Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Home network - switch issue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Home network - switch issue

Old 23-06-2020, 16:31   #1
richbembo
cf.member

richbembo is an unknown quantity at this point
Home network - switch issue

SLM2048
00:23:eb:b0:c3:52

Hi there. Ten years ago I decided to wire my house with Cat 6. I also bought a Cisco (Linksys I think) SLM2048 switch.

My ISP enters my house, and then is distributed by the SLM2048.

The SLM2048 is now way past end-of-support but still works.

Today I changed ISP from BT to Virgin Media.

Problem:

The VM modem/router is on IP address 192.168.0.10.
The BT is on 192.168.1.253.
My SLM2048 switch is on default 192.168.1.254.
(To make this work I had to change the IP address of the BT modem/router to ...253 which in itself was traumatic.)

Now, I need to change the IP address of the SLM2048 to 192.168.0.something so that it is on the same network as the VM router/modem.

I cannot figure out how to do it.

Every time I go into 192.168.1.254 (whilst going through the BT router) and change the IP address to 192.168.0.254 and the Default Gateway to 192.168.0.10, the SLM2048 admin page doesn't reload after I hit "Save" (obviously I guess).

If I go to 192.168.1.254 I get a timeout. Can't ping it either.

But then when I switch to the VM router so I am on the 192.168.0.xxx network, I cannot see the SLM2048 at 192.168.0.254 either.

I end up having to factory reset the SLM2048, and reconnecting via the BT router and then I can see it again.

Please help.
richbembo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-06-2020, 01:43   #2
alanbjames
R.I.P.

Services: XL Phone, XXXL Gig1 BB SH4 (wired).
alanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these partsalanbjames is just so famous around these parts
Re: Home network - switch issue

Why did u have to change IP Address?

I always thought the whole point of these were plug and play and to auto assign an IP.
alanbjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 04:44   #3
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I dont quite understand how you have your network set up.
What do you mean by going to the SLM2048 through the BT Router ?

So atm, my only suggestion atm is make sure the Network Mask on all of them is set to 255.255.0.0, so you have just the one 192.168.x.x. network.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 11:34   #4
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Can you draw a simple, physical diagram of your network?

Also, is there any specific reason why are you using a managed/layer3 capable switch?
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2020, 16:27   #5
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Brief search shows that 192.168.1 is possibly used for the guest network.

If you set a PC to have a fixed IP on 192.168.1 can you then IP to the switch and change it to 192.168.0?
Old 24-06-2020, 16:42   #6
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

If you know the MAC of the switch you can then make an ARP table entry via the CLI to give it a temporary IP in your home range so you can then access it.
Old 24-06-2020, 19:46   #7
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

If you have a machine with an ethernet port, give it a static IP address on 192.168.1.0/24 -

Say 192.68.1.2 with a netmask of 255.255.255.0

Patch it into the switch and open the admin GUI of the switch in your browser

Go into Setup > Network Settings and set the IP Address mode to DHCP

Just let the switch obtain it's IP config for the default/management VLAN from your SHUB/Modem and it will save farting about with DHCP reservations or static addressing.

You will be able to look in the attached devices panel on your hub to check which address the switch has been allocated.
Old 26-06-2020, 12:20   #8
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

I don't know the SHUB settings but on my router I configure DHCP range from .100 to .199 and use the lower numbers for network devices or clients I want to fix and .200.254 for things like printers, TiVos etc that I also want to fix but are more "publicly" available.

So I would still fix network devices like switches, routers, AP's to the low numbers. The range is big enough I can add new routers/AP's etc to replace older ones, get them working then retire the old.

For some devices they still use DHCP but I fix the IP via MAC address.
Old 26-06-2020, 12:55   #9
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
I don't know the SHUB settings but on my router I configure DHCP range from .100 to .199 and use the lower numbers for network devices or clients I want to fix and .200.254 for things like printers, TiVos etc that I also want to fix but are more "publicly" available.

So I would still fix network devices like switches, routers, AP's to the low numbers. The range is big enough I can add new routers/AP's etc to replace older ones, get them working then retire the old.

You can configure DHCP reservations on the Superhub but it hardly seems worth the hassle in this case if the OP is using it as no more than just a dumb switch.

Better off just setting the default VLAN configuration to use DHCP and there's no need to worry about it when changing ISP again in the future.
Old 26-06-2020, 18:49   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetiepooh View Post
.... on my router I configure DHCP range from .100 to .199 and use the lower numbers for network devices or clients I want to fix and .200.254 for things like printers, TiVos etc that I also want to fix but are more "publicly" available.

I pretty much do the same, except I simply have .100+ for dhcp, and all devices I want to have fixed IPs on .2 to .99.
The .1 address is the router itself (default gateway), I'm only up to .12 on fixed devices.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote