Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus (OLD)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus (OLD)
Closed Thread

Old 14-03-2020, 19:43   #481
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
Ocado don't have stores, it is all done from warehouses.
The still won't necessarily have the stock at that time. At the local big Tescos, you see them going around with the trolleys picking the items off the shelves.
Advertisement
Old 14-03-2020, 19:50   #482
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
people whose opinions run way ahead of their expertise.
A sound description of everybody on this site. Some more than others............
Old 14-03-2020, 19:50   #483
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Even in normal times, having set up an order doesn't guarantee the products will be available at the time. The items are picked off the shelves the same as for any other shopper.

A lot of people should now have enough set aside to ride out a period of self-isolation. It should now mostly be a matter of normal routine buying to keep going.
I don't think that was quite the point he was making. If the app is offline, there is no way of booking a new delivery. If you've already set up recurring deliveries for a few weeks ahead then you will get deliveries even without the app being live. At the time items are picked, they will substitute unavailable items for something similar.

I must admit I went and had a look at the Asda app this afternoon after learning about Ocado. It is still working (though there is still no pasta or bog roll to be had), however the booking pattern looks more like the Christmas holidays, with all available slots booked for several days ahead, presumably, also like Christmas, by people who don't normally get home delivery.

As we pretty much rely on it, there being no supermarkets within a half hour drive of us, I have already booked our regular weekly delivery for next Friday. As I can usually predict what we need to get delivered week to week I will probably go back in over the next couple of days and set up some subsequent deliveries too.

The trick with Asda, at times of high demand, like Christmas, is to try to get the order right first time if you possibly can. If you order something that is unavailable at time of picking, they will substitute it. If however you reopen the order to amend it and the algorithm thinks something you already have on the order is now not likely to be available at time of picking, it will remove it from the order entirely. To guard against that happening you have to get the order complete first time and then leave it alone.
Old 14-03-2020, 20:10   #484
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The only difference is you believe it to be sound and I do not.
I’d love to be a fly on the wall whenever you pay a visit to a doctor or hospital or any expert on anything.

After the doctor has just given you a diagnosis.

“ yes doctor you believe your diagnosis to be sound and I do not”

To Einstein.

“ yes Alfred I know you believe your theory to be sound, and I do not”

To Stephen Hawking.

“Yes Stephen, I know you believe your theory on space time to be sound, and I do not”
Old 14-03-2020, 21:02   #485
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Netflix shuts down all production due to the Coronavirus:

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...GZE-QEY68N7n2I

---------- Post added at 20:02 ---------- Previous post was at 19:57 ----------

It's affecting animals too as monkeys storm the streets of Thailand:

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/wor...pozEI36coi00Xk
Old 14-03-2020, 21:24   #486
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

Makes a change from humans storming supermarkets
Old 14-03-2020, 22:01   #487
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’d love to be a fly on the wall whenever you pay a visit to a doctor or hospital or any expert on anything.

After the doctor has just given you a diagnosis.

“ yes doctor you believe your diagnosis to be sound and I do not”

To Einstein.

“ yes Alfred I know you believe your theory to be sound, and I do not”

To Stephen Hawking.

“Yes Stephen, I know you believe your theory on space time to be sound, and I do not”
tbf, he’s not the only one disagreeing (and these are real experts, not internet ones).

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51892402
Quote:
Hundreds of scientists have written to the government urging them to introduce tougher measures to tackle the spread of Covid-19.

In an open letter, a group of 229 scientists from UK universities say the government's current approach will put the NHS under additional stress and "risk many more lives than necessary".

The signatories also criticised comments made by Sir Patrick Vallance, the government's chief scientific adviser, about managing the spread of the infection to make the population immune.

The Department of Health said Sir Patrick's comments had been "misinterpreted".

In their letter the scientists also questioned the government's view that people will become fed up with restrictions if they were imposed too soon.
Quote:
The UK's approach to coping with the coronavirus pandemic has been in stark contrast to other countries. The whole of Italy has been on lockdown since Tuesday, while Poland is set to close its borders for two weeks.

On Saturday the French government ordered the closure of all non-essential public locations from midnight (23:00 GMT Saturday).

And Spain has declared a 15-day national lockdown on Monday to battle the virus,

In the open letter the group of scientists argue that stronger "social distancing measures" would "dramatically" slow the rate of growth of the disease in the UK, and would spare "thousands of lives".

The group said the current measures are "insufficient" and "additional and more restrictive measures should be taken immediately", as is happening in other countries.
Quote:
In a separate letter to the government, more than 200 behavioural scientists have questioned the government's argument that starting tougher measures too soon would lead to people not sticking to them just at the point that the epidemic is at its height.

"While we fully support an evidence-based approach to policy that draws on behavioural science, we are not convinced that enough is known about 'behavioural fatigue' or to what extent these insights apply to the current exceptional circumstances," the letter said.

"Such evidence is necessary if we are to base a high-risk public health strategy on it."

"In fact, it seems likely that even those essential behaviour changes that are presently required (e.g., handwashing) will receive far greater uptake the more urgent the situation is perceived to be. Carrying on as normal for as long as possible undercuts that urgency," it added.

The scientists said "radical behaviour change" could have a "much better" effect and could "save very large numbers of lives".

"Experience in China and South Korea is sufficiently encouraging to suggest that this possibility should at least be attempted," it added.

The second letter called on the government to reconsider its stance on "behavioural fatigue" and to share the evidence on which it based this stance.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 14-03-2020, 22:24   #488
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
tbf, he’s not the only one disagreeing (and these are real experts, not internet ones).

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-51892402
I’ve read the article you cite.

One quote is
Quote:
The major downside of herd immunity, according to Birmingham University's Prof Willem van Schaik, is that this will mean that in the UK alone at least 36 million people will need to be infected and recover.
"It is almost impossible to predict what that will mean in terms of human costs, but we are conservatively looking at tens of thousands of deaths, and possibly at hundreds of thousands of deaths," he said.
"The only way to make this work would be to spread out these millions of cases over a relatively long period of time so that the NHS does not get overwhelmed."
Now I’m pretty sure that’s what was said by the CMO/CSO. The infection can’t be stopped, only slowed. 70% of the population will be infected (more than the 36M quoted above). And we need to flatten the curved. This all consistent with the government’s message.
Old 14-03-2020, 22:30   #489
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I’ve read the article you cite.

One quote is

Now I’m pretty sure that’s what was said by the CMO/CSO. The infection can’t be stopped, only slowed. 70% of the population will be infected (more than the 36M quoted above). And we need to flatten the curved. This all consistent with the government’s message.
Beware of experts putting their faith and our lives in a hypothetical flat curved graph.

Herd immunity? We aren't cattle.
Old 14-03-2020, 22:41   #490
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Beware of experts putting their faith and our lives in a hypothetical flat curved graph.
Well in an emergency, where I know less, I would listen to the expert(s). I would listen to all and then based on their input I would make my own conclusion.

Nothing has transpired yet for me to discount any advice offered as yet.

Quote:
Well that is where you’re wrong. That is exactly what we are. To the virus at least, which couldn’t give a toss of our superior intellect to the bovine community.
Old 14-03-2020, 22:48   #491
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post

If you don't eat em your one of em.
Old 14-03-2020, 22:50   #492
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

There's some fairly irrelevant roles that have signed off on that open letter. Progressing through one of those degrees listed and having met two of the people on the list I'm really not sure what gave them the 'expertise' to sign it. Because of that it just looks like anyone that can lay claim to being a 'scientist' signed it. I mean I'm only on year two but I'm fairly confident I have absolutely no idea why the government's plan is wrong. Must be year three when these issues start to become part of my study
Old 14-03-2020, 22:55   #493
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
There is plenty of Paint stock at your local DIY store, as people are already stocking up in order to decorate when they self isolate.
On that subject, I was wondering whether the NHS will be prepared for the Christmas baby boom
Old 14-03-2020, 23:03   #494
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
On that subject, I was wondering whether the NHS will be prepared for the Christmas baby boom
Funny, missus said that the other day too

---------- Post added at 22:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
There's some fairly irrelevant roles that have signed off on that open letter. Progressing through one of those degrees listed and having met two of the people on the list I'm really not sure what gave them the 'expertise' to sign it. Because of that it just looks like anyone that can lay claim to being a 'scientist' signed it. I mean I'm only on year two but I'm fairly confident I have absolutely no idea why the government's plan is wrong. Must be year three when these issues start to become part of my study
It’s a fairly blatant appeal to authority. At least some of those signatories simply don’t have the expertise to pass judgement on the conclusions reached by the relevant scientific advisers and are using the catch-all title “scientist” to get themselves heard. It’s a pity, because we do need a vigorous ongoing debate about the best way of tackling this, but people weighing in and pretending to have insight that they simply don’t, really doesn’t help.
Old 14-03-2020, 23:17   #495
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal

Following on. Would the ban on mass gatherings include public and/or University libraries? There's generally a peak of 2000 people in the University library. I also happen to work at said University, with the current move of all education to online lecturing I'm thinking I'm about to be shot twice.

They allowed students to leave and return to their parents homes yesterday but that wasn't feasible for many, international students in particular with a pretty big Asian student population in the North-East Uni's. They're generally gathering in the libraries and SU locations. They haven't been stopped from trying to travel home but there's a fear if they do manage it then they'll be stopped returning.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 14-03-2020 at 23:26.
Closed Thread