Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The state benefits system mega-thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The state benefits system mega-thread.

Old 30-03-2014, 12:37   #1141
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: The state benefits system mega-thread. Many merged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post

I thought that was the idea behind it? To free up larger properties for families?
It's certainly part of the intention but you can't force people to move if they are up to date with rent

---------- Post added at 12:31 ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
Two of my friends have been able to either get a council house for the first time or move to a larger one now that properties are being freed up.

The thing is, this policy has been in place for years for those in private rented accommodation.
getting some on here to accept that is proving very hard

---------- Post added at 12:37 ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
The fairness is that it is something that those in the private rented sector have had to deal with all along. People keep bitching about too little 1/2 bed social housing being built. Although in the area around me, quite a lot of 1/2 bed social housing has been built. It has been all too easy to put people in oversized housing, because the tenants didn't care about how the rent was going to be paid. The housing associations could build loads of unneeded 3/4 properties. Now they can concentrate more on building 1/2 bed properties, with demand for 3/4 bed ones being supplied by the ones freed up by people with spare bedrooms.

Housing associations are financed by central government and recycling rent money.
Exactly , this policy may actually focus some LA's and HA's in managing the stock a bit more efficiently
Advertisement
Old 31-03-2014, 14:36   #1142
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadking View Post
Housing associations are financed by central government and recycling rent money.
Housing associations are also financed through borrowing. Borrowing is their main source of funding for building new properties.

Of course they're forced to sell properties off at substantial discounts with, contrary to government claims, a replacement rate on right to buy of about 1 to 7 rather than 1 to 1 but that's a different story.

Here's hoping it doesn't go the same way the private sector has, with family homes in tremendously short supply because developers went crazy building small flats. Due to high cost of land that was the way to get the most profit.

I'm not convinced, in any event, that we should use the private rented sector as any measure of what is fair. Our PRS is a disaster by any sensible measure.

---------- Post added at 14:36 ---------- Previous post was at 14:31 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Exactly , this policy may actually focus some LA's and HA's in managing the stock a bit more efficiently

Perhaps another good way of assisting with management of stock would be to stop forcing social housing providers to sell stock into the private sector on substantial discounts.

Over 1/3rd of all right to buy has found its way into the private rented sector.

I entirely agree the social housing providers could do better with their stock, I'm merely of the opinion that enabling them to build more would be a far better way to both improve the availability of social housing and reduce the housing benefit bill.

EDIT: All this said, as we're talking about fairness perhaps you guys could enlighten me on why this only affects people of working age?
Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 17:46   #1143
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week

Quote:

Perhaps another good way of assisting with management of stock would be to stop forcing social housing providers to sell stock into the private sector on substantial discounts.

Over 1/3rd of all right to buy has found its way into the private rented sector.

I entirely agree the social housing providers could do better with their stock, I'm merely of the opinion that enabling them to build more would be a far better way to both improve the availability of social housing and reduce the housing benefit bill.
I think that's spot on ,no way should the LA's have been allowed to sell off all the stock without replacing at least some of it (hindsight is a wonderful thing )

Quote:
All this said, as we're talking about fairness perhaps you guys could enlighten me on why this only affects people of working age?
I must admit that i was surprised that the biggest offenders of under occupying have been given exempt status ,namely pensioners .I would have sooner that disabled people be given exempt status and pensioners given the reduction in benefit .I have today fit 10 windows in a 3 bed house occupied only by an 80 something old woman and there where bungalows built 3yrs ago behind her street on the grounds of an old school specifically for pensioners
Old 31-03-2014, 18:03   #1144
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I think that's spot on ,no way should the LA's have been allowed to sell off all the stock without replacing at least some of it (hindsight is a wonderful thing )
-allowed +compelled.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:
I must admit that i was surprised that the biggest offenders of under occupying have been given exempt status ,namely pensioners .I would have sooner that disabled people be given exempt status and pensioners given the reduction in benefit .I have today fit 10 windows in a 3 bed house occupied only by an 80 something old woman and there where bungalows built 3yrs ago behind her street on the grounds of an old school specifically for pensioners
Haven't pensioners been exempted from most of the 'austerity' measures? Not sure why this would be surprising. An absolute majority of pensioners vote Tory and they have the highest turnout.

Fairness is for those who wouldn't have voted Tory anyway.
Old 31-03-2014, 18:14   #1145
Gary L
cf.mega poster

Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star
Gary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny starGary L has a nice shiny star

Quote:
I have today fit 10 windows in a 3 bed house occupied only by an 80 something old woman and there where bungalows built 3yrs ago behind her street on the grounds of an old school specifically for pensioners
Don't worry Marty. she might snuff it soon. and a nice big family can move in
Gary L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 18:30   #1146
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
-allowed +compelled.

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Haven't pensioners been exempted from most of the 'austerity' measures? Not sure why this would be surprising. An absolute majority of pensioners vote Tory and they have the highest turnout.

Fairness is for those who wouldn't have voted Tory anyway.
Actually, in 2010 it was 44%.

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/pais/people/greaves/wellington_college_talk.ppt
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2014, 18:36   #1147
martyh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary L View Post
Don't worry Marty. she might snuff it soon. and a nice big family can move in
That is probably the thinking behind the exemption, 'natural wastage' would vacate the properties anyway and no way would a council move a pensioner into a 3/2 bed semi so in a relatively short number of years the problem of having elderly people hogging large council houses will solve itself naturally
Old 01-04-2014, 12:34   #1148
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Thanks - let me find the source for the figure I quoted. It refers to 'voting intention' rather than 2010's results, my bad there.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:34   #1149
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Housing benefit changes distress disabled people, say MPs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26843152

The problem is in its implementation it is hitting the wrong group too much.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:14   #1150
Jimmy-J
as common as muck

Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array
Jimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze arrayJimmy-J has a bronze array

But that's ok, because it saves the tax payer £1m a day.

Jimmy-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:41   #1151
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-J View Post
But that's ok, because it saves the tax payer £1m a day.
l did not say it was okay Jimmy because in my opinion the policy was ill thought out and rushed as most policies are to save money.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:47   #1152
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l did not say it was okay Jimmy because in my opinion the policy was ill thought out and rushed as most policies are to save money.
I think he meant to quote Martyr from http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/35...-post1150.html

(Probably).
Old 02-04-2014, 12:15   #1153
tizmeinnit

I still want to know where all these smaller properties are to move into? Also I am pretty sure most supporting this bollocks policy have no idea how difficult it is to move from one property to another anyway. Its all bidding wars nowadays
Old 02-04-2014, 14:07   #1154
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
I still want to know where all these smaller properties are to move into? Also I am pretty sure most supporting this bollocks policy have no idea how difficult it is to move from one property to another anyway. Its all bidding wars nowadays
Exactly as there is a acute shortage of smaller places that means that many could not downsize to a smaller place even if they wanted to.
Old 02-04-2014, 14:32   #1155
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling

The whole policy is ill-thought out and badly implemented and the consequences critics cited, namely few people moving and many in rent arrears, have come to pass.
Damien is offline   Reply With Quote