able to use Call Minder, 1471 or Call Return with a ported number. Still, at least I get get Caller Display and know it'll work with my phone which is more than can be said for NTL.
Old 10-09-2004, 15:10   #215
Neil
Inactive

Neil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze arrayNeil has a bronze array

Quote:
Okay, BT line is booked, though they can't do it until 1st October.
That's only a couple of weeks away.

[QUOTE=DeadKenny]Slight problem, they don't believe there's ever been a BT line there, even though there's a BT socket in the house. Hmm, exactly what NTL said when I got hooked up with them :suspect:.
If there's a BT socket in the house, then BT installed it at some stage.

Quote:
I'm 99% certain the person there before me had BT as when I moved in I got NTL put in (the NTL cable was up to the house but not to my flat), and so there was only a BT socket at the time. It says 'BT' on it and unless the person before had been living there for 9 years without ever having activated it, it must have been BT.

I am certain that you don't have to pay this, & the fact that you have a BT socket in the house supports the fact that it is a reconnection (which is free)

Quote:
Porting the number was easy, although they've said I'll never be able to use Call Minder, 1471 or Call Return with a ported number. Still, at least I get get Caller Display and know it'll work with my phone which is more than can be said for NTL.
Not to mention an upload speed of 256k (which I know you've wanted for a long time. )

[Edit] http://www.bt.com/reconnect/index.js...K&obsOID=83045

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT
To find out if your property has previously had a BT line, look for a white BT phone socket, which you will find on your wall. If you find one, this may give an indication that you can get connected*

*Please note that some properties may have a white BT socket installed e.g. new property development, this will classify as a new connection and free reconnection will not apply.
Your property is not new, & must have had a BT phone line in 9 years ago surely, as ntl (Cabletel) weren't around in your area were they?
Old 10-09-2004, 15:22   #216
DeadKenny
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I am certain that you don't have to pay this, & the fact that you have a BT socket in the house supports the fact that it is a reconnection (which is free)
I note that say "Please note that some properties may have a white BT socket installed e.g. new property development, this will classify as a new connection and free reconnection will not apply"

However, it's not a new property (it's over 100 years old), and has the old overhead BT cable connecting the place.

I'll have to try and argue it when they come to install it. They'll probably turn up and realise it's a wasted journey but if I can get them to confirm (in writing perhaps) that it's definitely a pre-existing install then I should be able to get BT to refund the money.

Quote:
Not to mention an upload speed of 256k (which I know you've wanted for a long time. )
Indeed . No more need for 1Mbps just to get 256kbps upload , so that's a saving of £16 with PlusNet (based on their 512/256 service and 'unlimited' use option. It's even cheaper if I go for a capped service).

Though 2Mbps/256kbps for £39 uncapped is also tempting, though I probably don't need uncapped as I doubt I use that much. Cool thing is I can get 2Mbps capped at 2Gb per month for £19.99 and PAYG for the extra, so I can see how it goes and adjust it.
Old 10-09-2004, 15:42   #217
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
I note that say "Please note that some properties may have a white BT socket installed e.g. new property development, this will classify as a new connection and free reconnection will not apply"

However, it's not a new property (it's over 100 years old), and has the old overhead BT cable connecting the place.

I'll have to try and argue it when they come to install it. They'll probably turn up and realise it's a wasted journey but if I can get them to confirm (in writing perhaps) that it's definitely a pre-existing install then I should be able to get BT to refund the money.

Indeed . No more need for 1Mbps just to get 256kbps upload , so that's a saving of £16 with PlusNet (based on their 512/256 service and 'unlimited' use option. It's even cheaper if I go for a capped service).

Though 2Mbps/256kbps for £39 uncapped is also tempting, though I probably don't need uncapped as I doubt I use that much. Cool thing is I can get 2Mbps capped at 2Gb per month for £19.99 and PAYG for the extra, so I can see how it goes and adjust it.
Welcome to the world of choice my friend, I'm sure you'll enjoy your stay.
Old 10-09-2004, 19:09   #218
Shaun
Inactive

Shaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny starShaun has a nice shiny star

Quote:
This charge probably wont turn up on your bill, it didn't on mine even though they insisted they were going to charge it.

Quote:
I'd take that with a pinch of salt mate, I ported my number and have no problems using the facilities listed above (apart from call minder, we use the free 1571)
Old 10-09-2004, 19:37   #219
DeadKenny
Inactive

Cool. Just have to see how it goes anyway.

As for ADSL. I assume all the line tests can be done prior to me buying the modem? I know PlusNet do modems, but I want to get a plain Ethernet ADSL Modem (not router/modem) as I have my self-built router, but I don't want to go buy the modem if the line tests fail.

i.e. they don't require a modem to be plugged in for the tests?
Old 10-09-2004, 21:22   #220
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome
Smile Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Cool. Just have to see how it goes anyway.

As for ADSL. I assume all the line tests can be done prior to me buying the modem? I know PlusNet do modems, but I want to get a plain Ethernet ADSL Modem (not router/modem) as I have my self-built router, but I don't want to go buy the modem if the line tests fail.
Solution is simple dont buy the Adsl modem until you get the notice that your line is okay to have Adsl.

I run with both Ethernet Router & Ethernet Adsl/Router & the combination is good, i found looking at the various Adsl Ethernet modems on offer (within my price range) didnt offer that much (with regards to internal modem options) & was such a head spin for choosing as i didnt want to waste my hard earned cash on the wrong type of Adsl modem, so i posted on the forum for any suggestions & Neil suggested Netgear as that was his choice & a good one it was.

Quote:
i.e. they don't require a modem to be plugged in for the tests?
No

Reading My Thread will help you
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 17:44   #221
DeadKenny
Inactive

Cheers. These threads with your experiences are very useful

As for the modem, I was looking at this...

D-Link DSL-300T ADSL Ethernet Modem
Old 11-09-2004, 21:36   #222
DrAwesome
Inactive

DrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond reputeDrAwesome has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to DrAwesome Send a message via MSN to DrAwesome
Cool Re: Want ADSL?-Read on....

Quote:
Cheers. These threads with your experiences are very useful

As for the modem, I was looking at this...

D-Link DSL-300T ADSL Ethernet Modem
If your looking to buy the D-Link 300T then its slightly cheaper Here as the postage is FREE if you decide to order it dont forget to use the Cable Forum url link (Check with a mod to see if its still accessible)
DrAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 18:32   #223
Neil
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAwesome
If your looking to buy the D-Link 300T then its slightly cheaper Here as the postage is FREE if you decide to order it dont forget to use the Cable Forum url link (Check with a mod to see if its still accessible)
We now have our very own Amazon Store!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/amazonstore/

Spend all you like there!
Old 12-09-2004, 18:34   #224
Shaun
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
We now have our very own Amazon Store!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/amazonstore/

Spend all you like there!
I love the first result when you click on the cable TV button :

Quote:
Cable Television in Western Europe: A Licence to Print Money?
Maybe someone should tell NTL
Old 21-09-2004, 13:49   #225
Bifta
Inactive

Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star
Bifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny starBifta has a nice shiny star

Just a bit of info. for people wanting to move to ADSL, I swapped to one.tel about a month ago and the service was awful, my router disconnected every couple of hours, the speeds were terrible and the customer service staff were very rude and abrupt, I've since moved to wanadoo (which I was a bit worried about doing) and the actual DSL service is very good, no disconnects yet and pages load a lot faster, admittedly the 1 meg service I'm on has a 30 gig a month cap but I don't think I've ever exceeded that in all the time I've had broadband. It's also very reasonably priced at £27.99 for the 1 meg service.
Bifta is offline   Reply With Quote