Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Film & Cinema

Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Old 30-10-2012, 23:03   #16
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, Star Wars Episode 7 due in 2015 & more after...

Maggy, try

Moon
Galaxy Quest
District 9
12 Monkeys
Primer
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 30-10-2012, 23:04   #17
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
I adore Science Fiction..but frankly most of the SF films produced at the moment are just plain total tat..full of 2 dimensional people and all about special effects.

I tend to be serious about my SF and I don't actually read any comic books and frankly the science in them is crap.However this is what seems to be leading the SF film market.That and endlessly franchised crap.

The last really good SF film that had any real worth was Gattaca..it did what SF is suppose to do.It explored ideas and shunned action.Dialogue and plot were all and the acting was superb.But then a film with Jude Law,Ethan Hawke would bound to have good acting.What's more it's a believable just possible futuristic view of a future world.

Sadly I cannot see how a 7th film of a increasingly ridiculous franchise with be really worth making let alone viewing especially if cutesy wutesy Disney are involved.

Don't get me wrong I loved Star Wars and Star Trek but I have grown up and I now want some really good SF.I am fed up with Hollywood milking the continuous franchises and spin offs and reboots.

I want something NEW. And thank heavens there was NEVER a Blade Runner 2...
The book first thought of as Science Fiction was John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and that was action

Also sorry to say they are making Bladerunner 2
Old 30-10-2012, 23:07   #18
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilligaf1701 View Post
Yet . Blade runner two is in development.
At least it was never actually like the book..Funny how every attempt at a Philip K Dick book has never worked..but that's because Hollywood moguls think SF is crapola anyway and don't care to treat it as they would a Jane Austen or Shakespeare.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizmeinnit View Post
The book first thought of as Science Fiction was John Carter of Mars written by Edgar Rice Burroughs and that was action

Also sorry to say they are making Bladerunner 2
The science was crap and so were the books.
Old 30-10-2012, 23:12   #19
tizmeinnit

Quote:
At least it was never actually like the book..Funny how every attempt at a Philip K Dick book has never worked..but that's because Hollywood moguls think SF is crapola anyway and don't care to treat it as they would a Jane Austen or Shakespeare.

---------- Post added at 22:07 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

The science was crap and so were the books.
Ive just had my belief structure wrecked. Now I love Bladerunner and I think it is easily one of the best films ever made and I am sure I saw all versions but I just read an interview where Ridley Scott says Deckard was a Nexus 6. Now I never got that from the films maybe I should have read the book
Old 30-10-2012, 23:21   #20
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Ive just had my belief structure wrecked. Now I love Bladerunner and I think it is easily one of the best films ever made and I am sure I saw all versions but I just read an interview where Ridley Scott says Deckard was a Nexus 6. Now I never got that from the films maybe I should have read the book
The book is nothing like the film.But then Minority Report and Total Recall are nothing like the books.
Old 31-10-2012, 00:19   #21
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Do you honestly think they will make a grown up Star Wars? I doubt it but I hope they do
TBH, I don't think they will. I was just making the point that Disney don't necessarily make family friendly films.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 01:26   #22
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
Well,he is staying on as a creative consultant
So long as he is not writing or directing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
The three 'new' SW films were dire. Why make more? The originals have never been, and never will be improved upon.
The three prequels were dire because Lucas did it all himself, with shoddy writing and excessive CGI.

I read a while back that his ex-wife was allegedly an important part of the original trilogy, as she provided a reality check of sorts. With her gone when the prequels were made, and with Lucas writing and directing all three himself instead of letting others be involved, there was no one there anymore to say "Actually, George, that's a really stupid idea...".

Why make more? Money, of course It's a ridiculously enormous franchise.

Will they be better than the originals? Probably not, but who knows... Depends on who writes and directs, and how free they are of Lucas' influence.

I can't see them being as bad as the prequels, though.

I actually have faith in Disney for these, given how well it has handled the Marvel franchise. Just a pity Joss Whedon will be tied up with The Avengers... I'd love a Whedonised Star Wars...

Plenty of other directors though who I think could give it a good shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Maggy, try

Moon
Galaxy Quest
District 9
12 Monkeys
Primer
Good list

I'd also add Looper.

---------- Post added at 00:26 ---------- Previous post was at 00:21 ----------

Oh, and something I mentioned elsewhere earlier... I would really *love* it if this meant that we may finally get the *Original* trilogy on Blu-ray. I can dream...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 06:23   #23
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
I adore Science Fiction..but frankly most of the SF films produced at the moment are just plain total tat..full of 2 dimensional people and all about special effects.

I tend to be serious about my SF and I don't actually read any comic books and frankly the science in them is crap.However this is what seems to be leading the SF film market.That and endlessly franchised crap.

The last really good SF film that had any real worth was Gattaca..it did what SF is suppose to do.It explored ideas and shunned action.Dialogue and plot were all and the acting was superb.But then a film with Jude Law,Ethan Hawke would bound to have good acting.What's more it's a believable just possible futuristic view of a future world.

