Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coronavirus

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.


Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Coronavirus
View Poll Results: When you become eligible for the Covid Vaccine, would you take it?
Yes 70 86.42%
No 5 6.17%
Unsure 6 7.41%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 29-04-2021, 16:27   #4906
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 9,469
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Unless you want to reduce the chance of them spreading the virus if they are one of the one in three that is asymptomatic when they get it.
But if everyone that needs to be is vaccinated, and many, many more will have had it, so what. Their immune systems can take care of it.

"could" be justified is not the same as "required"

Also variants/ mutations are not always more deadly, it may evolve to be less lethal. Not that it's that lethal at the moment.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-04-2021, 16:50   #4907
jonbxx
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: #Plagueisland
Age: 50
Services: VM VIP Pack
Posts: 1,335
jonbxx has reached the bronze age
jonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze agejonbxx has reached the bronze age
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I don't think I will be in any rush to have my two boys vaccinated but no doubt it will be forced on upon them if we want to go on holiday.

There is no reason to have under 18's (you could probably go as far as under 30) vaccinated.
As Hugh said, good old herd immunity and the fact that no vaccine is 100% effective are good reasons to get as many people vaccinated as possible. The young may not need the protection the vaccine gives but vaccinating the young will protect others.

I would feel much more comfortable if my kids were vaccinated before visiting their Gran/my mum even though she's had her jabs
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 17:14   #4908
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 9,469
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
As Hugh said, good old herd immunity and the fact that no vaccine is 100% effective are good reasons to get as many people vaccinated as possible. The young may not need the protection the vaccine gives but vaccinating the young will protect others.

I would feel much more comfortable if my kids were vaccinated before visiting their Gran/my mum even though she's had her jabs
Well that's fine.

I won't be having mine done unless I'm forced to by stealth.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 17:34   #4909
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,333
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I don't think I will be in any rush to have my two boys vaccinated but no doubt it will be forced on upon them if we want to go on holiday.

There is no reason to have under 18's (you could probably go as far as under 30) vaccinated.
Lockdown lovers might enjoy the prospect of hovering below the herd immunity threshold and ongoing restrictions.

I however don’t. Mandate it for teenagers especially as they’ll start clogging up university halls in major towns and cities. To not mandate it, or withhold it, despite the evidence proving it safe and effective is good news for the anti-vax brigade.

Last edited by jfman; 29-04-2021 at 17:39.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 17:51   #4910
Hugh
Hic Sunt Dracones
Cable Forum Team
 
Hugh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Age: 64
Services: Premiere Collection
Posts: 36,809
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well that's fine.

I won't be having mine done unless I'm forced to by stealth.
Have your kids had the MMR jabs?

If so, what’s the difference?

(Genuinely curious, not trying to have a go).
__________________
There is always light.
If only we’re brave enough to see it.
If only we’re brave enough to be it
.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 18:07   #4911
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 9,469
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I however don’t. Mandate it for teenagers especially as they’ll start clogging up university halls in major towns and cities. To not mandate it, or withhold it, despite the evidence proving it safe and effective is good news for the anti-vax brigade.

You can't "mandate" it, you can strongly advise it.

It's either the decision of the parent or the decision of the person.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Have your kids had the MMR jabs?

If so, what’s the difference?

(Genuinely curious, not trying to have a go).
I know you're not.

Yes they had MMR and everything else. So did I when I was a kid including the polio sugar cube.

They are very different illnesses than COVID

Getting one of the MMR illnesses as a child, especially, a very young child can cause serious complications.

There is no evidence that COVID causes any issues for Children (that don't have other complications)
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 18:07   #4912
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,333
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You can't "mandate" it, you can strongly advise it.

It's either the decision of the parent or the decision of the person.
Well whatever the strongest requirement is. Incentivise it as you say through mandating testing as much as possible (airports) at an individuals expense. Covid passports for popular venues and events the age group would participate in.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:17   #4913
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team
 
Maggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: between Portsmouth and Southampton.
Age: 68
Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Posts: 39,173
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
You can't "mandate" it, you can strongly advise it.

It's either the decision of the parent or the decision of the person.

---------- Post added at 18:07 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------



I know you're not.

Yes they had MMR and everything else. So did I when I was a kid including the polio sugar cube.

They are very different illnesses than COVID

Getting one of the MMR illnesses as a child, especially, a very young child can cause serious complications.

There is no evidence that COVID causes any issues for Children (that don't have other complications)
The whole point of healthy people getting vaccinated is to protect those whose immune systems cannot cope either with catching covid or with the actual vaccine..The idea is to try and protect the particularly vulnerable so why wouldn't a relatively healthy adult not get vaccinated if only to protect other vulnerable members of family or community?
__________________
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Shakespeare..
Maggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:25   #4914
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,333
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
The whole point of healthy people getting vaccinated is to protect those whose immune systems cannot cope either with catching covid or with the actual vaccine..The idea is to try and protect the particularly vulnerable so why wouldn't a relatively healthy adult not get vaccinated if only to protect other vulnerable members of family or community?
Heaven forbid a Government policy values the collective over the individual.

