Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 24-03-2008, 17:00   #1696
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
Phorm Comms Team is at it again. This time on the OIX supporting grauniad:

http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/...omment-1221420
Love the arguement. If I send a mail to a gmail account... Well by sending the email to a gmail account I am consenting for gmail to read that mail. By my friend recieving that mail and reading it there I they are consenting. And well the mail itself contains personally identifiable information such as my email address and a conversation. V.Strange analagy IMHO.
Advertisement
Old 24-03-2008, 17:14   #1697
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman View Post
Love the arguement. If I send a mail to a gmail account... Well by sending the email to a gmail account I am consenting for gmail to read that mail. By my friend recieving that mail and reading it there I they are consenting. And well the mail itself contains personally identifiable information such as my email address and a conversation. V.Strange analagy IMHO.

Not only that but there are two key issues they are missing regarding use of gmail, google search engine and other services like it:

1) Choice. People have a clear choice. We can choose whether to use their email in full knowledge of what they are doing. Its easy to spread around your browsing in other search engines so that no one company or search engine gets to see the totality of what we do. Changing Internet Provider is not so easy and in some cases, such as in rural areas, just isnt feasible at all.

2) Quid Pro Quo If I allow google to profile me via using gmail I am actually receiving a useful service in return. I get large storage and the convenience of easy to use web based email.

There is absolutely no quid pro quo with Phorm and their webwise. "Relevant and targetted ads" arent a benefit to me as I ignore online ads. If I want to buy something online then I will go look for it myself, thank you very much. Secondly, the much spun "antiphishing" technology is nothing that isnt already available in IE7 and Firefox.

On another point I am getting really peeved with the Phorm spin that this is somehow an advancement in privacy because they are at least trying to anonymise data. They point their fingers at google and say look what they are doing. They store data blah blah. To use an analogy, it just makes me think of two peeping-toms peeking into someones house and one (Phorm) points to the other and says "Look how bad HE is. Hes snooping with both eyes open. We only snoop with one of our eyes open."
Old 24-03-2008, 17:28   #1698
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Another example of advertisers over-stepping their bounds. Presumably, those poor Chinese customers weren't offered a proper opt-out either...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7311242.stm

The mobile company affected has said it will block adverts from 7 advertising companies involved.

A Chinese government official has been quoted as saying ""We urge parties concerned to beef up self-scrutiny to correct their wrongdoing, which is profit driven in defiance of public interests"

It's a sad day when the Chinese government speaks out for it's citizens' privacy more than the UK government sticks up for ours. (are you listening, Virgin Media?)
Old 24-03-2008, 17:37   #1699
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Phorm Comms Team has returned to the wordpress site again:

http://understrictembargo.wordpress....-of-pr-crisis/
Old 24-03-2008, 18:09   #1700
flowrebmit
Inactive

Services: VM BB 10Mb XL & TV L
flowrebmit will become famous soon enoughflowrebmit will become famous soon enoughflowrebmit will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucevans View Post
The link to the Criminal Justice and Immigration Act bill is an interesting one - it demonstrates what I said in this forum weeks ago:

Namely, once the Phorm hardware is in place, it's perfectly possible for the government to introduce new legislation, or ammend existing statutes to allow them to, quite legally, use it to analyze all UK citizen's web traffic and pick up key words and images that they consider to be "undesirable" (much as GCHQ have been doing to telephone traffic for years, under court orders). The system can then be used to build a very different kind of profile on each of us; one which I very much doubt M15 would send us in the post upon request and payment of a £10 processing fee.

Now, whilst most of us would probably agree on some of the things on their list as undesirable (child abuse, terrorism, organized crime, fraud) we unfortunately have no control over what else they choose to identify as undesirable - political affiliation, trades union activism, NGO membership, religious allegiance, sexual preference.....
My understanding was that the RIPA (2000) was introduced so that the police state had sweeping powers to spy on us. I think it ironic that this Act might be a way of stopping Phorm.
Old 24-03-2008, 18:54   #1701
thebarron
Inactive

Services: VM 10mb, phone
thebarron is on a distinguished roadthebarron is on a distinguished road

Hi found this, worth a read if you have not seen it already.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3636559.stm
Old 24-03-2008, 19:03   #1702
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorm View Post
You access other servers on an unsecured line? Surely Phorm is the least of your worries!
I don't but I know many who do. I have lost count of the number of people I know using things like Plesk, phpmyadmin etc. over regular HTTP.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto View Post
It isn't live.

I know this for fact. You appear to have some other issue. It isn't live on BT or CWP either. BT are about to launch a test of the system, as are CWP. VM are no where near trialling the system.
So share your facts? I have seen half a dozen people now who have been told by VM CS that the system is live and there is no opt out. So if you have facts to the contrary as you state you do, please share them.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 18:03 ---------- Previous post was at 18:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Trust me i have been running test's on my connection for the last 3 weeks and there has been no sign what so ever of Phorm on my connection.

