Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Oscar nominations 2022

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Oscar nominations 2022

Old 09-02-2022, 20:40   #16
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Oscar nominations 2022

Going through all films, in all the lists, Ive heard of about 10 of them (inc Dune).

In GMs list, I've heard of just four of them.

The only category remotely close to my kind of films was the Visual Effects.

Quote:
Dune
Free Guy << Dont know this one
Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
No Time to Die
Spider-Man: No Way Home
The Oscars are (to me) a complete waste of time.
They do not represent the majority of film audiences.

This is the the box office top 20 [for 2021].

Quote:
1 Spider-Man: No Way Home
2 Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
3 Venom: Let There Be Carnage
4 Black Widow
5 F9: The Fast Saga
6 Eternals
7 No Time to Die
8 A Quiet Place Part II
9 Ghostbusters: Afterlife
10 Free Guy
11 Jungle Cruise
12 Godzilla vs. Kong
13 Dune
14 Halloween Kills
15 Encanto
16 Cruella
17 Sing 2
18 Space Jam: A New Legacy
19 The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It
20 Candyman
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2021/

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2022, 21:10   #17
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
This is the the box office top 20 [for 2021]]
US box office, not global. The US box office is not a true reflection of a films performance globally because the % share of revenue varies by film and if for example a film grosses $250m in the US but only has a 25% share, it means it is doing $1bn globally and will one of the highest grossing films which isn't reflected in your chart. No Time To Die is a good example of this.

General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:59   #18
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
US box office, not global.
You completely missed the point.

But sure, the oscars are not US biased at all, and people outside the US dont watch the same films.

Old 15-02-2022, 19:18   #19
General Maximus
Ran Away

General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Good news for Paul. For the first time this year they are going to have an award for the fan voted favourite and it can be any film and not one that has already been nominated so keep your fingers crossed for Spiderman and Free Guy etc.

You can vote via Twitter or the Oscars website from now until 3rd March.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...an-1235181361/
Old 16-02-2022, 02:13   #20
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Except .....
You cannot get on the website

Quote:
SORRY!
THIS EXPERIENCE IS NOT AVAILABLE
IN YOUR AREA.

Old 16-02-2022, 09:08   #21
General Maximus
Ran Away

Balls. I haven't had a look at it yet. I hope they get some very strong feedback over that because they like to make a big deal at the beginning of every ceremony that it is being broadcast to over 100 countries around the world and over 1bn people are watching bla bla bla. Voting over the internet is a no brainer for global engagement and inclusivity. I wonder if it works on Twitter (I dont use it).
Old 16-02-2022, 19:55   #22
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I wonder if it works on Twitter (I dont use it).
No idea, I dont use it either.

Old 16-02-2022, 23:18   #23
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Good news for Paul. For the first time this year they are going to have an award for the fan voted favourite and it can be any film and not one that has already been nominated so keep your fingers crossed for Spiderman and Free Guy etc.

You can vote via Twitter or the Oscars website from now until 3rd March.

https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...an-1235181361/
I don't think that's an actual Oscar, is it? Seems like it's just going to be part of the show that they'll name the 'fan favorite' and the 'best moment'.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 23:43   #24
General Maximus
Ran Away

That's a shame. It needs to be worth something and not a token gesture. Already films like Belfast have had their advertising changed to read something like "nominated for 5 Academy Awards......"

I imagine the favourite is going to receive a few million votes which is far more than the academy membership so if a film wins "best film" as voted for by so many peeps then in imho it should at the very least win an Oscar. I would like to say that level of attainment and prestige makes it stand above the other categories but there is an arguement to be made about the Academy membership and professionals assessing the technical accomplishments so i am will to say each category has its own merits and neither are more deserving than the other. The fan favourite should definitely have an Oscar.
Old 17-02-2022, 10:44   #25
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
That's a shame. It needs to be worth something and not a token gesture. Already films like Belfast have had their advertising changed to read something like "nominated for 5 Academy Awards......"

I imagine the favourite is going to receive a few million votes which is far more than the academy membership so if a film wins "best film" as voted for by so many peeps then in imho it should at the very least win an Oscar. I would like to say that level of attainment and prestige makes it stand above the other categories but there is an arguement to be made about the Academy membership and professionals assessing the technical accomplishments so i am will to say each category has its own merits and neither are more deserving than the other. The fan favourite should definitely have an Oscar.
Belfast being able to market itself via the Oscars is one of the points of the Oscars I think. To promote films that might get missed because they're not an established franchise and don't have a large marketing budget. Spiderman doesn't need the exposure the Oscars bring.

