Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | PM Boris forms a government

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

PM Boris forms a government
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 07:17   #1756
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Re: PM Boris forms a government

The trouble is most MPs don't want a deal because they want to remain. So the also reject the default no deal.

They also don't want a GE as they know full well we will routed from parliament.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:20   #1757
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
In my humble career, I have been involved in several negotiations, admittedly only worth millions not billions. I am not a negotiator, I am one of the SME’s that you mention. But in each case the whole team has been no bigger 4-5, and that consisted of the negotiator, the SME, the Lawyer and 2no. Money men.

As above, not 10’s of millions no. Just a few million at best.

Best one was a mediation, to avoid a court situation and that involved just 3 of us. SME, Lawyer and Accountant. Settled for a few million. Sorry if that’s not big enough in the trouser dept for you.

like that was part of my point.

For a multi-million pound negotiator- you don’t come across as that switched on - if you don’t mind me saying.
I've negotiated some money off my utility bills, does this count?
Old 04-09-2019, 08:30   #1758
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
A success story of the one man negotiating team, only because you believed in what was possible.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33   #1759
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

From BBC's Nick Robinson:

Quote:
Not long ago @jeremycorbyn faced a crisis trapped between Remainers & Leavers and was shunned by other opposition parties. Now he’s able to stand up for democracy, work with a cross-party alliance & appear statesmanlike. Is that what people mean by No 10’s new strategic genius?
Johnson is making Corbyn look good! Says it all really .. The new Tory Momentum-esque playbook they have stolen from Labour is not working out too well from them so far. At this rate, they will be rebranding themselves as New UKIP

I applaud the 21 Tory MP's who put Country before Party. I thought the age of principles in politics had passed. They went through the due diligence and asked Johnson face-to-face if he had anything to offer as a deal and if he had made any progress in the backstop alternative and they concluded, correctly as Cummins himself confirmed, the whole negotiation line is a sham.

What this does imply is that unless Johnson does the No Deal election pact with the devil (Farage), the Tories will be very vulnerable in seats where Tory voters are more moderately aligned. If you then throw in possible opposition party collaboration then a Tory majority is not assured.

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A success story of the one man negotiating team, only because you believed in what was possible.
Nah, I did it because I am half Scottish ..
Old 04-09-2019, 08:39   #1760
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Absolutely
Old 04-09-2019, 09:07   #1761
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

What this does imply is that unless Johnson does the No Deal election pact with the devil (Farage), the Tories will be very vulnerable in seats where Tory voters are more moderately aligned. If you then throw in possible opposition party collaboration then a Tory majority is not assured.
Nothing is ever sure about any result of a general election , Just ask Winston Churchill who is Britains most popular leader ever who won the war but could not win the hearts and minds of the electorate.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:31   #1762
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
With this though....

I am a Remainer and I wanted May's Deal to pass. It wasn't perfect at all and much of it left me unhappy. It wasn't EEA for example.

But it wasn't No Deal. It gave us a two year period to get something else in place, and we'll eventually have to deal with the EU first anyway, and it gave some degree of confidence to the country. It helps us move on a bit too.

I hope Boris Johnson gets some, even cosmetic, details on the backstop that gets the deal though.
That's right, and it was on the basis that after those two years we would have a trade deal more to our liking that I supported it - until the backstop reared it's ugly head as the 'solution' to a manufactured problem.

I am not too concerned about the opposition getting a law through to ban a no deal because I fully expect Boris to be able to win the election with a comfortable majority. He is a popular politician and will win over a significant number of voters who would not have voted for the last two Tory leaders.

Assuming he does get in with a workable majority and no turncoats in his number, he will be able to withdraw the 'no to no deal' legislation with his new found majority.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:23   #1763
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Scottish court decision.

The prorogation of parliament by the Prime Minister is not a matter for the courts.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:30   #1764
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

It was always going to be appealed either way.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:31   #1765
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Of course it isn’t. It’s a matter for the Queen, on advice from her Prime Minister, whose judgement is itself judged by those who support him in parliament, whose judgement is in turn judged by the electorate.

Not that I expect the self-important lot who brought the action to leave it there. It is going to end up in the Supreme Court no matter what.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:33   #1766
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post

Of course it isn’t. It’s a matter for the Queen, on advice from her Prime Minister, whose judgement is itself judged by those who support him in parliament, whose judgement is in turn judged by the electorate.

Not that I expect the self-important lot who brought the action to leave it there. It is going to end up in the Supreme Court no matter what.
Maybe but the answer will be the same.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:37   #1767
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Maybe but the answer will be the same.
I suspect so. The case was heard by the most senior judge in Scotland, not some jobbing circuit Recorder, anxious to just get it off his desk ASAP.

His judgement is that it is a question for the electorate, and also that the government has not broken any law.
Old 04-09-2019, 14:21   #1768
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array

North Korea will soon announce of new system of full democracy. Voters can vote what ever way they want, but if North Korean leader Kim Jong-un doesn't agree with the result, it is overturned and not allowed. In the US the Democrats seem to also want that system.
Old 04-09-2019, 15:12   #1769
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
North Korea will soon announce of new system of full democracy. Voters can vote what ever way they want, but if North Korean leader Kim Jong-un doesn't agree with the result, it is overturned and not allowed. In the US the Democrats seem to also want that system.
It is quite amazing that we are now virtually a tin pot dictatorship.

And all those dictators that were demanding democracy and an election 5 mins ago, now no longer wish to give one to us.
Old 04-09-2019, 16:27   #1770
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Don't give Cummings any ideas.
Closed Thread