Sadly I cannot see how a 7th film of a increasingly ridiculous franchise with be really worth making let alone viewing especially if cutesy wutesy Disney are involved.

Don't get me wrong I loved Star Wars and Star Trek but I have grown up and I now want some really good SF.I am fed up with Hollywood milking the continuous franchises and spin offs and reboots.

Don't bet on it Maggy because as several posters have said anything that can make a fast buck is vulnerable to either a prequel, sequel or remake these days.
Old 31-10-2012, 07:45   #24
Mr_love_monkey
Inactive

Services: Sarcasm
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars
Mr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny starsMr_love_monkey has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
All 6 Star Wars films films were rated U by the BBFC. Are you expecting Disney to change that?
No they weren't.....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Star-Wars-Ep...665901&sr=8-10
Mr_love_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 09:17   #25
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:

What always makes me laugh about "adults" that review Star Wars films and then have a go a them for not being gritty enough etc.etc.etc.

Is that the Star Wars films are for kids, and are squarely aimed at kids, and George Lucas has repeatedly emphasised that is what they are about.

They were supposed to be a return to Sat morning kids adventures like Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers.

If you want dark gritty sci-fi, see Prometheus or Sci-fi that makes you think see Source Code.

The reason the prequels got panned is because all the 8 -12years olds that watched the original trilogy were now all in their late 30's and couldn't differentiate anymore.

Although they had their flaws, as did the original trilogy, I thought the prequels were good fun.

I look forward to the new films.

---------- Post added at 08:17 ---------- Previous post was at 08:16 ----------

Quote:
Unicorn?
Old 31-10-2012, 09:18   #26
tizmeinnit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
What always makes me laugh about "adults" that review Star Wars films and then have a go a them for not being gritty enough etc.etc.etc.

Is that the Star Wars films are for kids, and are squarely aimed at kids, and George Lucas has repeatedly emphasised that is what they are about.

They were supposed to be a return to Sat morning kids adventures like Flash Gordan and Buck Rogers.

If you want dark gritty sci-fi, see Prometheus or Sci-fi that makes you think see Source Code.

The reason the prequels got panned is because all the 8 -12years olds that watched the original trilogy were now all in their late 30's and couldn't differentiate anymore.

Although they had their flaws, as did the original trilogy, I thought the prequels were good fun.

Unicorn?

I disagree they were family movies

The Unicorn left by Gaff was pointed out to me last night and also the collection of photos he had collected. I think I lost focus thinking to much about Rachael and if she had a fixed lifespan or not the Unicorn was lost on me
Old 31-10-2012, 09:27   #27
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Unicorn?
As usual you have entirely failed to see my point.I dislike the way SF is handled by Hollywood as only being for children..and only aiming for the lowest common denominator..This is shown by the way we get 'trilogies' and prequels and franchising of what once was a very good premise.

Another example of an excellent SF film is the Andromeda Strain..again devoid of overpowering FX..mainly because at the time of it's making there was a nice lack of FX. I'm just wanting a well written thoughtful SF film that truly explores the human mind/condition which is what SF can do very well without the whizzbang effects much of today's SF films..

Also it wasn't me who was talking about gritty films.But practically all the SF coming out of Hollywood is just plain mush for undemanding minds.
Old 31-10-2012, 09:33   #28
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I disagree they were family movies
Here's a good piece on Star Wars Childrens movie angle

http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk/re...apter.php?id=9

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

Quote:
As usual you have entirely failed to see my point.I dislike the way SF is handled by Hollywood as only being for children..and only aiming for the lowest common denominator..This is shown by the way we get 'trilogies' and prequels and franchising of what once was a very good premise.

Another example of an excellent SF film is the Andromeda Strain..again devoid of overpowering FX..mainly because at the time of it's making there was a nice lack of FX. I'm just wanting a well written thoughtful SF film that truly explores the human mind/condition which is what SF can do very well without the whizzbang effects much of today's SF films..

Also it wasn't me who was talking about gritty films.But practically all the SF coming out of Hollywood is just plain mush for undemanding minds.
Well in a thread about Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale aimed at kids, I think your point is misplaced.
Old 31-10-2012, 09:48   #29
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Will they be better than the originals? Probably not, but who knows... Depends on who writes and directs, and how free they are of Lucas' influence.
Paramount gave Gene Roddenberry an executive position which AFAIK he held throughout production of all the movies and Next Gen TV episodes until he died. He seems to have spent a lot of time firing off angry memos about how they were ruining the franchise. Paramount seems to have spent a lot of time ignoring him.

If Disney does likewise with George they won't go far wrong.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 09:57   #30
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
Here's a good piece on Star Wars Childrens movie angle

http://www.scope.nottingham.ac.uk/re...apter.php?id=9

---------- Post added at 08:33 ---------- Previous post was at 08:28 ----------

Well in a thread about Star Wars, which is basically a fairy tale aimed at kids, I think your point is misplaced.
No it isn't.I'm entirely correct to raise my dislike of the way Hollywood handles SF films in a thread about how yet again the film companies are screwing over a franchise that should have died a death years ago.