Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Old 12-10-2012, 22:43   #2326
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age
Re: Think Broadband Ping Monitor Results (POST YOURS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretuk View Post
www.conspiracytheory.com is that way ------->
I object to that comment. I'm not into conspiracy theories! Only facts. Apologise at your leisure.

Until yesterday, when the effects upon my service became clear I was defending VM to the hilt against habitual VM bashers and conspiracy theorists. My service has been virtually perfect for years.

I just got off the phone to CS. It has now been explained to me very clearly that there is a specific problem with servers (sic) in the country giving effects nationwide but not everywhere. They have been attempting to fix the problem for a few days and it is likely to continue for a week.

The reason, I am now told, that the effect is so pronounced in the evenings is because of normal increased traffic as the evening progresses and that VM engineers are deliberately reducing service, at the flick of a switch, nation-wide. This, and I am using their words, is to prevent 'network collapse'. A few areas are unaffected.

To compensate me my bill is being reduced by £20 this month. Tokenism?

We shall see shan't we? I will desist from ringing CS for a week, fully expecting an improvement after that time.

Isn't it a pity that VM didn't forewarn its customers about this, so we could ,where possible, make adjustments to our usage .
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-10-2012, 23:20   #2327
Coffeeguy
cf.member

Services: Hub 5 VM 200MB Broadband
Coffeeguy is on a distinguished roadCoffeeguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
<snip>I just got off the phone to CS</snip>
I wonder what 'your man in Bangalore' was smoking because I'd love some of it. My man in Mumbai told me VM were testing the Superhub 3.
Coffeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 23:27   #2328
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeguy View Post
I wonder what 'your man in Bangalore' was smoking because I'd love some of it. My man in Mumbai told me VM were testing the Superhub 3.
Jeez. They tell us anything that comes into their heads.

What was he referring to? How can testing Superhub 3 degrade so many customer's service every evening?
Old 12-10-2012, 23:29   #2329
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Would be nice to know a fault reference number for this....
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 23:47   #2330
Coffeeguy
cf.member

Services: Hub 5 VM 200MB Broadband
Coffeeguy is on a distinguished roadCoffeeguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jeez. They tell us anything that comes into their heads.

What was he referring to? How can testing Superhub 3 degrade so many customer's service every evening?
He mentioned something about it having 'Super' powers but wouldn't elaborate
Coffeeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 00:13   #2331
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeeguy View Post
He mentioned something about it having 'Super' powers but wouldn't elaborate
Unfortunately the technicians were not thinking straight when they put the krytponite component in the super-hub...
Old 13-10-2012, 00:45   #2332
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

Quote:

Which server was that?

Quote:
Ping test not working. It is failing to find a ping server good enough it seems.
So here's a trace route to the ping test server selected as being the best!

tracert xilo.net

Tracing route to xilo.net [91.199.78.20]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
The Xilo pingtest server isn't at xilo.net

It's at 213.229.119.169

---------- Post added at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigj2k12 View Post
Thats not what happening here
Well actually... The amount of increase in latency is far higher than one would expect from any saturated link, and looks more like what you'd expect from an overloaded firewall or DPI module. That and the consistency of its effects across VM's entire network do make me wonder...
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 04:06   #2333
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Well actually... The amount of increase in latency is far higher than one would expect from any saturated link, and looks more like what you'd expect from an overloaded firewall or DPI module. That and the consistency of its effects across VM's entire network do make me wonder...
Expand....................
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 08:18   #2334
kwikbreaks
cf.mega poster

Services: Plusnet FTTC, FoxSat HDR for TV, Vonage VOIP.
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze age
kwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze agekwikbreaks has reached the bronze age

I'm guessing qas means....

Maybe they are testing their new shaping policies?

If too many are evading NNTP + P2P shaping by using VPNs perhaps they are trying some real DPI but haven't got the grunt to support it.
kwikbreaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 09:16   #2335
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
Which server was that?

The Xilo pingtest server isn't at xilo.net

It's at 213.229.119.169

---------- Post added at 00:45 ---------- Previous post was at 00:44 ----------

Firstly, that speed test was NAMESCO London, the one that gives me the most consistent results; usually 104Mb. The bump is having a significant effect on my service.

Thanks regarding Xilo. I just went for the obvious.

Whatever the reason for the action VM is taking during the evening, it is clear that it is calculated. It isn't just the natural effect of congestion. It commences and ceases too abruptly for that. The CS explanation given me is that they are having temporary server problems and they are merely reducing the service at that time to avoid meltdown whilst they fix it. Pinch of salt taken before ringing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Would be nice to know a fault reference number for this....
Yes it would. Since there is no fault with my local connection or network I was not given one.
Old 13-10-2012, 10:59   #2336
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Quote:

Yes it would. Since there is no fault with my local connection or network I was not given one.
For this exact hump problem, they have given the fault ref F002195199 but it only is valid for those in the Worthing area, even though everyone else in the thread has told them its not limited to worthing....
Old 13-10-2012, 11:33   #2337
japitts
cf.geek

Services: V6 with Full-House/Maxit Sports & Movies, 100Mb broadband, Talk Weekends.
japitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud ofjapitts has much to be proud of

This is pretty typical for me in BS37 at the moment...

japitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 11:53   #2338
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aura

Maybe we should all go on the VM Forum and report these humps en masse. Be a tad difficult for VM to dismiss reports from all over the country and, with other members over there seeing what we report, it may set the ball moving for VM to have to have come clean about what appears to be an extremely widespread issue.

I was one of the earliest members on there when it was first set up and I have seen posts deleted in the past when they asked too many embarrassing questions but don't know whether that is still done?
Old 13-10-2012, 12:23   #2339
ferretuk
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Unlimited FTTC
ferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpackferretuk has a very nice sixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
Maybe we should all go on the VM Forum and report these humps en masse. Be a tad difficult for VM to dismiss reports from all over the country and, with other members over there seeing what we report, it may set the ball moving for VM to have to have come clean about what appears to be an extremely widespread issue.

I was one of the earliest members on there when it was first set up and I have seen posts deleted in the past when they asked too many embarrassing questions but don't know whether that is still done?
See here and others...

The way the VM Community forum splits speed issues between tiers doesn't help present a wider view of course,
ferretuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 12:46   #2340
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

I am getting the same bumps off Guildford (Surrey). They started on the 1st October and were preceded by a 2 hour outage on the 29th September which is highly probably when my area was upgraded to double upload.

In the past (months ago) there were two national outages following changes in down and up channels when we went from 4 to 5 to 8 down and up to 2 up.

As a casual observation it does look as though changes in user configuration causes major network problems and hopefully these bumps are a short term deliberate effect until something can be sorted out. There will be all hell to pay if they become a regular feature because mass complaints will be evident if we all suffer prime time useless service.

I did not really notice the reduction in what was an excellent service because over the past few weeks I have been using BT Infinity for most of my internet work.

[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote