Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Question About Virgin Media and BT Infinity?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Question About Virgin Media and BT Infinity?

Old 03-04-2018, 21:11   #1
ethan103
cf.addict

Services: VM350, Sky Q Silver.
ethan103 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question About Virgin Media and BT Infinity?

I wanted to know, my home is relatively new (2.5 years old) and it has both VM and BT Infinity, now, do they share any infrasture or line connection whatsoever?

Or do they run completely separate and independent?
ethan103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2018, 21:13   #2
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age
Re: Question About Virgin Media and BT Infinity?

Totally different physical networks.

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 23:55   #3
ethan103
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Totally different physical networks.
Ok thank you, so having both services at my home wont make them cross talk or interfere with each other?
Old 04-04-2018, 00:27   #4
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array
jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan103 View Post
Ok thank you, so having both services at my home wont make them cross talk or interfere with each other?
No, they can overlap
jb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 00:51   #5
ethan103
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
No, they can overlap
How so?
Old 04-04-2018, 07:17   #6
jb66
cf.mega poster

jb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze arrayjb66 has a bronze array

Sorry I wasn't clear. They do not interfere with each other and you can overlap services. I.e have bt running while you have virgin installed so you have no downtime
Old 04-04-2018, 09:36   #7
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
No, they can overlap
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan103 View Post
How so?
he doesn't mean overlap as in interfere with one another, he means they can run simultaneously/alongside one another. They are completely different types of cable running to different street cabinets which won't be close to each other. The coax from VM will run under ground and your phone line for the Infinity will run over head on a pole. The only common point of intersection is your house so unless someone blows your house up you should never suffer from a loss of both services. Sometimes somebody (council/water board etc) digs up the road and cuts through a VM pipe by accident which will knock out your connection but it won't affect BT and likewise if there is a storm and a phone pole gets blown over it won't affect your VM connection.

I strongly recommend VM over BT. With VM there are no distance based speed restrictions so as long as you are in a cabled area the max speed available to your area (e.g. 200mbits) is what you will get. In contrast, BT/Openreach providers advertise e.g. 76mbits on Infinity 2 but it is all based on the distance to your local cabinet and as an example for me, the most I can get is 53mbits which pales in comparison to the 378 I get from VM.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 10:57   #8
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
he doesn't mean overlap as in interfere with one another, he means they can run simultaneously/alongside one another. They are completely different types of cable running to different street cabinets which won't be close to each other. The coax from VM will run under ground and your phone line for the Infinity will run over head on a pole. The only common point of intersection is your house so unless someone blows your house up you should never suffer from a loss of both services. Sometimes somebody (council/water board etc) digs up the road and cuts through a VM pipe by accident which will knock out your connection but it won't affect BT and likewise if there is a storm and a phone pole gets blown over it won't affect your VM connection.

I strongly recommend VM over BT. With VM there are no distance based speed restrictions so as long as you are in a cabled area the max speed available to your area (e.g. 200mbits) is what you will get. In contrast, BT/Openreach providers advertise e.g. 76mbits on Infinity 2 but it is all based on the distance to your local cabinet and as an example for me, the most I can get is 53mbits which pales in comparison to the 378 I get from VM.

This is all depends on your area. I'm fortunate enough to live in a area with both and close enough to cabinet for top sync.

Our 350 has several months out of the year where peak times it performs bad for even downloading just depends on the area. It's not quite as bad for congestion as it used to be back in Telewest days where congestion was never fixed but our headend has never been the best for performance.

The FTTC line from AAISP through BT's cabinet performs better for gaming not by just a slight amount but by a hell of a lot.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 12:16   #9
jb66
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalleh View Post
This is all depends on your area. I'm fortunate enough to live in a area with both and close enough to cabinet for top sync.

Our 350 has several months out of the year where peak times it performs bad for even downloading just depends on the area. It's not quite as bad for congestion as it used to be back in Telewest days where congestion was never fixed but our headend has never been the best for performance.

The FTTC line from AAISP through BT's cabinet performs better for gaming not by just a slight amount but by a hell of a lot.
It also costs a hell of alot too
Old 04-04-2018, 12:33   #10
kalleh
cf.addict

kalleh is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It also costs a hell of alot too

Don't think £60 a month is unreasonable for good internet. I spend a lot of time working online and in general using the internet and play alot of games online so I get my money's worth.

The VM Bundle has value aswell i guess with the TV option but in this term you get what you pay for.
kalleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 13:27   #11
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Don't think £60 a month is unreasonable for good internet.
Got to agree with that. I certainly wouldn't mind paying that as long as the service is top notch. Heck, I'm paying nearly that with Virgin now that the discount has finished, and at the moment, I certainly wouldn't call their service top notch, at least for around here. I'm just waiting for the contract to end with Virgin and then see who to go with then. AAISP are certainly a possibility, along with Zen. I'd even go with BT.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 12:24   #12
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Quote:
Don't think £60 a month is unreasonable for good internet. I spend a lot of time working online and in general using the internet and play alot of games online so I get my money's worth.

The VM Bundle has value aswell i guess with the TV option but in this term you get what you pay for.
AAISP are awesome but that £60 doesn't even get you unlimited data, it's 1TB a month.

At that cost I'd need a VM connection as well for "bulk data", steam games etc.

It's also about 1/5th of the speed of my VM connection that I pay £39 a month for.

I'd love for more ISPs to be like AAISP, hell if they offered unlimited for £60 a month I might even consider them (although I'd only get about 50mbit from them so maybe not) but you're comparing a rolls royce to a ford focus.

I do actually use AAISP for VoIP
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 18:19   #13
adduxi
cf.addict

adduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of lightadduxi is a glorious beacon of light

I have both BT and VM running simultaneously for work redundancy and it works great. Using a Draytek Vigor 2860 and 2 old Asus RT66's for wireless access. Link is always up and never any issues.
adduxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2018, 09:23   #14
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Ditto what adduxi said, except both routers are ASU’s RT-AC68U. I use the HG612 modem on the Infinity service, though the HomeHub 6 at my other house is a reasonable gateway if you don’t need full router facilities.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote