Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | DS Wifi Connection ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Gaming Discussion > Nintendo Games Systems

DS Wifi Connection ?

Old 19-11-2007, 16:49   #1
icestar2
Inactive

Services: Phone, HDTV, 30MB BB, Tivo
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
icestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appealicestar2 has a bronzed appeal
DS Wifi Connection ?

I ask for my fellow DS owner's help once again I want to connect it to the web and am usually good with these things but I'd rather check with other owner's before going ahead and buying the hardware for connection.

Do I just need a Wifi doogle ? I will be connecting through the PC so hopefully thats all I need. Are there any things I should know ? and lastly any1 else who's setup theres what can you do ? thanks guys/gals.
icestar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-11-2007, 01:32   #2
Gareth
cf.mega poster

Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Gareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny starsGareth has a pair of shiny stars
Re: DS Wifi Connection ?

Not sure if you still need answers to your questions, mate, but just in case you do.....

The Nintendo Wifi USB connector is what you'll need if you've not got a wireless router. They're expensive... not sure if there are cheaper 3rd party ones you can use instead. You'll not need anything else to get online (apart from a DS and some games of course )

They're easy to set up. At the bottom of the setup screen is a button for using the USB connector, so just select that instead of setting up a wireless setting.

Personally I've got a wireless router so I use that instead. It works well but Nintendo only made the DS compatible with WEP encryption instead of the more secure WPA. This isn't relevant if you're using the USB connector, but it sucks for everyone else.

I guess the only other thing that you may need to be aware of is if you're using imported games you will find that some of them are restricted to which server you're able to connect to, so if you've imported a game from Japan then (for some games) you'll only be able to play on Asian servers, which means your ping will suck. It's not all games that are like this though.

What online games have you got? Mario Kart DS is awesome online
Gareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2008, 11:53   #3
psychocydd
Inactive

psychocydd is an unknown quantity at this point

also just a note.

when trying to connect my daughters ds to the internet it would only run on the b setting of the router..
g setting is too fast for it and drops you connection between 5-10 secs.
psychocydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 20:13   #4
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

I wanted to transfer my points from Pogo Island to my account. I can't access it via my router as it's WPA encrypted. Would I be putting my lappie at risk by changing it to WEP, or isn't work the risk?
moiraf100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 20:56   #5
Ricksta7
Inactive

Services: 10Mb Virgin Media BB
Ricksta7 is on a distinguished roadRicksta7 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't se it being a serious risk tbh... after all no wireless encryption is 100% secure

Can you use WEP and MAC filtering together to make it that little bit more secure? I know it works for normal devices, but would a DS be ok using MAC filtering? (I mean with it being fussey lol) worth a shot?
Ricksta7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 00:27   #6
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

Of course, WEP doesn't matter in most neighbourhoods, but to be fair if someone really wants access, they'll do anything to get in so Ricksta7 is right, no wireless encryption is 100% secure.

You do get inquisitive people who think they know a lot and download backtrack thinking they're a hero, but if you're using it on your laptop rather than your main router (which is likely to be on 24/7), you should be fine. I would try to restrict access as much as possible however... just incase

The WEP vs WPA2 scenario is the only reason our DS's aren't connected up... I'm way too paranoid
jonifen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:00   #7
moiraf100
Inactive

Services: M+Tivo: VM 50mb BB: VM M phone: 15" Macbook Pro 10.9.1 iPhone 5 iPad 2
moiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nicemoiraf100 is just really nice

I spoke to my hubbie last night and he said NO in no uncertain terms. (he is paranoid as well)
I've been on ebay, and I'm watching DS USB things, second hand for about a fiver.
I might be getting a wii at some time, so it would be nice to connect to the kids/grandkids to play with them.
Old 02-08-2008, 14:56   #8
jonifen
Inactive

jonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nicejonifen is just really nice

The Wii supports everything to be fair, we use WPA2 Personal on our router and it works a treat with it (just a shame the access key is so long - typing it in using the wiimote is a job and a half!).

Shame about the DS though as the PSP got WPA access with a firmware update...
Old 07-08-2008, 12:52   #9
moiraf100
Inactive

I transferred my pogo points
I remembered there was an unsecured connection that made the odd weak appearance in my available connections. Went and sat in the car, picked it up - voila!
Old 07-08-2008, 13:52   #10
jonifen
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiraf100 View Post
I transferred my pogo points
I remembered there was an unsecured connection that made the odd weak appearance in my available connections. Went and sat in the car, picked it up - voila!
Which is a bit naughty... but nice
Got what you wanted, and its not like you use it often, so its a win-win situation!