I think the fact Pierre is willing to sell up his principles on vaccinating children for saving money on a family holiday is telling. Two PCR tests at my cost? No thanks.

Government should absolutely crush the will of those resisting by increasing the inconvenience and financial cost. It’s so easy.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:34   #4915
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Up North - Where It's Grim
Age: 53
Posts: 1,385
GrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronze
GrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronzeGrimUpNorth is cast in bronze
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Heaven forbid a Government policy values the collective over the individual.

I think the fact Pierre is willing to sell up his principles on vaccinating children for saving money on a family holiday is telling. Two PCR tests at my cost? No thanks.

Government should absolutely crush the will of those resisting by increasing the inconvenience and financial cost. It’s so easy.
You mean by making vaccination a condition of getting a passport or making you pay for insurance to cover the cost to the state if you subsequently required NHS treatment which could have reasonably been avoided by being vaccinated?
GrimUpNorth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:38   #4916
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 9,469
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy View Post
The whole point of healthy people getting vaccinated is to protect those whose immune systems cannot cope either with catching covid or with the actual vaccine..
Are they not getting vaccinated then?

---------- Post added at 22:38 ---------- Previous post was at 22:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Government should absolutely crush the will of those resisting by increasing the inconvenience and financial cost. It’s so easy.
The public should be “crushed” , free will abolished, and freedom only when approved and allowed by the state.

Yours sincerely JFMarx.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:42   #4917
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,333
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
You mean by making vaccination a condition of getting a passport or making you pay for insurance to cover the cost to the state if you subsequently required NHS treatment which could have reasonably been avoided by being vaccinated?
There’s lower hanging fruit than that.

Any testing requirement adding £160 per child per holiday suddenly finds capitalists keen to avoid the cost.

Leveraging the system is easy without necessarily making it an absolute condition. Those with a principled stand suddenly will sell out for a couple of nights in a three star hotel in Benidorm.

---------- Post added at 22:42 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post

The public should be “crushed” , free will abolished, and freedom only when approved and allowed by the state.

Yours sincerely JFMarx.
I know you’re obviously content to risk further lockdown, and huge economic costs resulting from failure of the vaccination programme, and letting the virus run rife in schools and further education institutions.

However, I absolutely disagree.

The irony is you call others “lockdown lovers” and when offered a way out resist, unless you can save money on a holiday of course.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 22:50   #4918
1andrew1
cf.mega poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 9,605
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array1andrew1 has a bronze array
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Well that's fine.

I won't be having mine done unless I'm forced to by stealth.
Why not? You're giving the virus more opportunities to spread and thereby slow down the ending of restrictions.
1andrew1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 23:03   #4919
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills
 
Pierre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: floating in the ether
Posts: 9,469
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I know you’re obviously content to risk further lockdown,
no evidence of that
Quote:
and huge economic costs resulting from failure of the vaccination programme
no evidence of any failure.
Quote:
and letting the virus run rife in schools and further education institutions.
no evidence again.

Quote:
However, I absolutely disagree.
fine

Quote:
The irony is you call others “lockdown lovers” and when offered a way out resist, unless you can save money on a holiday of course.
The way out is already mapped without the need to vaccinate children.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Why not?
Only the illiterate would not have read and understood my point of view.

Quote:
You're giving the virus more opportunities to spread and thereby slow down the ending of restrictions.
I look forward to reading your paper.
__________________
The wheel's still turning but the hamsters dead.
Pierre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 23:22   #4920
jfman
Architect of Ideas
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 6,333
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
jfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appealjfman has a bronzed appeal
Re: Coronavirus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
no evidence of that no evidence of any failure. no evidence again.

fine



The way out is already mapped without the need to vaccinate children.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 23:00 ----------



Only the illiterate would not have read and understood my point of view.



I look forward to reading your paper.
On the contrary Pierre.

Anyone can read your posts - no need for restrictions, no need for vaccination as to those you deem 'safe' (notably, safe isn't scientifically defined).

That in itself always brings us back to the same risk - overwhelming the limited capacity of NHS resource. As you well know, I've told you often enough.

The way out isn't mapped at all - there's an aspirational document that will absolutely be overturned if and when the ignorant decide rules no longer apply to them when they should. Or, en masse they no longer need to be vaccinated.

If you want this to be the schools going back argument again as a comfort that you are right I'm more than happy to watch you follow the deluded path as you did in January.

There's always been two ways out - elimination through lockdown. Elimination through vaccination.

There is no 'living with the virus'.

I've always believed you've engaged with this debate sincerely. But without either path lockdown continues to be absolutely inevitable as much as it is absolutely avoidable.

As long as we keep pushing up the price of bang average family package holidays though with PCR tests I think we should we good.

Lockdown lovers of course thrive in this uncertainty because that is the only absolute certainty.

Last edited by jfman; 29-04-2021 at 23:31.
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 22:44.


Server: curium.zmnt.uk
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.