I will scream from the roof tops if i see it.
Your connection is one of millions. You have no evidence they are not testing this technology with some of their customers so please stop assuming you know all when in fact you don't.

If people have been told by VM customer services that Phorm is Live and has no opt out, you nor anyone else has the right to call them a liar.

Alexander Hanff
Old 24-03-2008, 19:04   #1703
OF1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
I don't but I know many who do. I have lost count of the number of people I know using things like Plesk, phpmyadmin etc. over regular HTTP.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 18:00 ---------- Previous post was at 17:56 ----------

So share your facts? I have seen half a dozen people now who have been told by VM CS that the system is live and there is no opt out. So if you have facts to the contrary as you state you do, please share them.

Alexander Hanff
Half a dozen? Ok thats worrying. Surely even VM cant be stupid enough to go live with this without consent, without an opt-out?
Old 24-03-2008, 19:23   #1704
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Phorm Comms Team has returned to the wordpress site again:

http://understrictembargo.wordpress....-of-pr-crisis/
Wonder if the Phorm Comms Team will pay any attention to Daljit's next Phorm related blog entry...

http://understrictembargo.wordpress....e-phorm-storm/

States the obvious really, especially the last paragraph - but maybe Virgin Media don't understand that...
Old 24-03-2008, 19:27   #1705
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeticatcher View Post
Customer services, when challenged about this pointed me in the direction of webwise.com and have stated they do not have any method of opting out at present.... could be interesting...
1) Phorm appears to be live
2) Virgin do not appear to have notified the customer base about this
3) No revised T's & C's appear to be issued
4) They state they don't have an opt out
Wicked!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Trust me i have been running test's on my connection for the last 3 weeks and there has been no sign what so ever of Phorm on my connection.
I will scream from the roof tops if i see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Looking back through the thread it's pretty obvious to me that it's CS's supposed statement that Sirius is doubting and the gullibility of YetiCatcher for accepting it.

I certainly wouldn't believe what VM CS state as fact when countless VM users are alert to it and hundreds of people running Dephormation haven't reported it.

Do you?
Old 24-03-2008, 19:28   #1706
piggy
Inactive

piggy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Half a dozen? Ok thats worrying. Surely even VM cant be stupid enough to go live with this without consent, without an opt-out?
i dont think virgin are stupid but isnt it in the t&c that trials/tests can be applied to the conx and also the pro-phorm people ie virgin/bt/cpwh are of the belief that this system is totally anonymose so no harm done!!
Old 24-03-2008, 19:30   #1707
rogerdraig
cf.mega poster

rogerdraig has reached the bronze age
rogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze agerogerdraig has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to rogerdraig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebarron View Post
Hi found this, worth a read if you have not seen it already.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3636559.stm
that is an interesting one
Old 24-03-2008, 19:37   #1708
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceedee View Post
Looking back through the thread it's pretty obvious to me that it's CS's supposed statement that Sirius is doubting and the gullibility of YetiCatcher for accepting it.

I certainly wouldn't believe what VM CS state as fact when countless VM users are alert to it and hundreds of people running Dephormation haven't reported it.

Do you?
I have a friend who works as a VM engineer and he is hitting a brick wall every time he asks questions about Phorm. He says it is not an isolated problem either, non of the engineers he knows have been able to get any info from the superiors about whether or not Phorm is already being tested. And he is not a nobody technician either, he is one of the people responsible for installing the upgrades VM are doing to a selected number of test customers with regards the next speed jump (50Mbit I think or something like that).

If VM won't even answer questions from their own engineers, how can anyone have confidence they are not already -at least- trying this technology? What do they have to hide from their own engineers?

I am becoming increasingly concerned that VM -are- actually running trials given the complete lack of public response to this issue and the number of customers who are being told by CS that it is already in use and there is no opt out.

I am not prepared to call anyone who has been told this by CS that they are liars or they are wrong and neither should anyone else given the very large shroud of secrecy surrounding this issue with VM at the moment.

Alexander Hanff
Old 24-03-2008, 19:39   #1709
OF1975
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by piggy View Post
i dont think virgin are stupid but isnt it in the t&c that trials/tests can be applied to the conx and also the pro-phorm people ie virgin/bt/cpwh are of the belief that this system is totally anonymose so no harm done!!
Just because BT/Virgin/CPWH believes its anonymous doesnt make it so and just because they believe it complies with RIPA doesnt make it so. Its up to a court to decide and I hope it gets tested in court really soon.

Correct me if I am wrong but didnt the Foundation for Information Policy Research, in their letter to the Information Commissioner Office ,argue that consumer consent was key and that a simple change to Terms and Conditions wouldnt be enough to comply with RIPA? Again would need to be something tested in court I reckon.
Old 24-03-2008, 19:51   #1710
flashpaul
Inactive

flashpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

If Phorm is live whats the best way of checking ?

Will dephormation alert me ?
Closed Thread