Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit (Old)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit (Old)
Closed Thread

Old 19-12-2018, 22:27   #5341
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

We will never get the rebate back, nor our exemption from the Euro.

I find it bizarre so many people are happy for a referendum after the fact as opposed to hold a preference that we get it right in the first place!
Advertisement
Old 19-12-2018, 22:36   #5342
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Nowhere were we promised Hard Brexit. Indeed the concept didn’t exist prior to the referendum. Instead we were promised the easiest trade deal ever.
Indeed not. This is because the terms ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ Brexit were coined after the vote by the continuity remain campaign, which was trying to find ways to convince the public Brexit had happened while actually preventing it from happening.

‘Soft’ Brexit as defined by senior remain campaigners involved staying in the customs union and the single market. The EU helpfully clarified that the latter would also have required continuation of the right to free movement.

During the campaign, those same senior remain campaigners were very clear that they believed voting leave would mean fully leaving the EU, CU and SM and all. In fact senior leave campaigners likewise were very clear that voting leave would mean fully leaving the EU, CU and SM and all. It was one of the few things they all agreed about.

On voting day, everyone understood what Brexit meant, and despite calculated attempts at obfuscation since, I think the vast majority of people still do.
Old 19-12-2018, 22:37   #5343
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
We will never get the rebate back, nor our exemption from the Euro.

I find it bizarre so many people are happy for a referendum after the fact as opposed to hold a preference that we get it right in the first place!
Hilarious that you complained many times of selective answering of posts, but now you’re a master of the art, I salute you.

I don’t have an issue with another referendum, but there are many risks as outlined in my previous post.
Old 19-12-2018, 22:40   #5344
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Hilarious that you complained many times of selective answering of posts, but now you’re a master of the art, I salute you.

I don’t have an issue with another referendum, but there are many risks as outlined in my previous post.
Please elaborate I’ll addressing specific point you raise.

---------- Post added at 22:40 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Indeed not. This is because the terms ‘hard’ and ‘soft’ Brexit were coined after the vote by the continuity remain campaign, which was trying to find ways to convince the public Brexit had happened while actually preventing it from happening.

‘Soft’ Brexit as defined by senior remain campaigners involved staying in the customs union and the single market. The EU helpfully clarified that the latter would also have required continuation of the right to free movement.

During the campaign, those same senior remain campaigners were very clear that they believed voting leave would mean fully leaving the EU, CU and SM and all. In fact senior leave campaigners likewise were very clear that voting leave would mean fully leaving the EU, CU and SM and all. It was one of the few things they all agreed about.

On voting day, everyone understood what Brexit meant, and despite calculated attempts at obfuscation since, I think the vast majority of people still do.
I’d be happy to agree if your final point was out to a vote.
Old 19-12-2018, 22:49   #5345
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Please elaborate I’ll addressing specific point you raise.
Ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
On that we can both agree. One of my main points through this discussion that my previous posts will back up.

You’re absolutely correct, we were promised “Brexit”. But that Brexit was leaving all the EU institutions, including the Single Market and Customs Union. That is what was sent to every home in the UK, and debated. Would you call that a “Hard Brexit”?
Agree/disagree....why etc.

Quote:
We were, we’ll know when we start negotiating it. We need to sort out the “withdrawal agreement” or not....first.
Agree/disagree etc...

Quote:
Brexit hasn’t happened yet. We don’t know the effect of Brexit as it hasn’t happened. How can you hold anything to account that hasn’t Happened?
Agree/ disagree etc

---------- Post added at 22:49 ---------- Previous post was at 22:47 ----------

Quote:

I’d be happy to agree if your final point was out to a vote.
Won’t happen yet, as there is no guarantee Remain will win and for the other reasons I outlined.
Old 19-12-2018, 22:55   #5346
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I’m quite sure the search function would help you, and any new entrants to the thread, identify my stance. You raised no new meaningful points and I decided to save us from the circular arguments around Brexit as a whole.

If you must I’ll go disagree disagree disagree disagree.
Old 19-12-2018, 23:00   #5347
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Another Brexit referendum will become a "plausible" way forward if there is deadlock in Parliament, Work and Pensions Secretary Amber Rudd has said.
She told ITV's Peston that while she did not personally support another vote, the case for one would grow if MPs could not agree another solution.
She said she hoped MPs would back Theresa May's deal with the EU next month but it would be "very difficult".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46626967
Old 19-12-2018, 23:03   #5348
jfman
Architect of Ideas

Amber “newly promoted” Rudd has a lot of opinions. You’d think they’d have measured the chances of this happening before appointing her. Unless they did...
Old 19-12-2018, 23:12   #5349
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
I’m quite sure the search function would help you, and any new entrants to the thread, identify my stance. You raised no new meaningful points and I decided to save us from the circular arguments around Brexit as a whole.

