Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Windows Updates - Why does MS keep moving the goal posts?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Windows Updates - Why does MS keep moving the goal posts?

Old 22-07-2005, 16:55   #1
Theodoric
Inactive

Theodoric has reached the bronze age
Theodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze ageTheodoric has reached the bronze age
Windows Updates - Why does MS keep moving the goal posts?

A week or so ago I decided to make a serious attempt to get up to date with my Windows updates. I go to the MS update site and find that I am now required to install a piece of software in order to download any updates. So, I download this and run a few updates.

I attempted to continue the downloads today and got a message that said I couldn't do this until I ran services.msc and started Automatic Updates, BITS and the Event Log. Well, I did this and it graciously allowed me to carry on downloading and installing.

What is MS up to; this making life more complicated every few weeks? Are there future complications in the pipeline.

And a couple of other points.

I noticed that one or two of the updates were labelled as zero size because they had been downloaded and were awaiting installation. I don't remember downloading them.

Just to confuse the likes of me, it would seem that the Automatic Downloads service is not the same as the Automatic Downloads in the Security Centre (I have it switched off).
Theodoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 23-07-2005, 00:19   #2
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Windows Updates - Why does MS keep moving the goal posts?

part way to the nanny zone where ms control all our PCs and auto call-home on what's on them... /me thinking of going linux.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 01:47   #3
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

I have it disabled on mine and I only enable it when I wish to update.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 02:29   #4
Tristan
Inactive

Services: Telewest DTV & 4Meg BB (Bath), NTL DTV and 2Meg BB (Poole)
Tristan has reached the bronze age
Tristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze ageTristan has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by nffc
part way to the nanny zone where ms control all our PCs and auto call-home on what's on them... /me thinking of going linux.
Download the Ubuntu Live CD. It's a great way to see if you'll like Linux without actually having to install anything on your PC. If you like it, you can then download the install CD. There's also a DVD with both the live version and the install data. Get everything here:

http://ubuntu.hands.com/releases/5.04/

(x86, x86_64 and PPC versions are available).
Tristan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 11:24   #5
ntl customer
Inactive

Services: Weddings, christenings, barmitzvahs and funerals.
ntl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond reputentl customer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxodriver
I have it disabled on mine and I only enable it when I wish to update.
Et moi.

I will update only when I want to update. Not when my computer or when BillyG wants to.

If there's one thing that irks me about the current WU system is for it to even work (and not chuck up that 0x000blahblah message on screen) the BITS/Event Log/Automatic updates service must all be on automatic. Why? Isn't manual not good enough for you, Microsoft?
ntl customer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 15:54   #6
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

afaik there is a manual option.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 16:09   #7
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
afaik there is a manual option.
it not work though.

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 17:24   #8
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

BITS, at least, can be left on Manual, & WU will still work.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2005, 21:21   #9
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze

works for me, goto control panel - system - windows updates and choose the bottom option it wont even prompt you when updates are available.

I personally choose the 3rd option where it tells you when updates available but doesnt download and install them.
Old 24-07-2005, 00:10   #10
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrysalis
works for me, goto control panel - system - windows updates and choose the bottom option it wont even prompt you when updates are available.

I personally choose the 3rd option where it tells you when updates available but doesnt download and install them.

As mentioned earlier, it's the Automatic Updates *service* which must be enabled to allow the use of Windows Update. 'Tis separate to the Automatic Updates bit under "System" (& also in the Control Panel).

Yep, you can turn off Automatic Updates as you have, & still use Windows Update.

But, if you turn off the Automatic Updates service (Start>Run>services.msc or Start>Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services), not only does it prevent the use of Auto Updates - it also prevents manual use of Windows Update.
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2005, 01:14   #11
Nikko
Inactive

Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal
Nikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appealNikko has a bronzed appeal

I took an optional (non critical) update last week for sync. for the pocket PC drivers etc.

Then I noticed I had to reboot the router to get a net connection every session, altho 2 other desktops on the LAN were fine.

So when I had time I had a delve, only to find that the update to windows media had helpfully changed settings and fully enabled XP firewall and blocked everything!
Nikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2005, 00:39   #12
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D
As mentioned earlier, it's the Automatic Updates *service* which must be enabled to allow the use of Windows Update. 'Tis separate to the Automatic Updates bit under "System" (& also in the Control Panel).

Yep, you can turn off Automatic Updates as you have, & still use Windows Update.

But, if you turn off the Automatic Updates service (Start>Run>services.msc or Start>Control Panel> Administrative Tools> Services), not only does it prevent the use of Auto Updates - it also prevents manual use of Windows Update.
thats correct, in that case you would enable it just before going to winupdate site and then redisable it after.
Old 25-07-2005, 01:54   #13
Strzelecki
Inactive

Services: 80/20Mbps FTTC on Freeola
Strzelecki has reached the bronze age
Strzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze ageStrzelecki has reached the bronze age

You might be interested in http://www.autopatcher.com/
The chap who makes it gethers all the Windows updates and regularly puts them into one nice program package, ok so it won't be quite as up to date as using windows update but it can be more convenient and dead handy for making your own unattended XP setups.
Strzelecki is offline   Reply With Quote