Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nintendo DS

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nintendo DS

Old 15-12-2007, 09:54   #16
bleats
Inactive

bleats is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Nintendo DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKing View Post
We got ours from a mate who went to New York a few weeks back - had to buy a new power cord, but IIRC it was still cheaper overall and works fine.

It is like crack, although not for me - either my partner will be doing brain training on it or my son will be bringing it to me and forcing me to do trivial maths problems or drawing a racing car on it. Technologically very impressive.
Do the games still work the same with the imported ones, or is it like the PS2/Xbox regional encoding saga we have all got to know and hate? The reason I ask is that I am off to the States after Xmas, and was thinking about doing the same thing....
bleats is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-12-2007, 10:02   #17
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

the games are region free.
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2007, 14:29   #18
KaySquirrel
Inactive

Services: I use BT blinkenlights now!
KaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these partsKaySquirrel is just so famous around these parts

I play Animal Crossing: Wild World a lot, and Mario Kart every once in a while. (In fact, anyone who plays MarioKart on wifi, feel free to PM me for my friend code if you like -- always more fun to wifi with someone you "know" than waiting for random players!)

Hubby likes the Brain Training games, and has been obsessed with Legend of Zelda (Phantom Hourglass I think? I haven't played it) for the past week or so.
KaySquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 23:13   #19
Duke
Inactive

Duke will become famous soon enoughDuke will become famous soon enoughDuke will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Duke Send a message via MSN to Duke

Just bought a DS for my sister and got the games worms and sims 2. I had a go, and I am hooked on the thing, might just keep it for myself .

Great piece of kit, might just buy one or two more. Nintendo are really doing well, they are being very innovative. DS is the best selling hand held and the Wii is the best selling console. I am a hardcore gamer but I love this "casual" gaming also.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2007, 23:47   #20
greencreeper
Inactive

Services: Email me for a current price list
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

I've now got a case for it. Got it on Fleabay. Supposed to be in the UK is the seller, but the parcel has taken ages to arrive and has come from Hong Kong. I have a feeling that Hong Kong is not a UK island Get the game tomorrow. I very nearly gave up on the case and got an accessories kit - good job I didn't!
greencreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2007, 14:48   #21
greencreeper
Inactive

greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star
greencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny stargreencreeper has a nice shiny star

It's a nifty little thing - much smaller than I imagined. I had to get the "more brain training" because Chavgos didn't have the plain "brain training". I've had a go with it, and it is quite addictive - I was drawn to the suduko. My brain age is supposedly 84, IIRC. I'm not convinced. Let's take a look at FPS games... I've played the original Half-Life many, many times, and can now play it knowing where all the triggers and aliens are, and with a high degree of weapon accuracy. I maybe die two or three times in total, if that (excluding the dodgy Zen bit, which I'm not keen on). It's an FPS game. That should mean I can play any FPS game with the same skill. This is not the case. Why? Because every game is different, and the skills learnt in one game are not always transferrable to another. According to the Brain Training, repeating the same exercises over and over will improve your brain - I think it just improves your skill at the exercises, and doesn't give you anything useful you can transfer elsewhere.
Old 27-12-2007, 14:51   #22
zing_deleted

I disagree repetition becomes instinct

In Kung Fu I practiced a lot of techniques over and over again started off struggling as time went by I got more proficient then before you know it its becomes reflex someone throws a punch your block it and think wow how did I block that or something drops off the side and you catch it . So the repeated training makes you sharp. I expect this brain training will do the same in time the exercises will become instinct or a reflex and you will be come sharper.
Old 27-12-2007, 14:58   #23
greencreeper
Inactive

Exactly, zingle - but only at the exercises. Being good at Kung Fu isn't going to help much with, say, kick boxing, is it? Completely different set of moves. With Brain Training, how often in life have you encountered letters moving in a circle, from which you have to determine the correct word? Or have to repeatedly deduct 9 from eighty-something?
Old 27-12-2007, 15:13   #24
zing_deleted

well actually it does as its more than just a series of punches and kicks it makes you sharp and a sharp mind can take up more information. I can use boxing kickboxing and kung fu all in one fight depending on the opponent . I think the point is making your brain sharp so it can take in more information more efficiently as an unfit lethargic person will struggle to learn new tasks a fit sharp energetic person with have more vigour in sure the same is so for the mind
Old 27-12-2007, 15:19   #25
greencreeper
Inactive

I think you're generalising, zing - "brain is sharp at one thing, therefore sharp at all things". I'm not convinced. And all the training in the world won't stop you, one day, ending up in a home, sat in a puddle of ****, wearing someone else's teeth, and not knowing what your name is or what day it is
Old 27-12-2007, 16:46   #26
zing_deleted

no what im saying is you get the brain sharp so its more efficient. The aging process is something that you can ward off for a while by being fit and I believe the brain is the same. Of course disease of the body or mind can bring it on or destroy us all
Old 19-01-2008, 17:47   #27
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

I've just spent 7 hours going around every shop in my town looking for a Black one for my mum, every place had sold out, The only place that we could find them was Toys R us selling a bundled pink one + 4 games for £180, my mum doesn't want pink.
Old 19-01-2008, 21:03   #28
greencreeper
Inactive

I got my mum a black one from Amazon, homer. I thought I'd got it from Ebay but on checking, it was actually Amazon, though the guy does have an Ebay shop according to his email signature. "Wayne's Movies and Games"

Mum is now hooked on it, and has bought more games. My brain age is 80, which is fine - at that age, dementia will be next and nothing will matter then because I won't be able to remember to worry.
Old 20-01-2008, 02:51   #29
AndrewJ
Inactive

AndrewJ has a nice shiny star
AndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny starAndrewJ has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I've just spent 7 hours going around every shop in my town looking for a Black one for my mum, every place had sold out, The only place that we could find them was Toys R us selling a bundled pink one + 4 games for £180, my mum doesn't want pink.
Comet Oldham £99 without a game black in stock.
AndrewJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2008, 17:52   #30
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Rocking Horse Poop is easier to get than a NDL in my town.