Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

Old 20-03-2020, 18:12   #16
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Any business customers in new Malden having issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali195 View Post
Second tech came onsite just now. Top man, we figured out that some of the static IP's are no good:

**VMB have a master ticket open for HALF of client static IP's being highly throttled due to high utilisation**

Cycle through them on your own equipment until you get a good one. 3 of my 5 are no good. Luckily I only need 1.
Quote:
I'd really like to get some stats like that, any recommendation for a windows based app? Also what IP/address are you targeting? The 'network ip', first IP on the block you were given?
I wrote that software buddy. It runs on Mac, Windows and Linux and will be open source (GPLv3). I've been developing it for just over a month, I've been ill for the last 2 weeks (had covid symptoms but thankfully tested negative) so development stopped, but I've just started up again and trying to get to a position of a first release.

Currently this is targetting 1.1.1.1, but that's just because I haven't added the actual interface to create a new target. It's been written as an extensible piece of software, it uses plugins for everything, this means that the ping engine can be replaced with a different one, other functions can be added to the software and so forth.
fizzyade is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 20-03-2020, 22:37   #17
fizzyade
cf.addict

fizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about themfizzyade has a spectacular aura about them

I just got an emergency work notification for sunday between midnight and 6am. Anybody else get it?
Old 20-03-2020, 23:36   #18
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyade View Post
I just got an emergency work notification for sunday between midnight and 6am. Anybody else get it?
Yes I got this:-

Date of Issue 20/03/2020
Planned Work Ref C01110305
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 22/03/2020 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 22/03/2020 06:01
Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.
The service outage should only last for 5 minutes but additional instability for up to 2 hours could be seen, however a 6 hour time frame has been given in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

This is urgent work that needs to take place on our Network
ccarmock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 23:45   #19
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarmock View Post
Yes I got this:-

Date of Issue 20/03/2020
Planned Work Ref C01110305
Planned Work Start (Local UK): 22/03/2020 00:01
Planned Work End (Local UK): 22/03/2020 06:01
Impact: There will be a loss of service at some point during the timeframe stated above whilst we complete the maintenance work.
The service outage should only last for 5 minutes but additional instability for up to 2 hours could be seen, however a 6 hour time frame has been given in the event of any unforeseen circumstances.

This is urgent work that needs to take place on our Network
I really wish they'd give a clue as to what they're doing, although I guess that may be commercially sensitive. I wonder if this is anything to do with the static ip problem.
Old 20-03-2020, 23:51   #20
ccarmock
cf.geek

ccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation eraccarmock has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyade View Post
I really wish they'd give a clue as to what they're doing, although I guess that may be commercially sensitive. I wonder if this is anything to do with the static ip problem.
They sometimes do go into a bit more detail in these notices.. but this time nothing!
Old 21-03-2020, 00:00   #21
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
They sometimes do go into a bit more detail in these notices.. but this time nothing!
Maybe they're upgrading us all to 1Gbit in these trying times! lol
Old 23-03-2020, 15:27   #22
ccarmock
cf.geek

I didn't record any outage last night, despite being told there would be, and while marginally improved today - on Friday it's still not working well.

On Friday about 4 Mb/s on a 500 Mb/s business service, today around 15 Mb/s, possibly due to local congestion I guess
Old 23-03-2020, 16:26   #23
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
I didn't record any outage last night, despite being told there would be, and while marginally improved today - on Friday it's still not working well.

On Friday about 4 Mb/s on a 500 Mb/s business service, today around 15 Mb/s, possibly due to local congestion I guess
I had issues, but switched to a different IP on my range and I’m getting 350 odd and 30 up. On the previous IP it was the kind of speeds you are reporting.

I also didn’t see any outages or downtime.
Old 27-03-2020, 13:09   #24
fizzyade
cf.addict

Quote:
I'd really like to get some stats like that, any recommendation for a windows based app? Also what IP/address are you targeting? The 'network ip', first IP on the block you were given?
I pushed the source code here:

https://github.com/fizzyade/pingnoo

It's still a work in progress, currently it only pings 1.1.1.1, it's only a small bit of work to finish this bit up though and it's next on my list of things to do.