Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 14:28   #706
none
Inactive

none is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nicenone is just really nice
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Detailed interview with Kent Ertegrul posted on The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...gess_ertegrul/

Does it put your mind at rest? not on your nelly!
Advertisement
Old 07-03-2008, 14:28   #707
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
Actually no. No Phorm data is collected from pages served over HTTPS. If any user is daft enough to enter financial data over a standard port 80 connection, they really ought not to be using the Internet.
Hey Toto i will not have to worry. I will not be using VM for my broadband when this Spyware is forced on us.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 07-03-2008, 14:34   #708
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

when i read this FBI story
http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...-whoever-likes

"internet spying rules
Oops, we did it again

By INQUIRER Newsdesk: Friday, 07 March 2008, 10:48 AM

SNOOPS AT THE FBI have admitted they repeatedly break their own rules about spying on the internet.

For the fourth year running, FBI director Robert Mueller said the agency reguilarly goes beyond its legal limits to collect information on people's emails and web wibbling.

In an interesting twist, Mueller tried to claim that this wasn't really the FBI's fault. The telcoms companies the snoops roped in on the cunning plan kept providing "too much information", he said.

"We are committed to ensuring that we not only get this right, but maintain the vital trust of the American people," he said.
"
i have to wonder..., replace FBI with tech Phorm comments all over the place such as
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/34501464-post602.html
"Each ISP will choose how they best offer this to their customers. I know the boards are fully of healthy skepticism ...."

its clear the implication is , its the ISPs fault not Phorms if this all goes titsup as it were...
Old 07-03-2008, 14:39   #709
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Well they have answerd the question in a round about way.
Quote:
Ok, so if I'm opted out, data passes straight between me and the website I'm visiting? It doesn't enter Phorm's systems at all?

MB: What happens is that the data is still mirrored to the profiler but the data digest is never made and the rest of the chain never occurs. It ought to be said that the profiler is operated by the ISP, not us.
So Virgin Media will still have the data to do with as they wish. So the OPT OUT is in fact a red herring and a blatant LIE

The decision as to OPT IN OPT OUT has been made also.

Quote:
It'll be automatically switched on then?

KE: The conversation over opt-in/opt-out is blurred by the one about transparency. They want to always be aware about whether something is on or off.

So we're going to do something unprecedented, and you'll never see this anywhere. Which is, as they continue to browse periodically you're going to see in an ad space "Webwise is on" or "Webwise is off", so it's more like a feature. Frankly, it's bad business to have people feel like something is being forced on them. Google stores everything you search, but it never says, "look, by the way we're storing all this and we keep it for a year".

This is not about a bunch of flim-flam artists trying to push something on the public. We couldn't do that. It would be stillborn if we even tried. We're very happy to talk about how everything works and what it means.
So to cut out the spin. Yes its on and we will tell you its on. ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Old 07-03-2008, 14:48   #710
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

it would seem then, that it comes under the "... processed for limited purposes;; adequate, relevant and not excessive; ..." part of the DPA, no matter were its being done, its far outside all of these requirements.
Old 07-03-2008, 14:50   #711
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
Detailed interview with Kent Ertegrul posted on The Register - http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...gess_ertegrul/

Does it put your mind at rest? not on your nelly!
This opted out business is becoming more hmmm - So nothing is sent to Phorm but its still going to the profiling at the ISP side... Erm why if you have opted out?
Old 07-03-2008, 15:03   #712
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

KE: Net neutrality is fascinating. Basically, the websites are at opposite ends of the discussion. What Phorm does is make the ISP the greatest partner a website can have. We think this resolves the tension between websites and ISPs that is the function of net neutrality. It brings both onto the same side.

We're very optimistic in the US
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...gess_ertegrul/

So, the long term goal of Phorm is Net Neutrality. It is well know that some would like to see the internet controlled somehow, companies such as Phorm using their technology can take this process forward.
Websites and users not opted-in to Phorm will have their connection throttled by the ISP, those that opt-in will not, in the end, only those websites that opt-in will manage to survive, of course you will have to adhere to their polices, which could mean no criticism of Governments/Companies ect.. which have signed up to Phorm.
Old 07-03-2008, 15:04   #713
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal
Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
Toto we only have their word for this and this is a companyn with a history that isn't what I would trust my life with. Going of their past record would rather continue to protect my privacy my way.
Of course its your right to handle your own privacy and security. I am only reporting on what I know. I don't like this system at all, and in the field of my expertise it is very concerning.
Old 07-03-2008, 15:09   #714
popper
Inactive

its obvious they are now trying to cover their rear's when this was stated 'It ought to be said that the profiler is operated by the ISP, not us.".

the profiler is owned by Phorm, and as their property, its their legal responseability, and so they are still receaving/processing data unauthorised.
Old 07-03-2008, 15:11   #715
Toto
Inactive

Toto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appealToto has a bronzed appeal

Can I respectully suggest to those who have not done so, too feedback your concerns to virginmedia.feedback newsgroup. The thread subject is called "VM Webise details".

The newsgroup can only be accessed by VM customers.

The more responses they get, the better the arguments will get across.

This is not to say this thread is not beneficial, it very much is in my opinion, but there are other more direct routes to the management in VM.
Old 07-03-2008, 15:27   #716
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Here's a point. They say they reject numbers over 3 digits. That is a hell of a lot of cvs security numbers they will have from the back of credit cards.
Well two things here. 1. If you are sending your CC number on a site with no security cert both they and you deserve what is coming. An SSL cert is cheap.
2. Why store any numbers? What can a 3 digit number tell about your browsing habits unless they are looking for 420 to market drugs to you? About the only 3 digit number I can think of with marketing possibilities.
Old 07-03-2008, 15:31   #717
smeagoly1
Inactive

Services: Bugger all now apart from 8meg ADSL and only 2 meg at best!!!! I want my 20meg cable back!
smeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nicesmeagoly1 is just really nice

If VM go ahead against the flow of opinion then they can be shown my middle finger
Old 07-03-2008, 15:58   #718
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads

what I cant understand is why VM is out to self destruct its business.

Its clear many will leave. They just had good figures and some idiot in an office decide to screw its customers great management there.

Think also if they go ahead why he heck cant opt out be done with the mac address rather than some stupid Cookie idea.

Surely its upto VM to properly openly use a system which completely blocks those who wish NOT to HAVE PHORM.

Why the heck has PHORM got stealth adverts system if its not an abuse system. I think its so we dont know we still being monitored even though we opted out. There is no logic to silent adverts other than to deceive.

If there was no hidden adverts and all signed up and it was blocked by mac address I would sleep easier when using my credit card.

This current system and its opt out is dodgy as hell. I even got a conspiracy that the government wont do jack all.

They want us to stop using credit cards and they dont like us using places like play.com.

So if there is a fear factor that online purchase are going to be more unsafe we will stop buying online.

Finally I am starting to feel this country is now being run by the KGB. With this and this ID card all the cameras etc has the KGB took over parliment.
Old 07-03-2008, 16:24   #719
Toto
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
what I cant understand is why VM is out to self destruct its business.
Me neither.

Quote:
Its clear many will leave. They just had good figures and some idiot in an office decide to screw its customers great management there.
A risk they will have to quantify. E.g. Subscriber chrun over advertising revenue.

Quote:
Think also if they go ahead why he heck cant opt out be done with the mac address rather than some stupid Cookie idea.
An interesting idea, wonder what additonal HTTP overhead this would cause, that an additional network technology.

Quote:
Surely its upto VM to properly openly use a system which completely blocks those who wish NOT to HAVE PHORM.
Yes absolutely

Quote:
This current system and its opt out is dodgy as hell. I even got a conspiracy that the government wont do jack all.
Dodgy certainly, and some conspiracy theories should come wrapped in tin foil.

Quote:
They want us to stop using credit cards and they dont like us using places like play.com.
oooo kaaayyyyy

Quote:
So if there is a fear factor that online purchase are going to be more unsafe we will stop buying online.
We?, speak for yourself.

Quote:
Finally I am starting to feel this country is now being run by the KGB. With this and this ID card all the cameras etc has the KGB took over parliment.
. That's comrade Toto to you brother.
Old 07-03-2008, 16:26   #720
PhormUKPRteam
Inactive

PhormUKPRteam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
I work on behalf of Phorm here in the UK. Many of you may already have seen it but of not there is a transcript of last nights live interview with Phorm's CEO at http://www.webwise.com/chat as well as a Q&A session at http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...rgess_ertegrul
Rgds
PhormUktechteam
Closed Thread