Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Old 29-09-2020, 12:36   #16
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice
Re: Virgin testing 2.2 Gbps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
It’s not a product. 2G won’t be offered for god knows when. It was an exercise to prove that 2G is capable on the HFC network to be rolled when ready.

I wouldn’t expect 2G to be available for a couple of years at least, probably more. More than enough time to for new hardware to rolled out.

Of course it can’t, i don’t understand what you’re getting upset about. 10G when lands could be a decade away.
I mean, you said "the equipment they have rolled out is 10G capable", when the hub 4 definitely isn't.

I'm not upset, I can't even get Gig1 here in Ipswich yet, and it seems that CityFibre may arrive before Gig1, in which case I'll be jumping ship anyway.

My point was only really that the usual practice for VM, seems to be that a gateway launches with a speed tier that is then significantly upgraded over the course of it's service life. E.g. when the Hub 3.0 launched, the top tier was 200mbit. It seems it will finish it's life delivering 600mbit, a 3x uplift.

I don't think with the port limitations the Hub 4.0 is in any way a suitable device for 3Gbit, a 3x uplift from the launch speed, given that it can't actually deliver the full provisioned speed of it's launch tier over Ethernet.

They may have history with Arris, but even Arris have say the SB8200 which supports link aggregation.

The hub 4.0 is a flawed and short sighted product with a limited shelf life imo.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 29-09-2020, 12:40   #17
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtho782 View Post
They may have history with Arris, but even Arris have say the SB8200 which supports link aggregation.
That doesn't include the Telco ports required by Liberty Global for their products.
Old 29-09-2020, 13:01   #18
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Captain here... People need to stop worrying about CPE. If a 2G+ tier launches then there will be equipment launched to support it. Multi gig is in its infancy and that's mainly due to CPE support, you will struggle to find even a third party device that can handle these speeds especially over wireless. We are doing lots of testing in this field now so no doubt there will be more press releases about speed tiers in the near future

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 13:13   #19
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

Will be interesting to see what VM do. I feel like there will be a Hub 4.1 or 5.0 much quicker than usual, with some form of multigig, maybe based on the TG9442.

I don't think wireless will be the driver for multigig speeds myself, and there is plenty of kit about that can handle such speeds over a cable. We've had many times in history where cable providers have offered speeds that can only realistically and reliably be maintained over a cable, and even today I'd be surprised if many people managed to achieve 500mbit down on a superhub 3.0 in anything but the same room.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:21   #20
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Services: Vodafone/City Fibre Gigafast 900
roughbeast has reached the bronze age
roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

I am already on the 1Gb service. Indeed the service will test at 1.1Gb using the onboard Samknows test device. It is not designed to deliver that speed to any one device or through any one ethernet port or one wifi connection. It is designed to provide the possibility of using all that available broadband through multiple ports, i.e. two or more speed-hungry devices using two or more 1gb ethernet ports / wifi connections. I guess a 2.2Gb service, if it is a serious proposal, could be fully used the same way.

In reality, only large premises with multiple speed-hungry users, would really need this. Schools and multiple-user business premises already have 10Gb PON connections, with all that bandwidth being delivered through multiple ports.

Last edited by roughbeast; 01-10-2020 at 05:31.
roughbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:22   #21
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughbeast View Post
It is designed to provide the possibility of using all that available broadband through multiple ports, i.e. two or more speed-hungry devices using two or more 1gb ethernet ports / wifi connections. I guess a 2.2Gb service, if it is a serious proposal, could be fully used the same way.
This precludes modem mode, I feel like anyone who actually sprung for 2.2gb would be highly likely to be wanting to run their own router/firewall

Quote:
In reality, only large premises with multiple speed-hungry users, would really need this. Schools and multiple-user business premises already have 10Gb PON connections, with all that bandwidth being delivered through multiple ports.
I'd pay for it if it were available to me, my router has an SFP+ WAN and LAN port (Unifi UDM-Pro) and my two main devices are connected via 10G, so could utilise it on one device.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:10   #22
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Given the 1G limitation this is pointless.

The test is likely for two things. First, it probably is for bragging rights. Second. Vm have a large amount of network infrastructure that is likely to remain in service for years. They need to ensure that equipment is able to handle not only their current needs, but their future needs. Tests like this are one way of doing that.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:48   #23
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

roughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze ageroughbeast has reached the bronze age

Quote:
This precludes modem mode, I feel like anyone who actually sprung for 2.2gb would be highly likely to be wanting to run their own router/firewall

Agreed, except those very same enthusiasts would want to ensure that their router is capable of WAN aggregation and has the necessary WAN to LAN throughput capability. A modem delivering 2.2Gb would have to support aggregation too. I would imagine that any roll out of such a service is a considerable way off, plenty time for VM to consider an appropriate modem and, indeed, for affordable router technology to catch up. The GT-AX11000 has a 2.5Gb ethernet port, so that's not such a big step.
Old 02-10-2020, 07:56   #24
rtho782
cf.addict

Quote:
Agreed, except those very same enthusiasts would want to ensure that their router is capable of WAN aggregation and has the necessary WAN to LAN throughput capability. A modem delivering 2.2Gb would have to support aggregation too. I would imagine that any roll out of such a service is a considerable way off, plenty time for VM to consider an appropriate modem and, indeed, for affordable router technology to catch up. The GT-AX11000 has a 2.5Gb ethernet port, so that's not such a big step.
Yes, but this gets back to my point, the Hub 4.0 is of limited life as it doesn't support aggregation or 10GBe.

Personally my router does support 10GBe but not aggregation, although I guess if I had to I could put a 10GBe switch that did aggregation in the middle.

Aggregation is a poor way of doing it vs faster links.
Old 02-10-2020, 08:55   #25
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

It depends what you mean by limited life.

It's always the case the the new kit that is released for the top tiers filters down to be standard kit and is replaced for the top tier by new kit.

Happened with all of the SuperHubs and Hub 3. So it will happen with the Hub 4. The only exception that I can remember was the the standalone D3 modem. By the time the lower tiers were put onto D3 then the SuperHub 1 was available (may be misremembering my timelines a bit though)

So the Hub 4 hardware will be around for a while.
Old 02-10-2020, 10:58   #26
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Yes, but this gets back to my point, the Hub 4.0 is of limited life as it doesn't support aggregation or 10GBe.
VM won't provide a modem which supports aggregation until they seriously go for a 2.2 or a 1.6Gb service. Right now, my GT-AX11000 delivers 945Mb to me. The full 1.1GB would be nice, using two modem ports instead of one, but VMs calculation is that it isn't worth upgrading to make that small difference. Hub 4 will stay until they see the need.
Old 08-08-2021, 23:07   #27
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
VM won't provide a modem which supports aggregation until they seriously go for a 2.2 or a 1.6Gb service. Right now, my GT-AX11000 delivers 945Mb to me. The full 1.1GB would be nice, using two modem ports instead of one, but VMs calculation is that it isn't worth upgrading to make that small difference. Hub 4 will stay until they see the need.
Just came across this post when looking for something else, appreciate it is getting on a bit and there might have been a more recent post.

The SH4 does support round-robin aggregation and has done pretty much since early on in the lifecycle. I have it running in Modem Only mode (also works in normal mode) with two connections to my router. This allows speeds of up to around 1.15Gbps and for example Steam downloads hitting sustained 140MB/s.

Nice not to be losing ~250Mbps compared to just gigabit
ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 20:50   #28
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Already Hub 4 dishes out almost 1.2Gb for those on the Oomph deal, but over more than one Gb port at a time. Surely, the principle of sharing 2.2Gb over a number of 1Gb ports is no different than what we have now. Admittedly this is only for larger households with data-hungry users, but surely it is a viable product.
Old 10-08-2021, 21:04   #29
ChuckVader
cf.member

ChuckVader is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Already Hub 4 dishes out almost 1.2Gb for those on the Oomph deal, but over more than one Gb port at a time. Surely, the principle of sharing 2.2Gb over a number of 1Gb ports is no different than what we have now. Admittedly this is only for larger households with data-hungry users, but surely it is a viable product.
Most users at that speed will want to use it with their own router. Unless you use aggregation of two or more ports then you will only get up to around 930Mbps or so losing out on 200Mbps or ~25% of the actual speed.
ChuckVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2021, 21:32   #30
roughbeast
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckVader View Post
Most users at that speed will want to use it with their own router. Unless you use aggregation of two or more ports then you will only get up to around 930Mbps or so losing out on 200Mbps or ~25% of the actual speed.
I don't know if you are right about this or not. No matter how techy someone is, unless they have a need for 2.2Gb available bandwidth surely they won't waste their cash on it. To me the most likely customers are a large family with teens etc or a student household. Having said that I wouldn't expect massive take up in the first instance.