There are a lot of issues around the Academy Membership but I am not sure I would expand the voting to the public. It would bias the awards to the films with the best marketing and widest distribution and deny smaller budget films a big platform. The likes of Belfast/Parasite will get pushed out in favour of what Marvel fans think the best Marvel film was this year. Although a single Oscar doesn't have that problem.

Maybe a selection of film critics should be included in the vote. You need people that have seen a lot of films, and a wide selection of films, over the last year really.
Old 17-02-2022, 14:57   #26
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Interesting (imho) explanation of how the nomination &voting system works.

https://variety.com/feature/who-vote...ks-1203490944/
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:32   #27
General Maximus
Ran Away

In case anyone was wondering:

Quote:
This year’s Academy Awards will require proof of COVID-19 vaccination for most — but not all — inside the Dolby Theater, Variety has confirmed.

As the New York Times first reported, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences determined on Thursday that all nominees and invited guests must show proof of vaccination and test negative at least twice via PCR testing. Those performing and presenting at the awards ceremony, on the other hand, will not need to show proof of vaccination, but will be tested rigorously.

This marks a clarification of the Academy’s COVID-19 policy, as it was reported on Feb. 9 that the Oscars would not require attendees to provide proof of vaccination. According to a source close to the situation, the decision to not require proof of vaccination for presenters and performers falls under the COVID-19 return-to-work agreement between the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers and unions. The agreement gives production companies the option to mandate COVID-19 vaccinations for Zone A — the production’s cast and the crew working closest with the actors — but it is not a requirement.

This year’s Oscars ceremony will invite 2,500 nominees and guests to the Dolby Theater, which typically seats over 3,300 people. According to the Times, guests and nominees seated in the orchestra and parterre sections of the theater will not be required to wear face masks. However, those seated in the mezzanine may face a mask requirement as they will be more tightly situated.

I am glad they are going down this route because it would have been silly for the celebs to go through all the effort of their appearance clothing and makeup and some looking stunning only to have to wear a mask all the time.
Old 24-02-2022, 12:40   #28
General Maximus
Ran Away

Quote:
The Academy’s plan unveiled Tuesday to cut Best Editing and seven other categories from this year’s live Oscar telecast to resuscitate viewership has received reactions of shock, disappointment, and outrage.

Falling double digits from the previous low, last year’s Oscars drew a measly audience of 10.4 million and a 2.1 rating among adults 18-49 for its April 25, 2021 primetime airing.

The plan is to record the presentation of some select categories immediately before the start of the live broadcast in front of a full audience at the Dolby Theatre. They then would be edited and ideally rolled seamlessly into the main show.

The affected categories are Film Editing, Makeup and Hairstyling, Original Score, Production Design, Sound, Documentary Short, Animated Short and Live Action Short.
https://deadline.com/2022/02/oscars-...ns-1234958682/

I feel really sorry for the people in the nominated categories. I know the majority of films nominated aren't blockbusters so you can say my following argument is mute however when it comes to huge successful films the only reason they are so successful is because every aspect of the production is at the top of its game. When we think of Game of Thrones we think of the story, the action and the characters but what would it be without music, costume & makeup and set design?

I for one am going to miss seeing the composers recognised for best original score. Apart from Dune and West Side Story I haven't watched any of the nominated films yet but just think of the awesome music and movie themes (e.g. John Williams, Alan Silvestri and Hans Zimmer) we have heard of the years and the impact they made on the films they featured in. I think it is a damn shame for those people not to get their share of the limelight.

Imho trying to streamline the ceremony isn't the answer. The people who watch it watch it for what it represents and duration is irrelevant. The problem they have every year and where the majority of the criticism always lies is with the hosts. Bring back Billy Crystal and viewership will skyrocket.
Old 24-02-2022, 13:43   #29
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Removing editing is so stupid, it's a core aspect of what makes a film a film as opposed to a play.
Old 24-02-2022, 20:05   #30
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

So, if Im reading that right, they will still be showing them, just edited ?