If you must I’ll go disagree disagree disagree disagree.
You are truly pathetic.

3no. Simple questions.

1. Was the version of Brexit promoted before the referendum by all the pro-Remain players, including the Government, what we would call a hard Brexit? Yes/no?

2. You complain that brexiteers claim this would be the easiest trade deal ever and why haven’t they delivered it. Yet the trade deal isn’t up for discussion yet. It is the withdrawal deal we are currently negotiating and voting over. Yes/no?

3. You claim that that MPs are only held to account every 5 years, and pretty much they can say and do what they want inbetween, and deliver sod all, As if they fail we can get rid after that term.

But we can’t wait and see if brexit is delivered, live it for a few years and decide or not If we like it?

For you we have to determine this before the outcome has been realised or lived up through, which goes against all of that. Yes/no?

---------- Post added at 23:12 ---------- Previous post was at 23:11 ----------

Quote:
Amber “newly promoted” Rudd has a lot of opinions. You’d think they’d have measured the chances of this happening before appointing her. Unless they did...
Another “Stupid Women” is she?
Old 19-12-2018, 23:15   #5350
jfman
Architect of Ideas

You removed your own right to my reply at “truly pathetic”. You are not worthy of an educated and articulate reply.

I’ll address one single point, solely because of misogyny. I may not agree with Amber Rudd on many things, but she isn’t a stupid woman. I believe her actions are deliberate and a conscious collaboration with another woman who wants to remain. The conscious choice was made to elevate Ms Rudd from bitter backbench MP to prominent Secretary of State.

Last edited by jfman; 19-12-2018 at 23:23.
Old 19-12-2018, 23:33   #5351
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Quote:
You removed your own right to my reply at “truly pathetic”. You are not worthy of an educated and articulate reply.

I’ll address one single point, solely because of misogyny. I may not agree with Amber Rudd on many things, but she isn’t a stupid woman. I believe her actions are deliberate and a conscious collaboration with another woman who wants to remain. The conscious choice was made to elevate Ms Rudd from bitter backbench MP to prominent Secretary of State.
You choose to answer what is convenient to you because you can’t answer the other, very simply, put questions.

You are indeed pathetic.

I’m afraid your stock as someone who can properly debate these issues has seriously decreased.

You can’t answer simple straight questions posed in response to your own argument.

I’m going to retire now. If you can develop a spine for tomorrow, that would be great.
Old 19-12-2018, 23:46   #5352
jfman
Architect of Ideas

I’ll answer anyone worthy of reply. Once again you use the disrespectful term pathetic and genuinely believe I should reply to you. The mind truly boggles.

It’s good to know I have you on the ropes though, it’s truly a sign the dream is dying.

Of all people to challenge anyone on the basis of selective debating it’s truly laughable to be from you.
Old 20-12-2018, 06:54   #5353
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

I'll bring this back down to earth.

A Leave/Remain referendum was held in 2016. The result was a clear majority for LEAVE. It is the government's obligation to deliver that mandate, either with a deal or without a deal.

The Remainers are not content with following normal democratic rules and are using every wheeze and argument possible to overturn the Referendum result.

To muddy the waters, we have a PM who is very difficult to read. Some think that she is craftily steering us to a 2nd referendum as part of her personal Remain philosophy. Others (and not many I would add) think that she sees it has her solemn/legacy duty to deliver the Leave mandate; I just about give her the benefit of the doubt on that.

As to Amber Rudd, she must have taken lessons in duplicity from the EU or Varadkar.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 20-12-2018, 08:20   #5354
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I'll bring this back down to earth.

A Leave/Remain referendum was held in 2016. The result was a clear majority for LEAVE. It is the government's obligation to deliver that mandate, either with a deal or without a deal.

The Remainers are not content with following normal democratic rules and are using every wheeze and argument possible to overturn the Referendum result.

To muddy the waters, we have a PM who is very difficult to read. Some think that she is craftily steering us to a 2nd referendum as part of her personal Remain philosophy. Others (and not many I would add) think that she sees it has her solemn/legacy duty to deliver the Leave mandate; I just about give her the benefit of the doubt on that.

As to Amber Rudd, she must have taken lessons in duplicity from the EU or Varadkar.

The leave choice on the ballot paper, was not the leave sold to us by the leave campaign. - What we were sold, is a huge part of the problem May is trying to resolve, somewhat unsuccessfully.
Old 20-12-2018, 09:13   #5355
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Some of the posts are bordering on personal abuse - desist this behaviour or infractions will be issued.

I understand passions can run high on this subject, but posters either need to calm down, or leave the thread until they can discuss the subject without perjorative comment, or they will be aided in this.

TLDR - calm down, cut the personal insults.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread