Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Belkin Router. Looses Connection Every 5 Minutes

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Belkin Router. Looses Connection Every 5 Minutes

Old 07-06-2008, 14:20   #1
Evertonian
Inactive

Evertonian is an unknown quantity at this point
Belkin Router. Looses Connection Every 5 Minutes

Hello,

Just thought I'd say I'm new to this forum and like to say Hello to everyone.

Anyway, I've had a Belkin wireless g plus router for about 5 months now, haven't had one single problem, but in the past 3 weeks I've been having problem as well as our network (3 other laptops and an XBox).

Every 5 minutes the router looses connection and comes straight back on. This happens to the 3 other laptops (which are connected to Vista - Wireless) and the XBox live via connected by ethernet lead.

I can tell this by things such as; downloading .zip files from internet sites, Torrent software, Windows Live Messenger and as I said the XBox Live.

I phone my ISP (Virgin Media) and firstly they said it could be a upgrade in the area as our modem seemed fine and he said it would last for few days. I thought nothing on it, but it kept happening for a week. Phoned up again and I was given a woman and all she done is made me change my frequency and said it should be okay. As soon as I got off the phone, I tried to download a 20mb file and it froze, which ment my internet connection had been lost.

Today, I finally thought its really being a pain, rang up and they said something like the pings are over 200 or something and if I take my ethernet lead its average is 11. So it has something to do with the network and told me to scan all the laptops (which i have) no viruses found and using MSConfig to get rid of all the unwanted program starts expect for anti-virus ones and microsoft ones.

The problem seems to be happening again
Anyone have any help.

Thanks.
Evertonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-06-2008, 14:45   #2
goldoni
Inactive

goldoni has reached the bronze age
goldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze age
Re: Belkin Router. Looses Connection Every 5 Minutes

To the Forum Re the Belkin router they are not the best router around and I think the problem is with interference. I found the person next door had a Netgear N router which I understand transmits on more than one frequency so can knockout other near radio traffic. To get over the problem short term I downloaded a Network gadget from Xirrus which tells me what frequency he was using and I went as far away as possible and changed the SSID.

In the end I went and got a Netgear N router as well and I don’t have the dead spots around the house or at the top of my garden via the Wifi connection and since then I have never lost a connection apart from when VM have dropped the connection.

I gave the Belkin Router away to a person on VM and he has had no problem so far….
goldoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 17:25   #3
Evertonian
Inactive

..but the thing is everywhere in the house is sound and also gives me 5 bar signal.

Anyway, your best solution is to get rid of my old one and get a brand new one? What type of new router should I be looking for and what would the price range be around?

For the short term, just download Xirrus?
Old 08-06-2008, 18:36   #4
goldoni
Inactive

goldoni has reached the bronze age
goldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze agegoldoni has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
..but the thing is everywhere in the house is sound and also gives me 5 bar signal.

Anyway, your best solution is to get rid of my old one and get a brand new one? What type of new router should I be looking for and what would the price range be around?

For the short term, just download Xirrus?
What do you think re the info given??

When you click “show Details” Did you find anybody near and on a near channel and under the Router list did it give a Netgear ? Also check the SSID Name.

The Router I would recommend is the Rangemax Netgear (Mimo) which comes in about £80 then the Rangemax Netgear 240 (Mimo)

Watch the vid on site how it all works. Netgear claims the 240 is as fast as fixed cable and twice as fast as other MIMO products.
goldoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 18:40   #5
Nikesh
Inactive

Nikesh has reached the bronze age
Nikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze ageNikesh has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evertonian View Post
What type of new router should I be looking for and what would the price range be around?
A lot of people on this forum recommend Linksys routers.
Nikesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 19:08   #6
hoggie
Inactive

Services: V+.XL tv & Bb
hoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nicehoggie is just really nice

reset the router back to default, then reset the security on all the laptops. then put the xbox outside the nat.
and change your ssid.
i have had the belkin mimo for over a year and have had no trouble.
if you do get a new router check it has the xbox logo on it.
hoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 13:20   #7
Evertonian
Inactive

Would like to say Thank you to everyone as you have found the problem.

The problem was the router itself. No thanks to Virgin as they said it would have nothing to do with the router haha.